*******Odyssey: Console Release ETA. *******

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The real question here is : When FRONTIER decide to stop dev on the PC version and start to work on console versions ?
Then they will start to give us some answers and news, just like PC, and they will give us the wanted release date ^^

Take a look at the post and then take a look at the thread.

lol.... we've been over this before. The situation is slightly different.
MAC Elite was dropped because Apple ceased support for the OpenGL that Frontier needed.
XBox and Playstation are different in that they have actually deployed bigger, faster, shinier consoles since the point of Elite Launch.

Frontier have, instead, got caught in the demand cycle of PC commanders, with countless variations of Computer configurations, all demanding more, more, more.
Satisfying the demand has taken up all the oxygen and shows ABSOLUTELY no sign of coming to an end.
ABSOLUTELY no sign of Frontier even acknowledging that an end is in sight.
Update 7 was the latest pass at fixing things
Coming soon.... update 8 - more fixes
Coming after.... Fleet Carrier interiors, two man SRVs
(no mention - consoles)

For anyone that can make it out to my Fleet Carrier - in 10 days time, I will be celebrating 500 days without any new content coming to console.
It'll be a stay inside your ship thing. But we're just a short journey from Beagle point

MAC Elite was dropped because Apple ceased support for the OpenGL that Frontier needed.
XBox and Playstation are different in that they have actually deployed bigger, faster, shinier consoles since the point of Elite Launch.

Frontier have, instead, got caught in the demand cycle of PC commanders, with countless variations of Computer configurations, all demanding more, more, more.
Satisfying the demand has taken up all the oxygen and shows ABSOLUTELY no sign of coming to an end.
(no mention - consoles)

For anyone that can make it out to my Fleet Carrier - in 10 days time, I will be celebrating 500 days without any new content coming to console.
It'll be a stay inside your ship thing. But we're just a short journey from Beagle point
Do you really want the terrible Odyssey experience? Bad enough on top-end PCs. Imagine bringing that to consoles. Performance on anything ground-based is abysmal. Literally unplayable in combat zones.

Do you really want the terrible Odyssey experience? Bad enough on top-end PCs. Imagine bringing that to consoles. Performance on anything ground-based is abysmal. Literally unplayable in combat zones.
to answer your question - yes - on console, I want the Odyssey experience.

The rationale is:
Frontier have countless variations of CPU, GPU, Graphics cards, mother boards, Ram, ROM, etc in PC-land.
The build of the two console is static. - Known configuration. Change something, see how it works.

What works for one Xbox X series will work for all Xbox X series. Same with Playstation.

Once Frontier have a good build working, then build out from there and see if the DPS drops can be isolated to particular PC combinations, validating against the control case - the console.

The real question here is : When FRONTIER decide to stop dev on the PC version and start to work on console versions ?
Then they will start to give us some answers and news, just like PC, and they will give us the wanted release date ^^
Doesn't work that way. It's a PC game. It will be finished (as good as FDev wants to anyway) and then it will be ported to the console.

(no mention - consoles)

Maybe when the community calendar goes live we can have a console CMDR mass-solace stream?
We'd have to do one on XBox and one on PlayStation though as there's no cross play.

It might even make the Frontier Community Highlights stream. There was one today, there is a lot of stuff coming to Elite, apparently, just nothing for consoles, according to @Arthur Tolmie :
Source: https://youtu.be/RhsHHeJWTfc?t=3626

Also it's worth pointing out that, according to the background, the 'community stream' is not targeted at console CMDRs at all. (there was no mention of anything to do with consoles either). We mustn't be part of the community any more?

1634230223465.png

🥲

o7

Attachments

• 1634058344807.png
    1634058344807.png
    779.9 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
I mean it's possible I missed a reference here but is there anything geared towards consoles presently. Only watched first fifteen mins of livestream so may have missed stuff, I know there is "nothing" (O) wise coming but are consoles not even worth a mention now with all the new content coming. You don't call you don't write anymore 🤣 I'm beginning to think this relationship is very one sided 😉

@sallymorganmoore Hope you've had your morning coffee 😉

The one thing we have that might represent a glimmer of hope, and our first content update since June 2020, is the new SRV. It's currently not been confirmed or denied whether it will be available for Horizons CMDRs.

The one thing we have that might represent a glimmer of hope, and our first content update since June 2020, is the new SRV. It's currently not been confirmed or denied whether it will be available for Horizons CMDRs.
I doubt it'll be added to Horizons. Two different major versions. I feel like they also said at one point they'd be doing nothing with Horizons code going forward.

That's a hyperbole.
The delay was supposed to be 4-6 months - because that's what it is between end of May 2021 (EDO launch on PC) and Autumn 2021.

Sure with the failed launch on PC, they do have to fix the product that was already preordered and payed by quite a number of players.
And then prepare the console release - just be happy you didn't pay for a product that does not perform properly on your hardware...
Ok we haven’t pay, but we cannot accepted that there will Content added before fixing stuff! Simple and clear, every publisher tried to first fix the new stuff and then bring additional content. Some many example for this. And again they seems to be happy with the state of the game (ironic) then they should reconsider the development of consoles right? Because THIS was the statement from lord braben.

The point is, that they start adding new low-priority features (See above : Emotes, interfaces for gaming seat force feedback, interfaces for hotases with more than 32 buttons and so on). Remember, ED is an old game. Are such things needed right now? Seems they have free dev capacity to do so. They add new sources of bugs, while EDO is not on the horizon for us .THIS is the point. If this content will have bugs, they are new roadblockers for our console development.

At some point you have do develop parallel for multiple consoles and synchronize stuff. Otherwise we would have never played ED during the beyond update series, as the game was not "finished". We got updstes synchronously with PC. What's going on now, is that the pc crowd is fed with more and more content. And on none of the streamer's rigs odyssey runs stuttering, even with screen capturing running. Why? Shall we wait until the last messed up PC rig eats odyssey with ease? Remeber the consoles are only 6 fixed setups (base & pro version of last gen and legacy mode of next gen of PS4 and Xbox). Should be far easier to adjust than fiddling with a trillion different pc variations and driver installations combined with 3rdparty software, that hooks into Elite.

All I ask for is giving us some new info! If FDev has no answers, it's the time to make up their minds and find those answers. Now.

Last edited:
The point is, that they start adding new low-priority features (See above : Emotes, interfaces for gaming seat force feedback, interfaces for hotases with more than 32 buttons and so on). Seems they have free dev capacity to do so. They add new sources of bugs, while EDO is not on the horizon for us .THIS is the point. If this content will have bugs, they are new roadblockers for our console development.

At some point you have do develop parallel for multiple consoles and synchronize stuff. Otherwise we would have never played ED during the beyond update series, as the game was not "finished". We got updstes synchronously with PC. What's going on now, is that the pc crowd is fed with more and more content. And on none of the streamers rigs odyssey runs stuttering. Why? Shall we wait until the last messed up PC rig eats odyssey with ease? Remeber the consoles are only 6 fixed setups (base, pro of last gen and legacy mode of next gen of PS4 and Xbox). Should be far easier to adjust than fiddling with a trillion differentmpc variations and driver installations combined with 3rdparty software, that hooks into Elite.
For what it's worth, I do agree that it seems like FDev is spending a lot of effort on some rather superfluous things. (Seriously, gaming seat force feedback? First I've heard of it). They need to focus on fixing the basic underlying problems with Odyssey as their priority and then once it's in a portable state, start the port to console. The extra goodies and niceties can come later.

The point is, that they start adding new low-priority features (See above : Emotes, interfaces for gaming seat force feedback, interfaces for hotases with more than 32 buttons and so on). Seems they have free dev capacity to do so. They add new sources of bugs, while EDO is not on the horizon for us .THIS is the point. If this content will have bugs, they are new roadblockers for our console development.

At some point you have do develop parallel for multiple consoles and synchronize stuff. Otherwise we would have never played ED during the beyond update series, as the game was not "finished". We got updstes synchronously with PC. What's going on now, is that the pc crowd is fed with more and more content. And on none of the streamers rigs odyssey runs stuttering. Why? Shall we wait until the last messed up PC rig eats odyssey with ease? Remeber the consoles are only 6 fixed setups (base, pro of last gen and legacy mode of next gen of PS4 and Xbox). Should be far easier to adjust than fiddling with a trillion differentmpc variations and driver installations combined with 3rdparty software, that hooks into Elite.

All I ask for is giving us some new info! If FDev has no answers, it's the time to make up their minds and find those answers. Now.
Totally with you on that mate, just getting the feeling recently their even less receptive than normal (probably all this new content), as was mentioned earlier also do feel that a dedicated cm would help at least we would have a point of reference in saying that though they wouldn't have much to do as there is "nothing" lol

For what it's worth, I do agree that it seems like FDev is spending a lot of effort on some rather superfluous things. (Seriously, gaming seat force feedback? First I've heard of it). They need to focus on fixing the basic underlying problems with Odyssey as their priority and then once it's in a portable state, start the port to console. The extra goodies and niceties can come later.
Source: D2EAs last hello dave video. Somewhere along the words about the fleet carrier discounts due to the community goal.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom