*******Odyssey: Console Release ETA. *******

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I just want to ask a small question (rhetoric?) To date, what drives a console user to play Elite? Updates to the game are managed with the dropper, the game content is even rarer and finally some mechanics are excessively slow and punitive (if I want to go to sagittarius A with the fleet carrier for the second time it takes me an absurd amount of credits and even more to bring 20,000 tons on the fleet)
I honestly don't play much Elite on console or PC at the moment. I play other games, and drop into Elite every now and again.

Oh man, I was thinking something likeeee...remember Dino Crisis?
When they took it into that space station? Can't remember if it was the second or third one, but yeah.
Ahem

breaking-news(2).jpg

Not sure why PC CMDRs are banging around in an Xbox thread about the release for an update they already have access to. people are weird

Regardless, It seems reasonably clear to me that a decision was made to fix the issues on the PC release, then port the fixed version of EDO to consoles. Seems more logical than simultaneously doing PC/ last gen console/ next gen console all concurrently. Best ETA indicator is the state of PC fixes, for better or worse.

I appreciate the pickle Sally is in (getting squeezed for info by the community, but not being allowed to say much). But even more than that i appreciate the wit lol

Not sure why PC CMDRs are banging around in an Xbox thread about the release for an update they already have access to. people are weird

Hope Xbox CMDRs dont mind PS4 types banging on in your thread? We feel more like kindred (ignored) spirits, and your thread has traction,i'd like to think we're not trying to hijack it.

A GTX780 is actually more comparable to a PS4 Pro. The base PS4 is much weaker and coupled with the Jaguar CPU it's going to be a pretty mammoth task getting this working on Xbox and PS4 base machines at the moment looking where the PC version currently is.

The PS4 and Xbox versions also run at 1080p currently. I think the minimum PC specifications used to list a minimum target of 720p too although I think those got removed at retail launch. It's unclear what minimum actually means on PC for resolution and frame rate.

No not looking ideal right now for base consoles imo.

I tried to assess the PS4 specs back in May, not a thread that went well :unsure: , with the beta / launch specs. Funnily enough thought then it might have to drop to 720p:

The PS4 GPU isn't going to get anywhere near recommended specs:

PS4 Pro fares a bit better:

I think PS4 will be below even min specs, so probably looking at 720p dynamic-scaling at "30fps" :unsure: Yeah-nah mate.

EDIT: trying to work out CPU, obviously tricky given PS4 is heavily mod-jaguar.
One site compared a A10-6800K, which looks like it'll struggle vs min spec:

Or maybe a core i3-4130, which isn't near recommended specs:

This was digging thru PC websites that tried to find compatible PC hardware back when the PS4 and Pro launched, and match that to broad capabilities. So not perfect but good guesses from more knowledgeable builders than me.

Hope Xbox CMDRs dont mind PS4 types banging on in your thread? We feel more like kindred (ignored) spirits, and your thread has traction,i'd like to think we're not trying to hijack it.
We're all part of the console family so no probs from my pov, I mean it's possible in time obviously with the right precautions and assessments that certain Pc players could be allowed, if they relinquish their title of master and adopt the ways of the peasant 😁

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I tried to assess the PS4 specs back in May, not a thread that went well :unsure: , with the beta / launch specs. Funnily enough thought then it might have to drop to 720p:

This was digging thru PC websites that tried to find compatible PC hardware back when the PS4 and Pro launched, and match that to broad capabilities. So not perfect but good guesses from more knowledgeable builders than me.
Yeh I remember it well. I even refer to it now and again as it's still relevant. 🙃

It's difficult to gauge the actual Jaguar architecture but, to be honest it was weak even when the previous generation consoles launched and has usually been a limiting factor in getting the most from the consoles.

Both the Xbox and PS4 share a lot of similarity including that Jaguar architecture.

The Xbox Series and PS5 have a better start this generation with RDNA2 architecture.

Mostly wish, some clear infos. When they think elite is good enough for consoles? Because bringing new content feels like they are happy with the state of the game 😇

They simply cannot tell at the moment.
That's what Sally is trying to convey to the "Are we there yet" folks.

And in the mean time i do CG's both on PC (EDO) and on XBox (Horizons) wishing i have an XB Series X and EDO to play along.
But i'm willing to wait until EDO is console ready so i can properly enjoy it on XB too.

Apparently Frontier can state there will be console versions, but not when there will be console versions.

So that suggests that although they don't know how long it will take, presumably because they don't know what has to be done, despite not knowing what needs to be done, it is possible.

Apparently Frontier can state there will be console versions, but not when there will be console versions.

So that suggests that although they don't know how long it will take, presumably because they don't know what has to be done, despite not knowing what needs to be done, it is possible.

For me, that suggests they're committed to a console version, but they cannot tell exactly how long it will take with 100% accuracy.
Simply because they already stated Autumn and got a lot of Flak because they had to postpone it... so they will not state another date until they know that date is 100% certain.

That's what Sally is trying to convey to the "Are we there yet" folks.

And in the mean time i do CG's both on PC (EDO) and on XBox (Horizons) wishing i have an XB Series X and EDO to play along.
But i'm willing to wait until EDO is console ready so i can properly enjoy it on XB too.
Mate I know it, but my constantly questions are not addressed at sally, no ping or anything else, and like back in the days when Elite was in a really bad position, anyone cry’s a lot constantly over month with the same questions, why should we stop then? Did you think we get an answer when we ask DAVID or any other guy/madame in charge? This is the only way to show them, that there are peoples who cares the future of the game which they loved to play, and the most important thing is, that there are some issues with the lack of information. And now I repeat something what I’ve mentioned earlier,

we getting bugs due to EDO but we haven’t got to do with anything, bgs is a halfbaked game for some of us, because there are some things which can only can influenced in EDO. And for now, there must be a plan. Because it isn’t understandable, adding new features and content to EDO when it’s not so vital as it should be. Why I concerned about that? More content, more features more bugs, which will extend the „no information and no plans“ phases for us on consoles.

Please for anybody else, we know it very well, that sally and the others can’t do nothing for us, but they see it, and at the roundtable, they will inform the peoples in charge, that the voices still there.

For me, that suggests they're committed to a console version, but they cannot tell exactly how long it will take with 100% accuracy.
Simply because they already stated Autumn and got a lot of Flak because they had to postpone it... so they will not state another date until they know that date is 100% certain.
It seems to me that Frontier's problem is not that they don't know how long the console version will take, but that they don't know how long the Windows version will take. They didn't miss the autumn date because of the console version, they missed it because of the Windows version.

It seems to me that Frontier's problem is not that they don't know how long the console version will take, but that they don't know how long the Windows version will take. They didn't miss the autumn date because of the console version, they missed it because of the Windows version.

it seems to me we are both saying the same thing :D

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom