Obsidian Ant video - ARX: Thoughts On The New Currency And What It Means

Hello Hedgehobbit,

The 'Arc' product that was visible on the PS4 Frontier Store was a test product that should not have been live and has now been removed. To clarify, this is not indicative of any products coming, nor is it reflective of upcoming Arx prices, which we'll detail in the near future.

There seems to be a bit of lather over the quantities that points will be available to buy in, and the quantities of points the cosmetics will be available for sale in.

I appreciate that the numbers are almost certainly not tied down yet but I think some clarity of intent would go down well sooner rather than later.

Personally I plan to just earn the points in-game & anything I can get is just a bonus, I don't have a horse in this race.

In aligning the store front and payment methods across all platforms, would this not be a required step to enable cross platform play ? Perhaps there's a longer term strategic goal here than just scamming the player base into paying more for an item than is absolutely necessary by packaging Arx in to oddly mismatched bundle sizes vis a vis store prices.

I am a consol user, with an odd unusable balance of Frontier Points, which is irksome.

If they were to take the {unprecedented afaia} step of allowing purchase of user determined amounts of Arx rather that set packages only, then I would have nothing to object to, and would welcome the change whole heartedly. As it stands as a console commander it will be a net benefit, due to the ability to acrue Arx via gameplay. For PC this is currently looking like a retrograde step. I await further details of the Arx ecosystem before I can form a definitive opinion, but if it is a technical preface to cross play would PC be more willing to accept it ?

Personally I plan to just earn the points in-game & anything I can get is just a bonus, I don't have a horse in this race.
It's kind of weird, and I'm not meaning this as a veiled threat or anything like that at all, but being able to change ship cosmetics anywhere will seem like less a part of the game and more a tacked on micro transaction scheme. If I can just change them around whenever, they'll mean less to me, so I'll likely be less inclined to want them.

It's kind of like when I got the Elite Explorer rank in the game. Ranking up in it had been changed around so much and made so much easier that by the time I actually got it, it was very underwhelming, to the extent that I didn't even want to be listed on the Elite Explorer roster in the Exploration section of the forums.

Maybe that's just me, and sorry for the tangent. Your post made me think of that for some reason.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Deleted member 182079

D
It's kind of weird, and I'm not meaning this as a veiled threat or anything like that at all, but being able to change ship cosmetics anywhere will seem like less a part of the game and more a tacked on micro transaction scheme. If I can just change them around whenever, they'll mean less to me, so I'll likely be less inclined to want them.
I'd say the idea is that it'll lure more players to the liveries section, with a view to make more purchases.

Sometimes when I change paintjobs, I come across new ones, and that might tempt one to go shopping - it all makes sense if you think about it - making it easier to review a paintjob in-game, the need to improve the quality of them as a result, purchasing them directly in-game via Arx.

I don't mind any of it though (Arx concerns notwithstanding), and I do hope many of the paintjobs I already own will get a makeover as some have some shocking issues, which I only noticed after I purchased them.

Whilst there can definitely be some good information here, and there's also certainly a whole lot of genuinely nice people here, the Elite Dangerous community does not revolve purely around these forums. ;). :p

chloe.gif

As I've said before I don't really care about cosmetics, I've bought one decal pack at £2.50 (I think). They just don't really interest me.

That said I sincerely hope it's reasonably done and not more convoluted machinations by gaming companies to game their customers gaming habits. It might be ok for other games but this for (like many) is a part of my childhood and whilst I've no issues with deviation from the original, the introduction of modern gaming practices, however optional, might be something to make me consider my participation.

Just personal opinion, your mileage may vary.

Edit: The original wheel of fortune in the Engineers was a little bit like this for me. Turned it into far too much like a slot machine. Im glad they changed it.

Last edited:

It's kind of like when I got the Elite Explorer rank in the game. Ranking up in it had been changed around so much and made so much easier that by the time I actually got it, it was very underwhelming, to the extent that I didn't even want to be listed on the Elite Explorer roster in the Exploration section of the forums.

Maybe that's just me, and sorry for the tangent. Your post made me think of that for some reason.

Cheers.

I remember your disappointment. Marx has an Elite+ rank that compensates for the power creep, I think the equivalent criteria is something like 2 Billion credits now. But even when I did it (in January 2016) neutron farming was a thing, and the story behind achieving the rank(s) is what's important to me rather than just the rank alone. Some stories are more interesting than others but really they (the Elite ranks) are only worth what the player assigns to them.

I am proud of my achievements in the game because I know what it took for me to achieve them and some had nothing to do with exploration at all.

It's more that the rank wasn't the rank it was anymore, so I missed out on the opportunity of being able to earn it. Sort of like coffins being marched in a victory parade or something. :oops: Kind of a hard thing to explain.

But I digress anyway...

Cheers.

Last edited:
The Elite-bucks are nothing shocking, but still a "feature" introduced with revenues in mind before customer satisfaction. All forms of virtual currency get more profit for the developer as compared to straighforward cash transactions.

I have bought Frontier Points before on my PS4 account, and funnily enough the points in a package are never quite neatly divisible by the price of cosmetics. That's how it works.

So well, it's no scam nor unheard of business idea, but it does sound a bit funny that they try to present it as one of the yearly "updates" meant to keep the game fresh. It would've been much classier to just implement this new system one fine day, without trumpeting it months in advance as an "update".

With the onboarding of TenCent complete...we can watch its influence on our game.

Much the same happened when Arena net hired Crystin Cox from Nexon.

Monetization, necessary for games to maintain their income, come with changes to the game play itself to support the monetization program. If you want to see the future of Elite: Dangerous...look to the models that TenCent have used.

With the onboarding of TenCent complete...we can watch its influence on our game.

Much the same happened when Arena net hired Crystin Cox from Nexon.

Monetization, necessary for games to maintain their income, come with changes to the game play itself to support the monetization program. If you want to see the future of Elite: Dangerous...look to the models that TenCent have used.
I like this train of thought - which games changed their monetisation policies, and how, since Tencent became involved?

(I've already checked)

I like this train of thought - which games changed their monetisation policies, and how, since Tencent became involved?

(I've already checked)
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-launches-patriotic-alternative-idUSKCN1SE0CT

I would look to their new game...and see. My point on this is that TenCent is an investor...for a reason. They have an advisor on the board for a reason. To make money from their investment.

I'm not trying to be alarmist about this...but, in the end, monetization models drive the development of the game to enhance the income generated from the models....we already know that we will see the livery store all the time...it won't surprise me to see advertising about specials, etc. prominently displayed....

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-launches-patriotic-alternative-idUSKCN1SE0CT

I would look to their new game...and see. My point on this is that TenCent is an investor...for a reason. They have an advisor on the board for a reason. To make money from their investment.

I'm not trying to be alarmist about this...but, in the end, monetization models drive the development of the game to enhance the income generated from the models....we already know that we will see the livery store all the time...it won't surprise me to see advertising about specials, etc. prominently displayed....
That wasn't my question.

That wasn't my question.
My immediate answer is 'I dunno'...but they do have games with in game monetization..personally, I don't care..if the game changes in ways I do not like, I will stop playing it...not a fan of the way Guild Wars 2 changed...for subjective reasons...so, I am just watching the same thing occur again...and waiting to see how things will work in the long term.

There's a new Head of Marketing being advertised at FD Careers currently. When he/she is appointed, with paint-on-the-fly being introduced in the game, perhaps we will be seeing ads for store products on approach to stations. 😟

And Ads like this:-

Top Bottom