Odyssey Alpha PC Specifications & Download Time

do some mining
How do you do that?

The biggest problem that I have at present is, I can't find any of the mission objectives.

I've arrived at two so far, and ran out of oxygen in my suit during both, roaming around these "bases" trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do, to complete the mission objective, because there are no mission markers telling you where to go or what to do.

Ah, okay. I had hoped to experience the new planetary tech - but okay, I can wait (if anything, this game has taught me that).

I thought VR wasn't in the works yet for Odyssey?

That was FD's initial stance. Thankfully they came back on it, and now the ship-based action will be available in VR and the on-foot based part in flat (though indeed projected to a screen while you are in VR, if you wish to play it that way). I had just missed the part about the alpha not supporting VR yet.

dayrth

Volunteer Moderator
The heck. That's weird. Have no armchair IT support answers left to give'ya. If it's any comfort, I still haven't finished download and install. Started like 2 1/2 hours ago, and it's only halfway through "sync". (Hint: don't download over Wifi...)
No worries. I should know better than to try to do anything on release day ;)

Just tried again and there it is 😁

1. Missions sucks.
2. How to earn money without ship if we can't have another suit with other stuff? Just powerlink, and profile analyzer is just not enough.
3. There is a bit dark in there!

Last edited:
showed up to my first mission without buying any gear, every door requires a laser cutter haha

feels very cool so far though
could you please tell us your system specs hardware drivers and windows version a lot of us are have crash to desktop might helps find solutions

1h to go. Woohoo!
Thanks for everyones useful feedback on what to do when ones further back on the startup curve finally get there.

went for a run to occupy some time and vent frustration positively, getting there.

Last edited:
No worries. I should know better than to try to do anything on release day ;)

Just tried again and there it is 😁
Release days are the WORST! The anxiety, the wants, the urge to have it and try it, and the frustration, which ends in full out rage over not getting it..AAAArhg. LOL. Anyway... still waiting for my ' "sync" to finish. Says only 1 hr left now. bhwaaaah

1.Ask for refund
2. Go play something else
3. Happy life :p
I was thinking earlier that perhaps they need to have alpha testers sign an affidavit or some form of consent form, followed by a 20 questions that have to be answered correctly to 90% or you're out. One of the questions would be: "Is this a finished product without any bugs or features missing? Yes No." Wrong answer disqualifies you. :D

Got to say I am enjoying it so far. Just completed first mission but it crashed twice during the mission.

Took an easy one from someone in the bar, to find an item at an empty settlement. 240k so I guess it's time to buy some weapons and gear somewhere.

Got to say I am enjoying it so far. Just completed first mission but it crashed twice during the mission.

Took an easy one from someone in the bar, to find an item at an empty settlement. 240k so I guess it's time to buy some weapons and gear somewhere.
Crashed twice? SpaceX would call that a successful test!!!

game runs like absolute no matter what settings i tinker with, 20fps max indoors on a 980ti

also been shot by every single player i've met so far, but that's not the frontier's fault

Yeah ...
3 hours later ...
q8oReuK.jpg

For the record, if anyone else needs to know, the name of the installation folder is "PUBLIC_TEST_SERVER_64". I've created my link and am now happily installing the alpha files onto my D: drive even tho' my live Elite installation is on my C: drive.

Thanks Alec and SystematicChaos - I had exactly the same problem. Main game installed on SSD on C: drive but want Alpha installed somewhere else.

To be SUPER explicit with how to set up the link ('cos sometimes you have to scratch your head a bit over the syntax 😘)

• Main game is installed on C:\Users\sinhedgie\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments\ (note I'm using the FDev launcher, will be different for steam i suspect)
  • I want the alpha files to be installed on my D: drive

So I create a folder D:\EliteDangerousAlpha\PUBLIC_TEST_SERVER_64

Then I opened an elevated CMD prompt (i.e. run as administrator)

Then I ran the following cmd.....

C:\WINDOWS\system32>mklink /J C:\Users\sinhedgie\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments\Products\PUBLIC_TEST_SERVER_64 D:\EliteDangerousAlpha\PUBLIC_TEST_SERVER_64

Again - sure others have figured this out if they needed to, just wanted to give an explicit example

Then ran the installation and the alpha installed on the d: drive.

I was thinking earlier that perhaps they need to have alpha testers sign an affidavit or some form of consent form, followed by a 20 questions that have to be answered correctly to 90% or you're out. One of the questions would be: "Is this a finished product without any bugs or features missing? Yes No." Wrong answer disqualifies you. :D
Then again, people pay extra to alpha test so I guess FD gets what they, err, get for.

Top Bottom