Oculus Rift Virgin user, 2 day report.

I find it puzzling. Why do you insist on using the mouse if you already have some galmap controls on HOTAS? Just bind the required cam pitch controls (see my controls reference I posted a while ago in this thread, use modifiers if you lack buttons), and there is absolutely no need to use the mouse for galmap anymore. UI tab next / tab previous can switch you from the left "long" menu tabs (realistic, map, pp) to "system" tabs (select, plot route, etc.) - there is absolutely no need to take your hands off the hotas.

As for typing, I find the "nose gap" both Rift and Vive have can help you with it, but that said I type for a living (programmer). I sometimes find it easier to use the gap to quicker find the F and J keys which have touch markers on them, than "immersion breaking" blind groping at the keys and type-and-miss if my keyboard is at weird angle. I do not use it for typing per se.

You're right, there's no need to use the mouse.

But personally, I find the mouse to be far faster for the large-scale rotation and translation and zooming with the mouse wheel is more intuitive.

I can rotate, pan and zoom in on a system, do the final star select with the hotas throttle controls (strafe left/right/fwd/back) and select the menu (plot route etc) with the mouse pointer, all pretty fluidly.
My mouse sits right beside my Warthog joystick, so I can switch between mouse and stick without thinking.

I use the Hotas hats for all GUI menu hopping etc in space (apart from the station boards, where I can use the mouse or hotas equally.

Yes, I peep out from the Rift nose-gap too. Slowly returning to touch-typing.

But personally, I find the mouse to be far faster for the large-scale rotation and translation and zooming with the mouse wheel is more intuitive. I can rotate, pan and zoom in on a system, do the final star select with the hotas throttle controls (strafe left/right/fwd/back) and select the menu (plot route etc) with the mouse pointer, all pretty fluidly.

To each of their own I guess. For large scale operations I zoom out a bit (same with system map), it's much quicker that way. For cam rotation and forward/backward I have the normal joy axis, up down bound to pedals, rocker for zoom in and zoom out, and some modifier for pitch, as the galmap often "forgets" the pitch setting in VR. For UI selecting - I have stick buttons bound to tab next/prev, hat for directional left-right-top-down movement and use that exclusively. For me it is working almost flawlessly besides some botched occassional jump from one menu "side" to another :)

I also realised that I posted my controls and instructional video in another of these "I'm new to VR" threads, so here is a link https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...got-the-vive?p=5250000&viewfull=1#post5250000 and the vid: [video=youtube;v5jG1w_YkDY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5jG1w_YkDY[/video]

You're right, there's no need to use the mouse.

But personally, I find the mouse to be far faster for the large-scale rotation and translation and zooming with the mouse wheel is more intuitive.

I can rotate, pan and zoom in on a system, do the final star select with the hotas throttle controls (strafe left/right/fwd/back) and select the menu (plot route etc) with the mouse pointer, all pretty fluidly.
My mouse sits right beside my Warthog joystick, so I can switch between mouse and stick without thinking.

I use the Hotas hats for all GUI menu hopping etc in space (apart from the station boards, where I can use the mouse or hotas equally.

I use it identically. While I could use the HOTAS exclusively if I wanted to, the mouse is faster. Hotas speed is limited, mouse drag speed is not.

For those that have never tried, there are (at least?) three drag modes depending on which mouse button(s) you hold down - left, right or both. A light tap on the joystick selects the system. Suggest you try it at least once (before rejecting it :)).

Last edited:
Top Bottom