*******Odyssey: Console Release ETA. *******

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
In its current state the console wouldn't have a chance. Even high end PCs are experiencing drops in FPs
Best wait let fdev optimise

Tell them that. All they keep saying about ps5 and xbsx is they have "no plans" for them at all
Well, I'm not saying they will do that but it makes sense to me. By the time they get Odyssey working properly on PC (as we could be talking in terms of years) the PS4 and Xbox 1 may be considered obsolete for game and DLC releases, much like the PS3 and XBox 360 are now. I do understand the frustrations for console players though, not knowing what's going to happen with them.

DBs statement is absolutely trash.
Saying we understand your "frustrations" and not even using the word "sorry" ever, comes across as pure PR speak and seems not genuine. Or not even admitting that they have mismanaged the development without truly implying that they are taking any responsibility.
He is a coward, that wont admit that they have no handle on the managment of their resources. The excuses for screwing over the console fans is not good enough. It shows they dont care enough for us or dont need to. I have lost all respect for him and this company.
I would be surprised if FD could manage making a cup of tea on time, without a making a announcement of a announcement that they will be delaying a already delayed cup.
Oh, but please bear with us...

What irk’s me is that Frontier have said a number of things that don’t stand up to any level of scrutiny.

- Get PC working ‘properly’ before focussing on console. - ‘Properly‘ is subjective. What one persons say is good, another will say isn’t. No matter how much Frontier will claim that Odyssey is good, 5, 10, 500 …. Forum posters will claim it isn’t. ’working properly is a statement without ending.

- no plans for PS5 or XSX - utter balderdash, of course Frontier have plans for the latter consoles. The problem is that they either have unrealistic plans or unobtainable plans. They were either trying to do stuff on console beyond the skill of the developers or with insufficient developers to complete it in the allotted time. Compound that with a decision to prioritise getting PC out of the mess it’s got into and any communication could be undermined by any action a day or so later - result ‘no plans’

- Every communication is PC. - I do not understand why Frontier would dedicate so much time and effort over the past x years on consoles and then completely ignore that they exist. Everything is PC - every community stream is on PC and all comms is about resolving Odyssey DLC issues on PC. The best way to dry up a user base - ignore them.

What irk’s me is that Frontier have said a number of things that don’t stand up to any level of scrutiny.

- Get PC working ‘properly’ before focussing on console. - ‘Properly‘ is subjective. What one persons say is good, another will say isn’t. No matter how much Frontier will claim that Odyssey is good, 5, 10, 500 …. Forum posters will claim it isn’t. ’working properly is a statement without ending.

- no plans for PS5 or XSX - utter balderdash, of course Frontier have plans for the latter consoles. The problem is that they either have unrealistic plans or unobtainable plans. They were either trying to do stuff on console beyond the skill of the developers or with insufficient developers to complete it in the allotted time. Compound that with a decision to prioritise getting PC out of the mess it’s got into and any communication could be undermined by any action a day or so later - result ‘no plans’

- Every communication is PC. - I do not understand why Frontier would dedicate so much time and effort over the past x years on consoles and then completely ignore that they exist. Everything is PC - every community stream is on PC and all comms is about resolving Odyssey DLC issues on PC. The best way to dry up a user base - ignore them.
How old is your Console ?

About as old as the release of the base game.
Time moves on, when the base game was released I was running an i5 2500k and a NVidia 980 a potato these days, Odyssey would not run on that now either.
Odyssey doesn't run that great on my Ryzen 5800X and RX5700XT compared to Horizons, why would you think it should run well on a (comparatively) ancient console

Time moves on, when the base game was released I was running an i5 2500k and a NVidia 980 a potato these days, Odyssey would not run on that now either.
Odyssey doesn't run that great on my Ryzen 5800X and RX5700XT compared to Horizons, why would you think it should run well on a (comparatively) ancient console

Because not everyone just takes it on the chin 🤷‍♂️ some people expect alleged reputable businessmen and Officers of the Order of the British Empire to have a little integrity

It's been that way for a while though.

I guess my first disappointment was OSX getting axed, but Horizons had issues too:
  • Engineers threw ship balance out, where before a PvE ship stood a chance against PvP ships (obviously highly dependent on player skill) and after your only real "win" was to escape. Some ok stuff, especially jump range, but disappointing overall.
  • Guardians had a lot of things that really didnt impact me, nor did i care about.
  • Commanders was my real disappointment in Horizons. I wanted NPC crew, i wanted to multicrew rat ships and be able to sit in and train new rats on clients, letting them take over my ship etc. It just failed for a true multiplayer enhancement IMO. Very disappointing.
  • The Return was all tease and no payoff. Fun initially, but left feeling "was that it?". Disappointment personified.
Then there was the "Quality of life focus", which fixed some things but didnt QoL a lot of complaints people had, now Odyssey which has not matched what i hoped space-legs would bring: and so i'm left feeling FDev havent been on the ball since mid-2016. The last 5 years (five) has been all a bit like treading water. The game was still fun, but not going anywhere, with the big highlight launching on PS4.

But looking back at their statements over the years - there's so much that hasnt held up to scrutiny...

Because not everyone just takes it on the chin 🤷‍♂️ some people expect alleged reputable businessmen and Officers of the Order of the British Empire to have a little integrity
Where has Braben not shown Integrity ?
Odyssey in its present form simply won't run on your console.
He could have ported it to the consoles on release day and sold you something that simply would not work, that would have been a lack of integrity.
Software moves on, hardware gets old.
It's no different for PC's

I would expect early 2022. Around Christmas 2021 at the very earliest if they really push hard.
Where has Braben not shown Integrity ?
Depend on who you ask. The co-creator of Elite have some spicy opinion on that one. Google Ian Bell for more, if you want to know more.
He could have ported it to the consoles on release day and sold you something that simply would not work, that would have been a lack of integrity.
Irrelevant. He couldn't anyway. Even if he tried to (and he is smarter than that). To have a game/DLC/update on a console, you NEED to have sony and m$ to agree to release it on said console. It's the certification process. In its current state, Odyssey would NEVER pass cert. Period.

They might not care much about bugs, but they care a lot about performances issues.
Software moves on, hardware gets old.
It's no different for PC's
preodysseyqa.jpg

Time flies, huh ?

As for console being too old, may I remind you that this (red dead redemption 2):
33xhl3axtjx11.png

And this (kingdom come deliverance):
kingdom-come-deliverance-graphics-1501530021.jpg

run on the previous gen console.

But this can't :
ss_deded287426be89cab49fd16556126af08fd3acb.1920x1080.jpg

Go figure.

Odyssey graphisms are very well in the range of what those consoles can show properly. The lack of optimisation is entirely unrelated to that. The fact you need a 2000 series to NOT have trash FPS in a CZ, and a 3000series to have relatively decent FPS is quite an indication of the problem.

Elite dangerous has a very high amount of bugs, with each update they correct some and insert others. In addition, they have titanic times in releasing various updates. p.s. I'm still waiting for the italian translation

Some players, like me, defect to other games and come back when there is an update or new content. I am happy to come back when Odyssey releases for consoles because there are plenty of other games to play in the meantime!
Most people are like that, by a huge margin. The 'obsessed' types who play one game only, and then move to one new game vowing to me er come back tend to be very vocal, sure, but it's not how an average gamer works. Especially in the age of Gamepads and such. You can play the last few NMS updates, then check FS2020, go back to ED to enjoy Odyssey, move back to the new NMS updates in 2022, give humankind a punt, wait for Civ7 and Bethesda's new open world game, see what ED offers in 2024 and so on. Perfectly normal.

It's also why FD can ignore these 'now or never!" people. If they release a great dlc the vast majority will give it a shot, whether that is tomorrow, next month or next year. So there is no reason to announce any kind of date unless they are confident they can deal with the unexpected issues, and the 'OMG is there any hope left!?!?!" crowd will just have to grow up and learn to deal with some uncertainty surrounding one computer game.

There are a lot of rumours floating around that EDO won't make it to console, if this is the case would prefer to know sooner rather than later as has been observed it is subjective as to when EDO will be considered "stabilised" enough to allow console development to begin. I used to be able to remain relatively positive regarding EDO but recently this positivity is starting to wane as though feedback has increased there is not really anything substantial that is able to counter said rumours regarding console being scrapped. Basically just wandering if there is any truth to these rumours, as have had prior responses from @sallymorganmoore have tagged you on to this cheers in anticipation......

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
There are a lot of rumours floating around that EDO won't make it to console, if this is the case would prefer to know sooner rather than later as has been observed it is subjective as to when EDO will be considered "stabilised" enough to allow console development to begin. I used to be able to remain relatively positive regarding EDO but recently this positivity is starting to wane as though feedback has increased there is not really anything substantial that is able to counter said rumours regarding console being scrapped. Basically just wandering if there is any truth to these rumours, as have had prior responses from @sallymorganmoore have tagged you on to this cheers in anticipation......

Rumour:
"A currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth."
"- be circulated as an unverified account"

I was beginning to wonder where my weekly response to console launch plans was coming this week 🥺
I do absolutely still hear your concerns and worries over this, but the only thing I can suggest is...keep hanging on to what we've updated you with so far and trust that the absolute truths on any plans will always come from us as...well...a verified source. Even if plans change or go ahead with roaring success, the facts will sprout always from us as the confirmation and never the speculation.

Right now, as I've said through all of the previous weeks on this:

"Ultimately, we believe it is right to focus our efforts on the core Elite Dangerous Odyssey experience for the platforms that we have released on, before opening up to more. We know that the work that we do to improve players’ experiences of Elite Dangerous Odyssey on PC will benefit other platforms in the future, but the dates and details of the console platforms are going to change. We do not want to rush into confirming any dates or changes this has on our console release, as we must remain fully focused on the core Elite experience. Only when we feel that the foundation of the PC release is solid, will we be able to re-lay our console roadmap on top." David Braben, Odyssey going forwards.

We still have...well...I won't lie - much to do to get Odyssey "solid", as David says there - and therefore we're cracking on with it until we're in a position to move forward.
This above statement still remains, because we haven't had any indication anywhere, across all departments and teams, that it's under major threat. Any news further will always come from us when we have it. Sorry it's not more for you.

Don’t get me wrong, but when Fdev need help, they should buy HELLO GAMES, 2 of them will fix pc version and bring EDO on console and you know what? For free, without any pressure from above“ironic off“

but seriously, it would be a great idea to handle your community all together. My tip? For example only Console issue tracker ? Because, the issues on the consoles are still living and some of them are really heavy. @sallymorganmoore

Just for your interest,

we wouldn’t believe any rumored theory, when there is a clear information for us on consoles.

the clear information that is needed is: will EDO get an release on consoles? The timeline is not important only the fact that EDO will come or not?

we aren’t willing to give you pressure about the development of it. The only thing is what we would like to know is. Will there be a future for the consoles.

brief example, people who get the game not to long ago, decide to spent money for arx, a few month later they get the message, that the consoles will stop. What would you think as an customer? It’s not the fine British way.

So please, can you check the Situation for us ? A simple EDO will come definitely to console would be help so much. No matter when. The only thing what could get wrong, where when you tell us it’s only Next gen, but I think we are would be fine with this, because elite runs at the old gen not so good. Stuttering and anything else.

so please, we didn’t need any timeline, or release window or something in this direction, but what we need, is the confirmation that elite will have a future on consoles. @sallymorganmoore @Arthur Tolmie @Zac Cocken @Bruce G @David Braben

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom