*******Odyssey: Console Release ETA. *******

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Think that thirds probably starting to dwindle a bit now 😬
A bit? Can't say when my other ps4 buddys were in ED the last time. The third is going to starve, if it is nit fed with informations anytime soon. But then FDev should not complain, it' just cause and effect.

Effects of bad decisions and restistance against good advice. Putting the fingers in the ears and singing lalala will not lead to any financial success. We told them, the community starves... what do they do? "We have no info and no ETA of new info for you... but we feed the pc crowd..."

Last edited:
Does not look like an unplayable awful state.

EDO recommended Specs: i5-8600, GT 1060/3gb, 12 gb ram.

My gaming laptop specs: i7-9750, gtx1660ti/6gb, 16gb ram - way over the recommended specs - yet EDO content struggled to play on that config using 1080p - and by EDO content i mean concourse and settlements (generic) but with a special mention for ground combat CZ.

To get a decent gaming experience, i had to replace my 2y old gaming laptop with a new one with Ryzen 9 5900HX and RTX 3080/16g and 32 gb ram.

Now, you decide what state EDO was in if i need an rtx3080 (the desktop equivalent would be an rtx3070ti, but it will still kinda lack video memory) to properly enjoy it.

Didn't they say, the lower end pcs are gonna have a huge profit from the optimizations which will be done in console development? I think this was FDevs message in June (?!). So yeah, just start the development and back synchronize their optimization efforts to the pc reality in terms of the low setting profiles.

Also keep in mind, that a Laptop gtx ... is not anywhere comparable to Desktop gtx ... it can't. Just look at the big cooling devices in a desktop pc setup and the power consumption. Never seen a laptop that munches 600-ish watts like some old or new PC desktop/tower setups do. Just take a look at the power output of your powersupply of the laptop, compare to a real gaming pc and you have all the answers you need. Sorry to say so. A laptop rtx3080 is a rtx3070ti on desktop? Considering the physical size of a rtx 3070 card with cooling and power demands I strongly doubt that. Sorry, but you would notice if you placed a 3070ti on your thighs. Would get pretty toasty. It's just physics. There is a reason why desktop pc parts are so damn big, clunky and power hungry. There is no magic fairy dust in laptop manufacturing, that makes these physical limitations go away. Laptop gaming is always kinda not-comparable. There is always some nasty trick to it (e.g. throtteling down after few minutes etc.) to get good benchmarks and but no real gaming performance in the field unless it frys your hardware. So yeah. Had several "gaming laptops" all died by heat (regularly cleaned, placed on even surface and not on top of the lap... yadayada) and were underperforming in gaming compared to the delivered benchmarks. But this is heading off-topic now. Back to topic....

Anyway,.... I still wonder, whats wrong with EDO. Mass effect 4 andromeda looked even better on the ground in settlements and ran well even on my basic ps4 - and looked fantastic (and I am not an EA Fanboy... the game had other weaknesses). Where does EDO waste all the computing time? It can't be in greatest graphics, because it does not look extremly fantastic graphicswise from what I have seen on youtube (euphemism!). It looks graphicswise a bit like a game from 10 years ago.

Last edited:
This sounds like quite a lot of guessing, especially if the graphics api are different.

This sounds a bit like having your cake and eating it. Frontier can't work on the consoles at the moment becasuse it's all hands to the pump on the Windows edition, but luckily, there's so little difference, it's not really holding anything up anyway. Presumably we can look forward to an almost simutaneous release on the consoles once the Windows version is fixed :)
how can it be "fixed" if they keep adding to Oddesy?

If you steadily add new stuff you will never reach a state that is sufficient for porting it over to console. Remember the beyond series updates. If they waited until feature completion, we would have never gotten it.

If you steadily add new stuff you will never reach a state that is sufficient for porting it over to console.
If the problems that are preventing the port are not with the new stuff added, then why not?

But since you seem to know better than FDev, you should really apply for the Project manager position
Maybe we get the console port by December, who knows... And we can all go: Hallelujah brother, it's a miracle 🤷‍♂️

If the problems that are preventing the port are not with the new stuff added, then why not?

But since you seem to know better than FDev, you should really apply for the Project manager position
Maybe we get the console port by December, who knows... And we can all go: Hallelujah brother, it's a miracle 🤷‍♂️
So if the new stuff isn't adding more problems, what's the hold up ?

So if the new stuff isn't adding more problems, what's the hold up ?

The other stuff for which they have nothing to show off yet, like the performance running on minimum and recommended specs or the fact that the minimum specs are way over the capabilities of XB1/PS4 consoles.
I guess that's where the hold up is - somewhere down the rendering pipelines - and not in the "new stuff"

The other stuff for which they have nothing to show off yet, like the performance running on minimum and recommended specs or the fact that the minimum specs are way over the capabilities of XB1/PS4 consoles.
I guess that's where the hold up is - somewhere down the rendering pipelines - and not in the "new stuff"
Pity we'll never know don't think they're gonna tell us anytime soon. Unless we start masquerading as pc players 😉 With my admitted minimal knowledge would think it would be easier work with consoles as specs are consistent you'll know what they're capable off, think it's been said before but originally consoles we're gonna be a lot earlier as they were perceived as being a better "starting block" start with min specs work upwards rather than the other way round. As said though we'll never know unless someone from pc asks 😉

Mate he take a connection of the behavior before this messed up situation. Everyone in the community knows, when they adding new stuff then unfortunately it bring some serious issues into the game and this was before EDO ARRIVED the case and it still remain. Honestly, go back into the days before any kind of treatment was dropped, the highly recommender maintaine mode in which elite was for over 3 years. Minor bugfixes caused new one, which some huge problems. That is Simply the fear of any of us cmdrs, that it will be still the same and for the moment especially on console it’s feels so.

Deleted member 254248

D
The general fear amongst the console community is the thought that FDev is spending resources on making new content drops for Odyssey rather than making the core improvements that will make the game stable and playable on PC, which is the only way FDev will even consider a port to console. Some of us get that issues with rendering the new textures for surfaces introduced in Odyssey are not fixable by a modeller building walls for the interior of a megaship, or the graphic designer making the designs for the signs. A lot of the things being dropped have no skill or job overlap with the coders working in the engine, or the horrible navmesh, or the atrocious client side instancing controls.

That knowledge however is not comforting. The end perception will always be that FDev horribly messed up releasing Odyssey. No double A game design studio goes from an open Alpha to gold master release three weeks later. And now that the release has been botched, FDev is honestly working hard to make fixes, and realizing that a lot of the core underpinnings of the flight sim game have to be reworked to also support a FPS game. That is taking them a long time to rework, and during that time PC players are getting upset with the lack of progress. To appease them, they have no choice but to put out content drops to keep that player base interested, or else they’ll leave the game because of the horrible state it’s in now. If more of them leave, they no longer stay financially viable, and fixing Odyssey becomes a moot point. They’re simply hoping that Horizons console players stick around during all of this.

So for us console players, we have two choices here. We either keep playing Horizons while FDev continues to try and placate the Odyssey PC base to stay financially viable in hopes that by the first quarter 2023 we will see a console release of Odyssey, or we quit Horizons entirely. The choice, as always, is up to each individual, but there is no option where FDev will release a console port of Odyssey before first quarter 2023, unless they rush it out to try and hit Christmas 2022, no amount of hoping or complaining will change that.

Good luck in your choice, and happy flying.

The general fear amongst the console community is the thought that FDev is spending resources on making new content drops for Odyssey rather than making the core improvements that will make the game stable and playable on PC, which is the only way FDev will even consider a port to console. Some of us get that issues with rendering the new textures for surfaces introduced in Odyssey are not fixable by a modeller building walls for the interior of a megaship, or the graphic designer making the designs for the signs. A lot of the things being dropped have no skill or job overlap with the coders working in the engine, or the horrible navmesh, or the atrocious client side instancing controls.

That knowledge however is not comforting. The end perception will always be that FDev horribly messed up releasing Odyssey. No double A game design studio goes from an open Alpha to gold master release three weeks later. And now that the release has been botched, FDev is honestly working hard to make fixes, and realizing that a lot of the core underpinnings of the flight sim game have to be reworked to also support a FPS game. That is taking them a long time to rework, and during that time PC players are getting upset with the lack of progress. To appease them, they have no choice but to put out content drops to keep that player base interested, or else they’ll leave the game because of the horrible state it’s in now. If more of them leave, they no longer stay financially viable, and fixing Odyssey becomes a moot point. They’re simply hoping that Horizons console players stick around during all of this.

So for us console players, we have two choices here. We either keep playing Horizons while FDev continues to try and placate the Odyssey PC base to stay financially viable in hopes that by the first quarter 2023 we will see a console release of Odyssey, or we quit Horizons entirely. The choice, as always, is up to each individual, but there is no option where FDev will release a console port of Odyssey before first quarter 2023, unless they rush it out to try and hit Christmas 2022, no amount of hoping or complaining will change that.

Good luck in your choice, and happy flying.
I do see your point and I'm one of the ones that have pretty much stopped playing, that's not primarily because Odyssey its essentially because there is no communication coming consoles way nothing definitive barring the old chestnut of "there is nothing". It appears also while their desperately trying to appease Pc Cmdr's they are quite happy to focus 97.5% (Being generous there) of their community involvement at Pc Cmdr's and only throwing out a last minute panicked Xbox stream to placate "We better give them something". When I asked about future community involvement (Along with a few other cmdr's) with consoles got the answer presently there are plans being made but they can't tell us when or even hint at what they are because they are not able to enact them yet. As said that along with very limited communication about Odyssey is why I've pretty much stopped playing and tbh player number's dropping won't even be noticed until their focus shift's. which gives the impression (true or not) that their not really bothered what happens with console presently.

Deleted member 254248

D
It’s really more along the lines of they just don’t have anything more to offer up to us. As they’ve said multiple times, the only way to getting a console port is to first stabilize Odyssey, and they’re a long, long way from doing that as we can all see. They cant even have a set timeline for finishing Odyssey because of the magnitude of the underlying core engine issues they’re dealing with. They just don’t know, and after botching the Odyssey release so badly, the last thing they’re going to do is give us information, or an estimated date and then realize they can’t hit it.

Some of us remember the Cyberpunk 2077 release debacle. FDev is headed straight down that path with two important differences. One, CD Projekt Red released the console version and it was well nigh unplayable due to frame rate issues and bugs. FDev has learned how devastating that mistake is with the PC release of Odyssey and they won’t replicate it. Second, CD Projekt Red is just now getting around to try and release an optimized port for next gen consoles to try and get some console players back, and some of them will, but only because of the amazing rep that CD Projekt Red has built up amongst the player base from the Witcher series. Even with that, the growing worry that they won’t meet their roadmap they released for this year for the DLC and optimized release is threatening the game, and the studio. FDev isn’t going to release a console roadmap because they know if they miss it, they’re doomed. Frontier Development is no CD Projekt Red, unless you think they can fall back on Planet Coaster as a franchise bookend.

For better or worse, FDev is choosing the lesser of two evils, either stay silent about the future of consoles, or promise something and go bankrupt when they can’t meet it. The choice there is obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom