Obsidian Ant video - ARX: Thoughts On The New Currency And What It Means

Did you bring up these concerns when practically the same virtual currency (Frontier Points as opposed to Arx) was implemented in 2015 for Elite on Xbox, or in 2017 on PS4?

Do you feel the game and/or gameplay has changed since Frontier Points were implemented?

Elite Dangerous' virtual currency usage is 4 years old. Is Elite Dangerous more Free2Play now than it was in 2015?

I play on PC & hadn't heard of Frontier Points before the ARX FAQ thread, they just weren't on my radar. My wife says she has a similar intermediary currency on her Nintendo account & it appears to be a more or less standard part of the console experience, like itunes for an Apple device. My son has something similar with steam vouchers - he doesn't have a credit card of his own (he's 12 ;)). Paypal is another example, there's always a little bit of unspent cash in the account.

Oh hey, do you have a link for that? I'm curious, although I don't expect much.
It was in one of the recent fss threads. They are way too long to look though, and it would be naming and shaming. If you must see it by all means. Search for his posts and the word 'reddit' maybe.
My forum submissions can be found here, and no, i don't consider it "naming and shaming" to link and/or discuss my submissions to this forum. Please feel free to link any content that you feel supports your earlier assertion :)

I play on PC & hadn't heard of Frontier Points before the ARX FAQ thread, they just weren't on my radar. My wife says she has a similar intermediary currency on her Nintendo account & it appears to be a more or less standard part of the console experience, like itunes for an Apple device. My son has something similar with steam vouchers - he doesn't have a credit card of his own (he's 12 ;)).
Considering your regular activity on this forum and with the Elite community for many years, I'm surprised you haven't heard of Frontier Points. They have been regularly mentioned and discussed on these forums since their introduction, especially during sales and special discount events.

Considering your regular activity on this forum and with the Elite community for many years, I'm surprised you haven't heard of Frontier Points. They have been regularly mentioned and discussed on these forums since their introduction, especially during sales and special discount events.

Apparently a lot of things surprise you.

I address your point in the first sentence of the post you quoted - I play on PC & it's just not on my radar. If it helps you to more fully understand my ignorance I'm not a habitual purchaser of cosmetics either, although I used to be. I'm looking forward to being able to use ARX as a motivational aid for setting myself in-game goals, and don't plan to buy ARX packs.

... dammit can't hold my tongue/fingers still... Why does FDev use dev time on this ARX nonsense while stuff like planet surfaces and the unlandables have had no update in YEARS?!??!!!

How bout some actual content FDev??!!!!!!!!!! Not this money grabbing garbage.

This is what we get for feeding the devs easy money.
They will continue to exclusively develop cheap trash to sell.
They want more, more, more money. For less work.
This is why microtransactions is poison for gaming.

... dammit can't hold my tongue/fingers still... Why does FDev use dev time on this ARX nonsense while stuff like planet surfaces and the unlandables have had no update in YEARS?!??!!!

I share your view. However we have been told that there is a large team working on the Next Big Thing, and a smaller team working on the rest of the game. So presumably one is not slowing down the other by much, and I'd rather have something than just NOTHING OF ANY REAL VALUE FOR SEVERAL YEARS.

I won't be spending a penny in the store anymore. (and I advise all to do the same if you want to see the game evolve in other parts than cosmetics)
And my break from this game will be indefinite.. until I see some actual content developed.

I share your view. However we have been told that there is a large team working on the Next Big Thing, and a smaller team working on the rest of the game. So presumably one is not slowing down the other by much, and I'd rather have something than just NOTHING OF ANY REAL VALUE FOR SEVERAL YEARS.

I simply don't trust them anymore.
That next big thing could very well be Elite Battleroyale mode for all we know ;) (with microtransactions of course)

Recent history in the gaming world show that throwing "easy money"(buying skins etc) on a developer does not equal a great product in return.
As a wise man once said.. Fool me once... sham on.. I mean .. Fool me twice... errr.. I won't spend a dime more!

I also haven't heard of them until brought up recently with the ARX stuff. Could have been that I never bothered paying attention to it before. I've bought many cosmetics from the Frontier Store.

You must be easily surprised. I've been around for a while and until the video by OA I never heard of that either:)

I simply don't trust them anymore.

Yeah trust and frontier are an interesting one.

There are many valid ways to look into it, but i think the one that wins for me is i'm not willing to let frontiers meta performance take away from the very base sandbox. I know frontier have been working towards different goals and different users than me, and there has been tangible splash damage (the mission boards, the fss and general bugs). Still im choosing not to throw away the sandbox for what can easily be seen as fluff.

As far as their stewardship goes, if only from their communication they don't earn / deserve it, but at the same time, should trust really be a factor when it comes to a video game? Probably cleaner as their business and our entertainment. Let the interface be the wallet and the service.

I can also say you definitely feel better if you make a decision to pause the tips until you feel they've earned it again.

I also haven't heard of them until brought up recently with the ARX stuff. Could have been that I never bothered paying attention to it before. I've bought many cosmetics from the Frontier Store.

Same, but im not suprised. I always played Minecraft on java where mods and skins are free. When I bought a xbox for my daughter and I and saw the bedrock edition store on the minecraft menu where you had to buy point packs for skins and mods I was pretty disgusted.

Frontier always had these though so its a different situation, and getting stuff for free that was never free in game is cool. Like we all discussed its something to keep an eye on to see where it goes and how it evolves.

I've bought my fair share of cosmetics and appreciate it being straight cash amounts and being able to buy exactly what I want with no confusion or obfustication, if I ever feel like it becomes straight predatory I will happily close my wallet.

I do feel though all this stuff should have been part of the game in the first place but Im old fashioned and stuff like this is the norm these days.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

In terms of resources time, at least, I would think it is quite obvious that if they unify the cosmetic shop structure across all platforms then they could actually be saving inefficient resources and time used in maintaining and updating multiple ones.

Last edited:
In terms of resources time, at least, I would think it is quite obvious that if they unify the cosmetic shop structure across all platforms then they could actually be saving inefficient resources and time used in maintaining and updating multiple ones.
I'm no expert on consoles (obviously) but don't Frontier have to work through gateways provided by Microsoft and Sony? Can they really use the same systems over the three platforms?

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
I'm no expert on consoles (obviously) but don't Frontier have to work through gateways provided by Microsoft and Sony? Can they really use the same systems over the three platforms?

I was obviously referring to the same same shop content and commercial structure. At the moment the PC shop is fundamentally different to consoles and it needs its own dedicated and separate maintenance and update.

sollisb

Banned
To be fair... I'm going to make a logical guess that to earn what you've purchased for hundreds of Euros is going to take many thousands of hours of gameplay. FDev have stated that there will be a maximum amount of ARX you can earn per week. In order to not cannibalize the sale of ARX gift cards, they won't allow you to earn very many points over a short period of time.

Interesting...

So it's a 'limited' feature? ie; FDev at any time can change the amount you can earn, and force you back tot he microtransactions?

Right now I'm thinking... They can stick 'em..

I was obviously referring to the same same shop content and commercial structure. At the moment the PC shop is fundamentally different to consoles and it needs its own dedicated and separate maintenance and update.
So still three different systems. I would have thought that was the expensive bit rather than the manipulation of numbers within the shops.

Top Bottom