*******Odyssey: Console Release ETA. *******

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I'm with you, Unfortunately the last time they were silent about console development, we got slapped with the 1 year delay until Fall 2021.

That's a hyperbole.
The delay was supposed to be 4-6 months - because that's what it is between end of May 2021 (EDO launch on PC) and Autumn 2021.

Sure with the failed launch on PC, they do have to fix the product that was already preordered and payed by quite a number of players.
And then prepare the console release - just be happy you didn't pay for a product that does not perform properly on your hardware...

And no doubt it will be Sony's and Microsoft's fault if the console version for the previous generation fail to materialise.

It's always somebody else's fault than the organisation that is fully responsible for the development and production of Elite Dangerous.

Because Apple ceased support for certain tools required to develop ED - which you know very well.
And we're back to square one, with the ball in the Apple own yard.

And sort of in the same context...one of my coworkers is facing the prospect of discarding a perfectly fine Apple phone because Apple themselves are not supporting that phone anymore. Last ios version is 12.something and some apps are starting to require ios version 13 to run which is not supported on his Apple phone.
But yes, Apple is never to blame.

Because Apple ceased support for certain tools required to develop ED - which you know very well.
And we're back to square one, with the ball in the Apple own yard.

And sort of in the same context...one of my coworkers is facing the prospect of discarding a perfectly fine Apple phone because Apple themselves are not supporting that phone anymore. Last ios version is 12.something and some apps are starting to require ios version 13 to run which is not supported on his Apple phone.
But yes, Apple is never to blame.
Apple froze the version of OpenGL supported in macOS in 2010, so support wasn't ceased, it was never there.

Apple certainly didn't make their plans clear, so are partly to blame and Frontier made assumptions that didn't turn out to be justified, so I hold both parties jointly to blame.

Funfact: D2EA just reported in his Hello Dave video this week, that FDev currently invents new bugsources: Exposing telemetry of the game to specialized gaming seats, that shake you while playing and mapping more joystick buttons than actual 32 (!) possible ones. Yay.... really really high priority stuff, right? I can only imagine, what a bugged implementation that blocks the already working controlls would mean for the start of console development. Another potential blocker. Ooooh noooo... our new feature blocks the pc players with more than 32 buttons on their hotas from having maximum fun, oh noooo.... we must fix this first. Sorry console guys, you know the drill. No infos for you yadayada....
New Features to feed the pc community... I really have no words anymore for this... This can't be meant serious anymore, right? Is this stuff really needed for such an old game? Why are dev resources sunk into such low-priority stuff? WHY? Pc guys will be able to shake their a*s off, while we are excluded from EDO. Great...

Don't say different dev teams... sorry, but i won't believe that. ED hasn't got so many devs anymore compared to back in the days. It's an old game with limited dev ressources. Many a dev has been re-assigned (Fdev communicated this some time ago) and won't come back to ED.

Last edited:
Addendum:

See, I have full understanding for a rushed release driven by managment and having to fix roadblockers. All fine. Delay needed, okay. Making EDO run on the platform which has already sold EDO copies, alright... damage control, understood.

But whats going on right now (see above), needs an explanation. Maybe even from the great boss himself. Inventing new stuff and even more new stuff for the PC and telling nothing to us console players is a communication disaster. There should be no wondering about why so many of us are upset (even my friends, who do not write here are more than upset - they also watch also @Down To Earth Astronomy 's or @Buur 's great videos and see, that EDO is in a much better state than it was in may).
It would be all okay, if there was something like this:
"Dear console players,
We did not forget about you. Here is our release schedule for EDO for you. Please keep in mind, that the dates are our current best guess and may change, if we stumble across some bigger problems on the road. If so, we'll keep you updated. Please expect updated roadmaps/timelines not earlier than every two months. We are working hard on it, stay tuned. Making you catch up with the pc players is higher priority than delivering new features to PC, which is already in a good state. Be asured that any new feature (e.g. new interfaces for gaming seats, more support for many many hotas buttons or Emote gestures), developed for pc will not delay the console schedule anymore.
And for the meantime, we give you, the loyal console players, a temporary possibility to buy the infamous cobra mk4 to keep you in good mood. We know, that many of you never had a chance to get your hands on it, and we believe this opportunity for a limited amount of time may keep up your mood and trust in us. You may buy it now for the next 3 Weeks in Shinrarta Dezhra and keep it forever. Thanks for your patience and your loyality and your sticking with us. We appriciate your engagement in ED. "

Last edited:
Unless Cross Play is implemented, it is my firm belief that the console player community of Elite: Dangerous going forward needs a dedicated console Community Manager who's job it is to engage with the community and champion console specific subjects internally within Frontier.

Console CMDRs also need more representation within the "content creator" community. A lot of the feedback Frontier are taking from these people informs future development features (what do players want?) and lack of representation there means we get overlooked in the development road map too.

We may get the odd mention from ObsidianAnt, D2EA (less so CMDR Burr), but they are all primarily PC based, and are not really representing or championing console players' specific interests. (actually that surprises me, as Cross Play would bring surely them more opportunities for engagement/followers).

I also think we need our own issue tracker. We'll never make the Top 20 and again that lessens console specific interests in the development of bug fixes and new features. .

Implement Cross Play however and much of this becomes largely irrelevant. (with the exception of the issue tracker)

But in the meantime I really hope @Buur , @Down To Earth Astronomy , @Obsidian Ant , @Exigeous and the others second our wishes to get involved with the new content. We strongly need "advocates" on our side. They and their communities are kinda central social hubs for the pc players and might deliver some kind of "It's okay for us pc players, if FD shifts focus for a while to console development - we can live with the current state of the game for a while" statement.
And yes. We on console need a dedicated CM who presents and highlights our interests. We are currently 0% in FDevs field of view.

@the above mentioned grandmasters of ED content on Youtube. Please help us console players to get back in Frontiers Focus. Currently we are overlooked like an unwanted stepchild. Even when we ping the CMs we get kinda annoyed answers, that there is no info for us (and we should stop askin')... and no ETA for any information. We are on the dead end of the road. Please help us! This is a cry for help - before the console community has starved completely and gone away. A dead console community means even more financial losses on arx sells and results in less money for Fdev via ED, which results in less new content even for the pc players. This affects all of us.

Last edited:
"It's okay for us pc players, if FD shifts focus for a while to console development - we can live with the current state of the game for a while" statement.
I am not sure the PC commanders would be able to cope with not being provided with any content for 16 months (I believe Fleet carrier release - June 2020 until now)
Not sure why Frontier (well, Sally as she is the only one that engages with us) are surprised that this thread and the companion one on the PS sub-forum are so despondent

There won't be any CM reply, unless we ping them. And then we get the same answer that there is no info and no ETA for any info.

These threads should not surprise FDev. It's the logical reaction to their strategy to keep us uninformed and unsupported.

Even Sir Isaac Newton knew this: Cause and Effect. Actio = reactio...

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom