Oculus Elite: The good, the bad and the ugly.

Did notice I need to work on getting a bulbous nose to fill that gap, shame drinking is so tricky with the headset on:)

Think I've solved that problem too!

image.axd

;)

In the category of "The Ugly", does anyone else get very occasional bright white flashes? It's almost like someone's taken a flash photograph of you (and no, my wife stopped doing that after the first few hours and has now finished ridiculing me on facebook so it's definitely coming from the headset). It's very sporadic and typically while I'm turning my head. It kinda feels as if one particular position has triggered it but if I try and carefully look back towards the area where it happened I can't seem to reproduce it - but then it'll happen again a few minutes later.
I am fairly certain that is because you lost tracking for a moment. When you lose tracking, ED turns 'lighter' until tracking is restored. So if tracking is lost for just a moment it will look like a flash.

I love the SRV and am completely immune to any sort of motin sickness in the Rift. (Not so in real life).

I left the mouse widget on - it's the left eye position of the widget that defines the actual heading of the ship, so I still find it useful for mailslot lineups and hair-raising planet-grazing loop-ins to stations. :D

Glad you like it.

Stick with it for the nausea... it will ease off. Just take it easy in the SRV - its probably the most intense experience available for the Rift (haven't tried War Thunder etc yet though).

Alec - I get the white flashes too, very occasinally. They are repeatable if you figure out which direction to point your head, you can make it flash intentionally. I think its something to do with the star lens flare, but often when it should be behind you and not visible.

Last edited:
Sounds a lot like that but this morning it was happening while I was just looking around the cockpit of my Python while docked at a planetary settlement.

Yep I sometimes get the flashes then and when docked in a starport also. But I get them when playing on a monitor as well and it sounds like you are just getting them in VR so it's possible we are talking about different things. They seem to be happening less in 2.2 beta but they are still happening every now and then. I guess I should raise a new bug report as it seems we have to do that if a bug is not fixed between updates.

Cool, thanks! I think you're right - your service not-auto starting basically means your PC is initially in the same state as mine would be after I'd clicked my "Oculus Off" shortcut, which coincidentally means you're then able to fire up a non-VR ED profile with no problem.

!

Did some testing, the service now seems to be starting from cold boot with no intervention from me.

1. Fired up EDProfiler, set to 2d profile and started on monitor, the Oculus home did start up but elite was on my main monitor as I expected.

2. Exited out of ED and the launcher, switched to VR and ED started correctly in VR mode.

3. Exited to desktop, did not exit the launcher, switched back to 2d and ED started on monitor ok

4. Exited to desktop, did not exit the launcher, switched to VR an ED started in VR (preceded to play for 90mins! - time fly's when in VR)

5. repeated step 3 as expecting a call.

All above without any stopping/starting the oculus service

Not sure why you have to do service stuff, some more indepth comparison of system setups may be required.

Noticed the occasional flash with my Oculus but found it also happens with other games too, s guessed it was to do with the headset.

not suffered much with motion sickness, got it really bad when playing the included platform game and looking over the edge of one of the platforms while stood up.

With the joystick dead zone thing I use a joystick mapper as my ms sidewinder has a dead zone you can drive a bus through other wise, been using it over a year now.

Ive found in vr the sensitivity is a little more but not too bad that you can't use it . Helped I'm sure with the software taking out the slack.

Did some testing, the service now seems to be starting from cold boot with no intervention from me.

1. Fired up EDProfiler, set to 2d profile and started on monitor, the Oculus home did start up but elite was on my main monitor as I expected.

2. Exited out of ED and the launcher, switched to VR and ED started correctly in VR mode.

3. Exited to desktop, did not exit the launcher, switched back to 2d and ED started on monitor ok

4. Exited to desktop, did not exit the launcher, switched to VR an ED started in VR (preceded to play for 90mins! - time fly's when in VR)

5. repeated step 3 as expecting a call.

All above without any stopping/starting the oculus service

Not sure why you have to do service stuff, some more indepth comparison of system setups may be required.

Thanks, I really appreciate the time you've taken to investigate this. Following your post I had a quick go myself this morning but got confusing results. Although I didn't seem to run into the problem of ED starting up in VR when I didn't want it to I did get unpredictable behaviour from EDProfiler in terms of which graphic and control settings I ended up with. Often it would pick one of the default sets (e.g. "High") where I'd explicitly applied my custom settings but seemed to have the correct custom settings if I then explicitly switched to "Custom" in-game. But then I'd quit, re-apply my settings and try again and find that it now had the correct settings. Also, it never seemed to apply my selected control binding (despite having the Enabled checkbox ticked), often leaving me with just the default "Keyboard and mouse" option selected and twice leaving me in a state where I could use the mouse to highlight a Main Menu option but then not be able to activate any highlighted option with either mouse-click, keyboard or joystick trigger (on these occasions I just had to kill Ed from the task manager). I have to say, with all due respect to drkaii, I just don't trust the current version of EDProfiler and suspect that the problems I've been having may have nothing to do with the OVRService. I'm going to post something over in the thread so he's aware of the issues.

Thanks, I really appreciate the time you've taken to investigate this. Following your post I had a quick go myself this morning but got confusing results. Although I didn't seem to run into the problem of ED starting up in VR when I didn't want it to I did get unpredictable behaviour from EDProfiler in terms of which graphic and control settings I ended up with. Often it would pick one of the default sets (e.g. "High") where I'd explicitly applied my custom settings but seemed to have the correct custom settings if I then explicitly switched to "Custom" in-game. But then I'd quit, re-apply my settings and try again and find that it now had the correct settings. Also, it never seemed to apply my selected control binding (despite having the Enabled checkbox ticked), often leaving me with just the default "Keyboard and mouse" option selected and twice leaving me in a state where I could use the mouse to highlight a Main Menu option but then not be able to activate any highlighted option with either mouse-click, keyboard or joystick trigger (on these occasions I just had to kill Ed from the task manager). I have to say, with all due respect to drkaii, I just don't trust the current version of EDProfiler and suspect that the problems I've been having may have nothing to do with the OVRService. I'm going to post something over in the thread so he's aware of the issues.

I have noticed the keybinding issue seems to default to keyboard only for me, planning to look into that tonight - see what files are being adjusted and what is placed into them. Have had EDProfiler complain a few times that it can't fine the graphicsoveride xml file and had to let it create a new one, that could be a locking issue as the file is unlikely to have gone anywhere.

I have noticed the keybinding issue seems to default to keyboard only for me, planning to look into that tonight - see what files are being adjusted and what is placed into them. Have had EDProfiler complain a few times that it can't fine the graphicsoveride xml file and had to let it create a new one, that could be a locking issue as the file is unlikely to have gone anywhere.

Cool. If you find anything out I suggest you post it in over drkaii's EDProfiler thread because I'm sure he'll be interested to know (as you'll see I've already posted a fairly lengthy desciption of the problems I've run into).

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...er-Robust-Settings-Profiler-Switcher-Detector!

3) I've noticed people complaining about the side panels sometimes opening up and obscuring your view when you don't want them to. I know you can permanently change which panels open when you look at them in the options menu but generally I like the behaviour (for the side panels at least). What I have discovered however is that if they do popup unexpectedly, you can just quickly press your UI Panel Select button to close them again.

o7

One neat thing I noticed that may be super obvious but has proved useful: from my pre-vr days I had a focus ui button bound to my throttle, and the used a hihat on my flight stick to focus on whichever panel I wanted.. I've noticed this still works in vr with the panels opening, and staying open without the need to be looking at them (ie, it doesnt snap your vision as it did in 2d) which is useful in itself - but more than that, if I hold the ui focus button down without a corresponding hihat input to open a panel, I can now look in any direction without the panel ever opening at all - no more obscured views of amazing vistas but I get to keep the 'look to open' behaviour I love when I need it

if I hold the ui focus button down without a corresponding hihat input to open a panel, I can now look in any direction without the panel ever opening at all - no more obscured views of amazing vistas but I get to keep the 'look to open' behaviour I love when I need it

:eek:

Awesome find commander! That little gem is going into my original post. Thanks. o7

P.S. also thanks for setting me straight on what it's called ("UI FOcus" not "UI Select"). Original post now updated.

Last edited:
:eek:

Awesome find commander! That little gem is going into my original post. Thanks. o7

P.S. also thanks for setting me straight on what it's called ("UI FOcus" not "UI Select"). Original post now updated.

v welcome o7

You were halfway there mind, I thought when you said ui select button you were referring to individual panel hotkeys- yes ui focus all the way, much easier! :cool:

I am fairly certain that is because you lost tracking for a moment. When you lose tracking, ED turns 'lighter' until tracking is restored. So if tracking is lost for just a moment it will look like a flash.

No, I've seen these flashes and they have nothing to do with losing tracking and they don't appear to be reflections. I always thought they were something the panel was producing. They are random, very fleeting, very bright, and I can't reproduce them. I think I've only seen them in the beta - or more often, anyway.

I've added a new discovery to the "Ugly" section of the OP concerning the OVRService (which automatically pops up Oculus Home when ED starts up) preventing the NVIDIA vertical-sync graphics setting from working.

Just popping back in here to say that, as I enter my 3rd week of Oculus ownership, I'm loving it and am actually very happily switching between Oculus sessions one day (for VR wow and immersion) and TrackIR/monitor sessions another day (for gorgeous graphics and nausea free high speed SRV racing). If you're worried about the "you can never go back" thing (and I know I was) then I'd suggest that it's not necessarily as bad as some people make out. I think having head tracking really helps and I think getting comfortable with using the Oculus and that it's brilliant but doesn't have to be the only way you can play ED also pays off in the end.

One very happy and contented customer here now.

:D

Last edited:
Regarding the joystick sensitivity: I also have Hotas-x and I noticed the same thing. In VR the ships were kind of "jerky". Adjusting the response curves with Joystick Curves really helped me. I have profiles for flying around, combat, CQC, etc.

I also go back and forth between VR and Monitor/TrackIR.

VR is great for being in the game. I'm lucky, the SRV does not bother me. I love the SRV in VR. The sense of scale is amazing, perching on the lip of a huge crater and looking down always gets me in the pit of my stomach!. The Rolling down the side of the crater is also quite fun.

I like Monitor/TrackIR when I'm trading and traveling. This allows me to have my trade tools open on the second monitor as well and make notes on where I am.

Definitely easy to go back and forth.

Top Bottom