*******Odyssey: Console Release ETA. *******

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
When will I be able to Purchase and play Odyssey expansion on console. (XBOX 1)
Greetings Commanders.

With the release of Update 5 on 1st July plus a few smaller server updates since, and Update 6 currently in development, I wanted to take a moment of your time to talk about the next steps for Elite Dangerous.

We are aware and fully accept the frustration that many of our players have had with their experience of Elite Dangerous Odyssey. The community have spoken, we have heard the feedback clearly and we will act on that feedback.

As you may remember in our recent development article, the significant amount of updates and development effort that has been done to fix and improve issues since the launch of Odyssey has meant work on our console release has not progressed as quickly as we had hoped. What’s more, we can see that the strides we have made through the last five major updates are positive, but we must continue on with this progress to give the experience that you and we expect on PC.

With those things in mind, we have spent a lot of time discussing and re-evaluating our previous plans and we have made the decision to prioritise the core PC experience for Elite Dangerous. Ultimately, we believe it is right to focus our efforts on the core Elite Dangerous Odyssey experience for the platforms that we have released on, before opening up to more. We know that the work that we do to improve players’ experiences of Elite Dangerous Odyssey on PC will benefit other platforms in the future, but the dates and details of the console platforms are going to change. We do not want to rush into confirming any dates or changes this has on our console release, as we must remain fully focused on the core Elite experience. Only when we feel that the foundation of the PC release is solid, will we be able to re-lay our console roadmap on top.

Elite Dangerous Odyssey is an important step on a complicated journey, and we must get this right, before we can consider moving on to these new platforms.

So what does this actually mean for Elite Dangerous and Elite Dangerous Odyssey?

It means that we will see more game updates over the coming months. We will continue to work through Issue Tracker, fix bugs and improve performance, but we will also be able to explore and add additional features, content and improvements into the game.

We will continue to give open monthly development updates where we discuss WIP content, challenges, the issue tracker and more. We know that the previous levels of detail for the roadmap and developer update have not met expectations, but we are grateful for your patience while we shift and adjust plans, in the face of such clear feedback.

Please remember that our team here at Frontier are working hard to support the game and our community. Behind every bug fix, design decision and community post is a person who cares a lot about giving our players best possible experience. I would ask that everyone remains calm and respectful when sharing their thoughts and feedback.

We all have the same goal and we will get there, together. Please bear with us.

o7 Commanders.

Last edited:
ETA Odyssey Console Launch?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210811-184631(2).png
    Screenshot_20210811-184631(2).png
    243.3 KB · Views: 177
What is the next announcement?

In last December: Developing looking good on both PC and consoles.

About 2 weeks later in January: Sorry guys, on console we delay the release to autumn.

A bit later: We suspended its developing until we fix the PC version.

?

A: Hope dies last.
B: Just foget it.
C: Hope is already dead, just forget it.

It's been delayed INDEFINITELY. they can barely have it running good on top end gaming PCs, imagine how it would run on a much lesser machine we are always being told our consoles are. Obviously I can't say with 100% certainty but I feel I am being realistic that they'll probably end up announcing they won't be able to get it to work on console.
Sure, totally agree at least on last-gen consoles.

I have (very, very) vague hope FDev can get Odyssey working on SeriesX and PS5. Last gen i have little hope, and even if it does launch i doubt it's going to be a great experience: like actual minimum viable product experience.

With the CM engagement so far i think consoles are going the way of OSX / MacOS and going to be dropped.

When will I be able to Purchase and play Odyssey expansion on console. (XBOX 1)
Greetings Commanders.

With the release of Update 5 on 1st July plus a few smaller server updates since, and Update 6 currently in development, I wanted to take a moment of your time to talk about the next steps for Elite Dangerous.

We are aware and fully accept the frustration that many of our players have had with their experience of Elite Dangerous Odyssey. The community have spoken, we have heard the feedback clearly and we will act on that feedback.

As you may remember in our recent development article, the significant amount of updates and development effort that has been done to fix and improve issues since the launch of Odyssey has meant work on our console release has not progressed as quickly as we had hoped. What’s more, we can see that the strides we have made through the last five major updates are positive, but we must continue on with this progress to give the experience that you and we expect on PC.

With those things in mind, we have spent a lot of time discussing and re-evaluating our previous plans and we have made the decision to prioritise the core PC experience for Elite Dangerous. Ultimately, we believe it is right to focus our efforts on the core Elite Dangerous Odyssey experience for the platforms that we have released on, before opening up to more. We know that the work that we do to improve players’ experiences of Elite Dangerous Odyssey on PC will benefit other platforms in the future, but the dates and details of the console platforms are going to change. We do not want to rush into confirming any dates or changes this has on our console release, as we must remain fully focused on the core Elite experience. Only when we feel that the foundation of the PC release is solid, will we be able to re-lay our console roadmap on top.

Elite Dangerous Odyssey is an important step on a complicated journey, and we must get this right, before we can consider moving on to these new platforms.

So what does this actually mean for Elite Dangerous and Elite Dangerous Odyssey?

It means that we will see more game updates over the coming months. We will continue to work through Issue Tracker, fix bugs and improve performance, but we will also be able to explore and add additional features, content and improvements into the game.

We will continue to give open monthly development updates where we discuss WIP content, challenges, the issue tracker and more. We know that the previous levels of detail for the roadmap and developer update have not met expectations, but we are grateful for your patience while we shift and adjust plans, in the face of such clear feedback.

Please remember that our team here at Frontier are working hard to support the game and our community. Behind every bug fix, design decision and community post is a person who cares a lot about giving our players best possible experience. I would ask that everyone remains calm and respectful when sharing their thoughts and feedback.

We all have the same goal and we will get there, together. Please bear with us.

o7 Commanders.

I have (very, very) vague hope FDev can get Odyssey working on SeriesX and PS5. Last gen i have little hope, and even if it does launch i doubt it's going to be a great experience: like actual minimum viable product experience.

With the CM engagement so far i think consoles are going the way of OSX / MacOS and going to be dropped.

It all depends on whether there is sufficient install base to justify the work.

It's been a protracted divorce.

It all started so well, the new developer, full of enthusiasm, nothing was impossible, taking on the world.
Then came the point that things started settling down - along with his PC mates, he then got into bed with the cousins.
Just one at first, very much a toe in the water but it meant that he could grow, experience new things
As the relationship flourished, more and more things were done together. Everyone benefited, things that one wanted to do, everyone enjoyed.
There were times of stress, disagreements on what each party should expect from the other. Which direction the relationship should go, what things should be focused on. Whether all parties should be expected to pay for things or get them for free.
but through it all, things we sort of happy.

And then came the other cousin. The one that had previously been shunned. The one that was suddenly going places and was the one that was seen to be with.

For a time it was good.

But the relationship was under strain.
The enthusiasm had gone.
It was now a chore rather than a pleasure.
They did some things together, made some improvements and went on some new ventures together but each time, the strain on the relationship remained.
And each time, the developer would face problems, he would take solace with his PC mates when looking for reassurance.

And then came the mid-life crisis.
What were they doing?, what would they want to be known for?, What mark would they leave on the world?

So the developer hit out in a new direction. He would do things that he had never done before but had always wanted to try.
The covid pandemic meant that at a time when they were trying to tackle the new, things got a whole degree harder.
The console cousins, had also had children. These children were quicker, smarter, more powerful than their parents and they were demanding that the developer respond to their needs as well.

But the developer was ill-equiped to deliver on his promises, so bit-by-bit he retreated into the safe space of his PC mates.
It started with a gentle deferral - we're going to sort out this bit before we give you your bit.
before moving to - we're in a bit or a pickle, sorry we haven't been talking for a while, we promise to show progress
to - we're in a deeper pickle than we thought, we don't know when we can talk to you
to - not returning calls

I wonder if it wont be long before papers are served - citing unreconcilable differences.

There are still a fair few players that play on console but the trick is keeping them there.

New content is a good way of doing that. If they can't create new content for different platforms the game won't grow.

Some players, like me, defect to other games and come back when there is an update or new content. I am happy to come back when Odyssey releases for consoles because there are plenty of other games to play in the meantime!

There are still a fair few players that play on console but the trick is keeping them there.

New content is a good way of doing that. If they can't create new content for different platforms the game won't grow.

Some players, like me, defect to other games and come back when there is an update or new content. I am happy to come back when Odyssey releases for consoles because there are plenty of other games to play in the meantime!
Unfortunately there aren't any games like Elite.......yet.

Unfortunately there aren't any games like Elite.......yet.
Well there's [REDACTED] but it's PC-only.

If you do have a PC thats not too old, there's a "Free fly" event at the moment, which could be a way to check it out if your PC can handle it and see what another spaceship game does / doesnt do compared to Elite.

Great answer! Saved me typing similar, thank you!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom