Odyssey Alpha PC Specifications & Download Time

Seems to be running fine on my i3-4160, thats with 32 Gig Ram and my GTX 1060. Im sure the 1060 is the workhorse here, but so glad it's running. Looking forward to more.

RAM seems to be the big thing.

My primary rig is 8Gb RAM with GTX 1060, runs Elite absolutely fine on High settings. With the alpha I can't get out of the starting location, because every time the system map is invoked it crashes to desktop.

My laptop has 32Gb and I've been running the alpha without a single crash. Executable looks to be taking up 6Gb memory.

My primary rig is 8Gb RAM with GTX 1060, runs Elite absolutely fine on High settings. With the alpha I can't get out of the starting location, because every time the system map is invoked it crashes to desktop.

My laptop has 32Gb and I've been running the alpha without a single crash. Executable looks to be taking up
I have 16Gb RAM everything runs fairly smoothly. Older GTX 980. System map takes an age to start up though.
I like the sound of the laptop as secondary platform, what set up do you have? Thanks

dayrth

Volunteer Moderator
Release days are the WORST! The anxiety, the wants, the urge to have it and try it, and the frustration, which ends in full out rage over not getting it..AAAArhg. LOL. Anyway... still waiting for my ' "sync" to finish. Says only 1 hr left now. bhwaaaah
Mine went up to 141 days at one point. I ended up just leaving it running overnight. It had finished this morning, but I have to wait until after work to try it now :(

I have 16Gb RAM everything runs fairly smoothly. Older GTX 980. System map takes an age to start up though.
I like the sound of the laptop as secondary platform, what set up do you have? Thanks

Gaming laptop with: i7-8750H, 32Gb RAM, GTX 1070 Max-Q. It can run hot (and noisy) when gaming, but it's generally fine with Elite.

I guess everyone knows by now that the ED Launcher doesn't properly download the Odyssey Alpha sometimes.
In my case It seems like that nothing is happen at all... It stuck under 1 Megabyte/sec. and the estimated time is switching between days, weeks and even months!
I have a 300k Internet connection which I can only use with an USB-WLAN stick (also with 300k potential), my PC works with 2x1TB HDDs (unfortunately no money for a SSD atm), purchased the Alpha back in January and guessing the servers might cannot handle transitions from IPv6 to IPv4... 🤔
I did everything against that could potentially disrupt the download process (firewall, proxy, etc.)... nothing helped...

On top of that... I noticed, that just the first 15 minutes are actually downloading something...
So I created a "Voice Command" with VoiceAttack that restarts the ED launcher after every 15 minutes to actually get a process...

Before that it stuck around 10% for hours!
After 1 full cycle (4 repeats) I'm around 15%...

FDev.... please.... what's the ACTUAL problem...? "Server issues/problems" cannot be that hard...?

I guess everyone knows by now that the ED Launcher doesn't properly download the Odyssey Alpha sometimes.
In my case It seems like that nothing is happen at all... It stuck under 1 Megabyte/sec. and the estimated time is switching between days, weeks and even months!
I have a 300k Internet connection which I can only use with an USB-WLAN stick (also with 300k potential), my PC works with 2x1TB HDDs (unfortunately no money for a SSD atm), purchased the Alpha back in January and guessing the servers might cannot handle transitions from IPv6 to IPv4... 🤔
I did everything against that could potentially disrupt the download process (firewall, proxy, etc.)... nothing helped...

On top of that... I noticed, that just the first 15 minutes are actually downloading something...
So I created a "Voice Command" with VoiceAttack that restarts the ED launcher after every 15 minutes to actually get a process...

Before that it stuck around 10% for hours!
After 1 full cycle (4 repeats) I'm around 15%...

FDev.... please.... what's the ACTUAL problem...? "Server issues/problems" cannot be that hard...?
Your network specs dont mean much, it will only give you what your ISP can give you at the time, Frontier uses Amazon Cloud to distribute the content globally and I was consistantly on about 4MB/s download yesterday so I dont think its a Frontier issue.

Last edited:
Your network specs dont mean much, it will only give you what your ISP can give you at the time, Frontier uses Amazon Cloud to distribute the content globally and I was consistantly on about 1MB/s download yesterday so I dont think its a Frontier issue.
I got in my first 15 minutes around 3 MB/s but always for a couple of moments... at one time even 20 (almost full speed).

I just want to understand why it doesn't exist an easier solution to this? :(

dayrth

Volunteer Moderator
I got in my first 15 minutes around 3 MB/s but always for a couple of moments... at one time even 20 (almost full speed).

I ended up setting it going then leaving it overnight. It got there eventually.

I am going to assume it was a typo and you meant 300Mbps network so 300 Megabits per second = 37.5 MegaBytes per second theoretical max

A couple of smoking guns, if you were getting 3MB/s at the beginning but it quickly drops, its basically evidence of a throttling,
  • Could be something on your PC ie that USB WLAN stick is very suspicious, (I hope its not plugged into an external USB hub) I would check the wireless setting (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz) and power setting for the USB port ie you dont want it put into a low power mode. Any fancy game apps setting network priorities for low latency network gaming, they sometimes get installed when installing all the spam I mean applications that come with Motherboards and Graphics cards? Any network priority mode will put long downloads into a low priority.
  • Could be something on the Router again might have some sort of "intelligent" network bandwidth that prioritises streaming and low latency gaming over downloading
  • Could be the classic ISP behaviour advertising a "max" download speed but then throttling anything that tries to use a large bandwidth over any longer period of time as they dont actually have the capacity for all their customers to use their advertised max capacity all at once ;), maybe do some googling about experiences with anyone else downloading large content using same ISP. ISP throttling is heavily influenced by time of day too as more customers using service in evenings for example and so some throttling is always inevitable but if it is consistant throttling at any time then it sounds like the ISP being more loose with their marketing claims on purpose as they have a fundamental capacity constraint with their infrastructure.
Trouble-shooting,
  • I would defintiely want to try and use an Ethernet cable, ie move the PC closer to the Router and just plug in an ethernet cable between the two, that covers any concerns over the USB and wireless aspects.
  • If impossible to try ethernet cable you could do stuff like plugging USB network adapter nto a different USB port (USB 3 or USB 2), uninstall the USB hub in Windows drivers and let it reinstall, use "USBTreeView" app to see if the USB is actually running as USB2 or USB3 and turn off any power management in Windows for USB under Windows Device Management > USB Hub > Power Management
  • Rebooting Router or even Re-setting Router to factory default (as long as your remember your ISPs configuration)
  • Try uninstalling and re-downloading a different game on Steam or something to test if its a generic issue or specific to Frontier downloads? Although surely if the throttling was at Frontiers Amazon end there would be tens of thousands of complaints. It .... could... be a single Amazon end point (its globally distributed) that is throttling, you could test that theory out by using a VPN to point you to a different geological endpoint but even then it would definitely be just a temporary issue and I doubt it would be a problem for longer than a day if it was an issue at Amazon.

Last edited:
I am going to assume it was a typo and you meant 300Mbps network so 300 Megabits per second = 37.5 MegaBytes per second theoretical max

A couple of smoking guns, if you were getting 3MB/s at the beginning but it quickly drops, its basically evidence of a throttling,
  • Could be something on your PC ie that USB WLAN stick is very suspicious, (I hope its not plugged into an external USB hub) I would check the wireless setting (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz) and power setting for the USB port ie you dont want it put into a low power mode. Any fancy game apps setting network priorities for low latency network gaming, they sometimes get installed when installing all the spam I mean applications that come with Motherboards and Graphics cards? Any network priority mode will put long downloads into a low priority.
  • Could be something on the Router again might have some sort of "intelligent" network bandwidth that prioritises streaming and low latency gaming over downloading
  • Could be the classic ISP behaviour advertising a "max" download speed but then throttling anything that tries to use a large bandwidth over any longer period of time as they dont actually have the capacity for all their customers to use their advertised max capacity all at once ;), maybe do some googling about experiences with anyone else downloading large content using same ISP. ISP throttling is heavily influenced by time of day too as more customers using service in evenings for example and so some throttling is always inevitable but if it is consistant throttling at any time then it sounds like the ISP being more loose with their marketing claims on purpose as they have a fundamental capacity constraint with their infrastructure.
Trouble-shooting,
  • I would defintiely want to try and use an Ethernet cable, ie move the PC closer to the Router and just plug in an ethernet cable between the two, that covers any concerns over the USB and wireless aspects.
  • If impossible to try ethernet cable you could do stuff like plugging USB network adapter nto a different USB port (USB 3 or USB 2), uninstall the USB hub in Windows drivers and let it reinstall, use "USBTreeView" app to see if the USB is actually running as USB2 or USB3 and turn off any power management in Windows for USB under Windows Device Management > USB Hub > Power Management
  • Rebooting Router or even Re-setting Router to factory default (as long as your remember your ISPs configuration)
  • Try uninstalling and re-downloading a different game on Steam or something to test if its a generic issue or specific to Frontier downloads? Although surely if the throttling was at Frontiers Amazon end there would be tens of thousands of complaints. It .... could... be a single Amazon end point (its globally distributed) that is throttling, you could test that theory out by using a VPN to point you to a different geological endpoint but even then it would definitely be just a temporary issue and I doubt it would be a problem for longer than a day if it was an issue at Amazon.
I'll try it after my walkies with my dog. Thanks a lot! :eek: o7

Mine went up to 141 days at one point. I ended up just leaving it running overnight. It had finished this morning, but I have to wait until after work to try it now :(
Glad to hear. I managed to install it on my desktop and I have an X-box controller on it... already in the first seconds a different experience (better). Being able to see the whole action wheel, muy importante.

Trouble-shooting,
Okay... I worked me through every point that you suggested... and until I used a VPN (test version) I get a stable speed of 7-10MB/s! Like what??? I set the location btw. to the UK and I live in Germany... I don't understand what is going on right now... :/ I'm just shocked... and somehow disappointed...

Everything else worked just fine with downloading something. Just ED had the issue and I just don't get it... :/

Okay... I worked me through every point that you suggested... and until I used a VPN (test version) I get a stable speed of 7-10MB/s! Like what??? I set the location btw. to the UK and I live in Germany... I don't understand what is going on right now... :/ I'm just shocked... and somehow disappointed...

Everything else worked just fine with downloading something. Just ED had the issue and I just don't get it... :/
Frontier uses Amazon for cloud distribution but not exactly sure which endpoints they use, Amazon has lots of global regional end points which will be decided on the nearest geolocation from your IP assigned by your ISP (whatismyip.com), might be worth asking Frontier which one nearest Germany is used, Amazon has a datacentre in Frankfurt I think. Or you could look at the IP being used when trying to download the game without VPN and use an IP lookup to find who owns it. Then you will have a specific example to give to your ISP to investigate as that route to Amazon when you are not on VPN is clearly having bandwidth issues.

Last edited:
Frontier uses Amazon for cloud distribution but not exactly sure which endpoints they use, Amazon has lots of global regional end points which will be decided on the nearest geolocation from your IP assigned by your ISP (whatismyip.com), might be worth asking Frontier which one nearest Germany is used, Amazon has a datacentre in Frankfurt I think. Or you could look at the IP being used when trying to download the game without VPN and use an IP lookup to find who owns it. Then you will have a specific example to give to your ISP to investigate as that route to Amazon when you are not on VPN is clearly having bandwidth issues.
I live right IN Frankfurt... lol xD
That's confusing me even more...
But I remember that my Amazon App got some loading issues recently 🤔

Anyway... I don't care anymore because I got higher speeds with a VPN but I'll investigate it more, someday 🤔

Thanks again for the help! o7

main issue so far - system map loading time when using APEX. I chose book local shuttle option, am in middle of typing this reply and map is still loading

My laptop has 32Gb and I've been running the alpha without a single crash. Executable looks to be taking up 6Gb memory.
Ahh ok, good to know. Yes, for me, loading of the system map takes long, but it does load. I wonder if that's something they can fix. The new map stuff is well worth the time it takes to load.

Top Bottom