Oculus rift s available for preorder in the uk

So the Rift s is available for preorder in the UK, just checked Argos
I'm actually thinking of selling my rift and get the S, only for the reduction of godrays tbh 😄

How many ED commanders are getting the S?

Pretty underwhelmed by all the latest HMD's to be honest. So I will stick with my Rift and upgrade my system instead. I am going to wait to see what AMD has to offer with Ryzen and Navi first though.
Did you know you can reduce the god rays in ED by increasing the gamma? Works for me.

I agree, the new HMDs coming out don't seem to be a huge upgrade over the current ones. Unfortunately I'm not happy with the clarity of the CV1. My rig os already very good so I don't think I can squeeze anymore out of the CV1.
The S is an improvement, can't wait to get rid of the sensors, godrays and get better clarity. Price is decent too.

Increasing gamma makes everything washed out, i think it just masks the godrays. I'll try again today

It's kind of strange. If you increase the gamma, there are still areas that are really black. It's hard to know what it should really look like. Maybe there should be an image with a slider in the settings menu.

Going to let it play out a bit. must say while it seems a small thing the built in headphones in my rift are excellent and having to lose them and find an alternative is whats stopping me pre-order. Outside of that the marginal improvements are absolutely fine by me, infact I think its a good thing as it means it should run on the same hardware but with better results - whats not to like? So if it had headphones I would have just pre-ordered with Argos and lived with the early release bugs. As it is I will wait and see what the community thinks.

I ordered one yesterday. Looking forward to do an in-depths test drive with Elite :)
Edit: Shipment is scheduled for the 21st of May. So it will arrive this month.

I ordered one yesterday. Looking forward to do an in-depths test drive with Elite :)
Edit: Shipment is scheduled for the 21st of May. So it will arrive this month.

cool, i'm a little on the fence on this, I have a CV1 and have loved it, but the resolution and the god rays have always been a bit of a downer for me.

Looking forward to some user reviews, especially regarding Elite and the comparison between the S and the CV1

Please report back.

:)

I will do. I also own a CV1 and i am really looking forward to compare the two.
Luckily i started to save a little VR money here and there from day one when i received my CV1 3 years ago, so it was an absolute no-brainer to pre-order. Higher resolution, less god rays, dimished screen door effect and no sensors made the decision easy as well.
The tests i have read on roadtovr and other sites and the video reviews on youtube were quite positive as well. I will miss those excellent integrated headphones though.

I will do. I also own a CV1 and i am really looking forward to compare the two.
Luckily i started to save a little VR money here and there from day one when i received my CV1 3 years ago, so it was an absolute no-brainer to pre-order. Higher resolution, less god rays, dimished screen door effect and no sensors made the decision easy as well.
The tests i have read on roadtovr and other sites and the video reviews on youtube were quite positive as well. I will miss those excellent integrated headphones though.

Resolution bump, less SDE and Godrays is what is making me interested in upgrading. Its the points that stick out as most important for me with my elite experience.

The only thing that keeps me on the fence is downgrade of built in headset, and not being sure if my rather large senheiser headphones will fit over the halo...

... I will miss those excellent integrated headphones though.

The only thing that keeps me on the fence is downgrade of built in headset, and not being sure if my rather large senheiser headphones will fit over the halo...

Glad I am not alone in feeling this way. I am hoping its not an issue and that its easy to get a set of ear buds in place that will sound as immersive and 3d as the built in headphones do.

It's kind of strange. If you increase the gamma, there are still areas that are really black. It's hard to know what it should really look like. Maybe there should be an image with a slider in the settings menu.

Gamma adjusts the curve for everything between black and white, and increasing it pushes more of the detail in the image towards white, decreasing it the opposite, however what is supposed to be at 0 brightness will still be at 0 brightness.

Glad I am not alone in feeling this way. I am hoping its not an issue and that its easy to get a set of ear buds in place that will sound as immersive and 3d as the built in headphones do.

So far that's the only worry I have with the S as well, will my cans fit over it or how bad will the audio be ?
Although not super worried could just use my smaller sony headset that are on ear instead of over.

I spotted this today. I was going to think about it for a bit, then I remembered that it is my birthday next month, so that is obviously why Oculus are releasing it at that time and I'd be churlish not to buy it. :)

The main attraction for me is the inside out tracking, but I'll be happy with the slight increase in resolution too. I have it on preorder, so I'll no doubt update here when I get it!

Yeah this is painfull.

Also ordered a quest too the other day.

Going halfsies on that with the nephew.
Get his feet wet in it before he either says "meh" or upgrades his rig.
I also know he doesn't have room for roomplay in his current state. But the quest he could use in a much larger area.

Top Bottom