Odyssey Alpha PC Specifications & Download Time

Considering you can pre-order for consoles as far as i know, they can't really do that. They have to optimize it at this point. But to be fair, i've seen alphas go from unrunable to buttery smooth in a span of a few weeks, so there is hope.

What about the statement FDev made about the system specs not changing? here we clearly have specs which will freeze out a lot of lesser/older systems.
Computer prices currently are astronomical (no pun intended) and we are in a worldwide recession. Most of us cant just pop down to the shop and 'upgrade'.
Playing the game on Ultra currently and not exactly looking forward to playing this on the lowest settings just to accommodate an unrealistic system spec benchmark.

Last edited:
What about the statement FDev made about the system specs not changing? here we clearly have specs which will freeze out a lot of lesser/older systems.
What's going on?
We will have to wait and see how the alpha goes and what can be tuned- FD have been quite conservative in the past regards performance (i.e. it runs on sub min spec stuff quite well). The lingering question will be old consoles though.

The system specs are just another indication that this is a “true” Alpha and not the glorified demos that we players have become used to - optimisation being one of the last things that gets done (from what I’ve read about various projects).

I wouldn’t be surprised if Odyssey Alpha will run on lower specs with various settings turned down - not too long ago I managed to get Horizons running on my old (well below minimum spec GT 630m) laptop with frame rates above 30fps.

Помниться писали что системные требования не изменяться, а тут требования на уровень выше .
Remember they wrote that the system requirements do not change, and here the requirements are higher.

Not by a great deal, most players are well above the "minimum" requirements to play, those with intel HD chipsets will probably struggle though.

I see this thread is going to continue to be mostly "I don't understand that alphas tend to require higher specs than released games" posts :)

I'm surprised there aren't more people complaining about the lack of VR support in alpha, that was a last minute ninja move 🥋

Computer prices currently are astronomical (no pun intended) and we are in a worldwide recession. Most of us cant just pop down to the shop and 'upgrade'.
Playing the game on Ultra currently and not exactly looking forward to playing this on the lowest settings just to accommodate an unrealistic system spec benchmark.

Then perhaps leave the settings as they are & see how the alpha runs?

In any case, the requirements may have been bumped to factor in that FD will need to collect data (possibly constantly) to optimise the game, it is after all, an alpha.

shhhhh!

blinks and thread page count 10,000
Monday morning ... people download alpha ..

1616836145721.png

I'm surprised there aren't more people complaining about the lack of VR support in alpha, that was a last minute ninja move 🥋
The Alpha Phase map made it look like VR wouldn’t be available until at least Phase 2 - we’ve been told previously that “true” VR will only be available in vehicles - so I wasn’t expecting to play in virtual next week.

I’m slightly surprised that it seems to be not coming at all during the Alpha period, but I suppose FDev said VR was coming at launch - which is (hopefully) technically still correct 😁

Perhaps my fellow goggle-heads are just happy we’re getting more VR for Odyssey than was originally planned - I know I am!

I’m slightly surprised that it seems to be not coming at all during the Alpha period, but I suppose FDev said VR was coming at launch - which is (hopefully) technically still correct
I hope you're correct - but if people have paid extra for Alpha and only play VR .... gonna get messy. I bet they can cancel the purchase until it comes out Monday, so hiding it like they have seems a great way to add salt to the alpha 🤷‍♀️

I hope you're correct - but if people have paid extra for Alpha and only play VR .... gonna get messy. I bet they can cancel the purchase until it comes out Monday, so hiding it like they have seems a great way to add salt to the alpha 🤷‍♀️
Doesn’t seem to be a thing they’re hiding, it’s had a follow-up reiteration post as well as the OP. A bit late to be mentioning it in my view, but I’m glad that they have. I would hope VR users (or indeed any players) would make an informed choice about Alpha participation - the Phase map is out, as is existing info about VR EDO. The info is posted in the VR sub-forum, so hopefully there’s not too many gnashing teeth beneath headsets next week 😁

I only play Elite in VR, so I’ll be seeing what I can achieve with the Alpha next week - my current plan is to use BigScreen to give me the in-helmet flatscreen that on-foot Odyssey will have anyway. If the 3D side-by-side option is still available, all the better.

Top Bottom