Oculus "Rift S" spotted.

From an Elite Dangerous use case perspective LCD panels are not great because of the backlight bleed. I would continue to use an OLED panel HMD for Elite.

For other use cases it sounds pretty exciting. Decent resolution, no sensors, very lightweight (if original Rift is any kind of benchmark) plus Touch, Spacewarp, Dash and Store are all best in class.

I will definitely be adding one to the collection.

Last edited:
A new upgraded Rift would be nice but looking through the article I have a few concerns:

• Inside out tracking, I'm not a fan and like to play in the dark / a dim lit room.
  • Removal of physical IPD adjustment. This just seems cheap to me and a lot less convenient if passing the device around to others.
  • No mention of a FOV increase, for me this would be a much welcomed addition, perhaps more so than a resolution bump.
  • No mention of wireless support.
  • No mention of a camera to see the outside world when needed

I'm not really sure what the Rift S will bring to the table that the likes of Samsung have not done already. It's a little disapointing to see what was once a innovative company doing very little for what used to be their primary target audience, PC VR owners. I really like the Oculus software (Home / Dash) a lot and a true 'next gen' Rift would have brought me back to the table so to speak, but from what I can see there is little to be excited about in the Rift S but I guess time will tell as more information emerges. Perhaps (hopefully) there are some features that are still securley under wraps.

Last edited:
From an Elite Dangerous use case perspective LCD panels are not great because of the backlight bleed. I would continue to use an OLED panel HMD for Elite.

For other use cases it sounds pretty exciting. Decent resolution, no sensors, very lightweight (if original Rift is any kind of benchmark) plus Touch, Spacewarp, Dash and Store are all best in class.

I will definitely be adding one to the collection.

I'm playing using a Pimax 5k+ with LCD panels. It is not as bad you think it will be.

I have a 5k+ and while I agree it's not the end of the world it looks a lot better in my Vive Pro.

Apart from the periperal vision which is missing which can mess with the sense of speed and scale. If the vive pro had the Pimax FOV I would be interested in it, but it doesn't. I like having the FOV of the 5k+ and I find the colours and blacks of the 5k+ perfectly exceptable, not the best, but that is the trade off which I am willing to make.

Apart from the periperal vision which is missing which can mess with the sense of speed and scale. If the vive pro had the Pimax FOV I would be interested in it, but it doesn't. I like having the FOV of the 5k+ and I find the colours and blacks of the 5k+ perfectly exceptable, not the best, but that is the trade off which I am willing to make.

It was a trade off I considered but the nail in the coffin was the performance.

If I could get 90fps in Large or Normal FOV at a reasonable render target then I would certainly use the Max for Elite, colour be damned.

I have tried on several occasions and the combination of downsampling, off blacks and poor frame rate just make the experience, for me at least, not worth it.

On the flip side the Max with Assetto has completely redefined immersion for me. I cannot use any other HMD for racing sims now.

If I could get 90fps in Large or Normal FOV at a reasonable render target then I would certainly use the Max for Elite, colour be damned.

I have tried on several occasions and the combination of downsampling, off blacks and poor frame rate just make the experience, for me at least, not worth it.

On the flip side the Max with Assetto has completely redefined immersion for me. I cannot use any other HMD for racing sims now.

Black levels are certainly a deal maker/breaker particularly for Elite: Dangerous, with black being so predominant. Personally I prefer the OLEDS for this reason. Had the Vive; resolution too low. Vive Pro is just too damn expensive to even consider for me, and Samsung Odyssey isn't sold in Europe. I'm following the evolution, but nothing really nails it for me.

Not sure what FPS I am getting, but it's very smooth for me. But I don't get VR sickness, so maybe I just don't notice it so much as others.

I don't get why people, when talking about performance and settings, don't include their system specs. Saying something like having trouble hitting 90fps on a 5k+ in Large FOV, has less to do with the HMD itself, and everything to do with the hardware it's running on.

Last edited:
I don't get why people, when talking about performance and settings, don't include their system specs. Saying something like having trouble hitting 90fps on a 5k+ in Large FOV, has less to do with the HMD itself, and everything to do with the hardware it's running on.

I have an i5 8600k, an RTX 2070 and 16gb of fast ram.

To be fair everyone is going to have trouble hitting 90fps with a 5K+ regardless of any setting or hardware configuration that doesn't involve down sampling.

I will assume that's targeted at me so fill yer boots.

Corsair 570X Case
Z390 MSI Meg Board
Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.0Ghz with 1.38 VCore
Corsair H150 360mm AIO cooler
Palit RTX 2080Ti Gaming Pro +100/+500 base/memory overclock
2 X 1TB Samsung SM960 Pro NVME M.2 SSD
32GB Corsair Pro RGB 3200Mhz RAM
Corsair AXi1200 PSU (Overkill for current spec but I was running dual blower 2080Tis over NVLink previously)

I didn't mention specs because I operate on the assumption that anyone into cutting edge VR will have a proper rig [up]

Last edited:
I will assume that's targeted at me so fill yer boots.

Corsair 570X Case
Z390 MSI Meg Board
Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.0Ghz with 1.38 VCore
Corsair H150 360mm AIO cooler
Palit RTX 2080Ti Gaming Pro +100/+500 base/memory overclock
2 X 1TB Samsung SM960 Pro NVME M.2 SSD
32GB Corsair Pro RGB 3200Mhz RAM
Corsair AXi1200 PSU (Overkill for current spec but I was running dual blower 2080Tis over NVLink previously)

I didn't mention specs because I operate on the assumption that anyone into cutting edge VR will have a proper rig [up]
With recent improvements to Brain warp software is a bit of reprojection okay on the pimax for Elite?

Hi Dr Kaii. Wondering if there's any update on the tone maps ever being fixed. Has Frontier even hinted at a remote possibility of it coming back? I know some people don't have this experience, but many do, in that the game in VR now is so bright and washed out that it is unplayable. It makes me sad. Is it worth holding onto hope or is this just a lost cause? Thanks for all you do.

Edit sorry I posted this on wrong topic and couldn't find a delete option!

Last edited:
Top Bottom