*******Odyssey: Console Release ETA. *******

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
7 months seems quite optimistic considering that Frontier aren't developing Odyssey on console at the moment or, as far as we know, in the near future.
They have investors to satisfy much like they did with the PC version, that can be the only conclusion as to why it was released in the state it was in. Can they really afford to drag it out?

Maybe lessons have been learnt...

To be honest I am still not convinced it won't be canned on console. Hopefully some tangible news at some point can convince us all this isn't the case.

Last edited:

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
In @boppa_ 's defence it did say it was the Colonia Bridge Community Goal and community news was mentioned at start. Not trying to be sarcastic or anything but how are we to know a stream is going to be only Odyssey focused if it's not mentioned on the schedule. As said no offence meant but the Odyssey banner is in the back ground and has been there for all streams excluding the unscheduled Xbox one's. Does that mean if we see that banner that we are to assume there is nothing console related so can tune out. Which in turn suggests that there's nothing livestream wise for consoles presently or in the near future bit harsh but if true I suppose it's better to know 😬

Just weighing in here - none of Tuesday's community content in the stream was particularly Odyssey focused. It included content and events that were applicable across both versions of the game. We've used the Odyssey banners since early in the year as part of an entire refresh, it doesn't mean there isn't any console news, our assets just reflect our latest release, which is common practice.

They have investors to satisfy much like they did with the PC version, that can be the only conclusion as to why it was released in the state it was in. Can they really afford to drag it out?

Maybe lessons have been learnt...

To be honest I am still not convinced it won't be canned on console.
Hopefully the lesson re shareholders/FTSE has been learned after the PC release, I can't see them wanting a second dodgy launch on their CV for the same game :-/ Maybe an Alpha/Beta in May 22 so that they can say it was "delivered" in FY but not change that to "released" until it actually is in that status?

Not really expecting an announcement for us until the end of Mar 22 at the earliest, give the Devs a quarter to fix any issues from 8, 9 and 10 as well as finish fleshing out the EDO missions so they cover both foot and ship...this is of course subject to change if they announce more new stuff for update 11 etc.

At this rate I should be able to afford a decent PC if they do announce that we're not getting it on console ;-)

Then we can start mithering about cross save :)

Deleted member 254248

D
There’s no way we’d see this before first quarter 2023, as I said, maybe it gets rushed to get it out before Christmas 2022. Once they port it, they instantly realize that it just can’t run on the current generation of consoles, just like Cyberpunk 2077, and then the real work starts. I know they’ve ported the current Odyssey build already and know this, but it’s pointless to do anything except base texture and controller input optimizations to it because when you keep making optimizations and content drops on the PC side, and that invariably affects other things you’ve already optimized on the port, so not much beyond basic exploratory work is being done on the console build. Just like everyone in the gaming industry, I’m sure they were all privately hoping that the console bottlenecks with getting next gen consoles would clear up by now so they wouldn’t have to try and make it backward compatible, but we all know that’s not going to happen. They got at least two quarters of intense work on that once it’s ported.

Once the PC side is done, and the port has happened, then they’ll do a full alpha, probably not a public alpha though, then two rounds of beta, just like the FC Update. Add another ten to twelve weeks for these to happen. For the middle next year to happen you’d have to assume they’re done with Odyssey PC after Update 8, and I think we can all agree they're not even close.

Hopefully the lesson re shareholders/FTSE has been learned after the PC release, I can't see them wanting a second dodgy launch on their CV for the same game :-/ Maybe an Alpha/Beta in May 22 so that they can say it was "delivered" in FY but not change that to "released" until it actually is in that status?

Not really expecting an announcement for us until the end of Mar 22 at the earliest, give the Devs a quarter to fix any issues from 8, 9 and 10 as well as finish fleshing out the EDO missions so they cover both foot and ship...this is of course subject to change if they announce more new stuff for update 11 etc.

At this rate I should be able to afford a decent PC if they do announce that we're not getting it on console ;-)

Then we can start mithering about cross save :)
Yeah, agree, but adding new stuff into EDO Before finishing the improvements of the issues are not the best way to choose, especially when some of the new stuff is only EDO content.

I doubt Frontier are trying to drag it out. What Frontier seems unable to appreciate (or can't really do anything about now) is that for console Odyssey they gave a date, then they gave a delayed date, then they gave a shrug.

From the customer's point of view, it looks like Frontier are ever less bothered by console Odyssey, a view that is reinforced by the Windows version of Odyssey not only being 'fixed', but expanded.

Oh, of course. Silly me.
Really helps with the motivation and productivity (as well as my sarcasm).

If you already knew it was focused on Odyssey why did you put yourself through that hardship and tune in if you already knew you'd end up here enticing people to make memes and keep the fire burning how you do?

It literally won't get you what you need personally any faster at all.

For your own comfort at this point, you could maybe find a way to rest up from this marathon that you're on in this thread, because it must be exhausting for you .
I'll keep on pushing to support and champion things within our remit for people who aren't going to drag us with daft pictures or stuff like that.
I for one am done with memes and won't use fowl language again. I am sincere in my apology for my past harassment towards fdev.

I'm losing the energy, I'm sorry. If we have any console related news on any streams, on the forum, on social we'll let you know in advance.

This is good enough. Tells me that console development may be underway without telling too much. Now that I can play ps4 on my tablet I look forward to playing Oddysey on it soon. 😉

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
I for one am done with memes and won't use fowl language again. I am sincere in my apology for my past harassment towards fdev.
It takes a lot of guts to say this kind of thing, all things considered with feelings and emotions and passions. You've got massive respect from me.
We're on your side in so very many ways, promise. Even if it doesn't feel it.

This is good enough. Tells me that console development may be underway without telling too much. Now that I can play ps4 on my tablet I look forward to playing Oddysey on it soon. 😉
o7

It takes a lot of guts to say this kind of thing, all things considered with feelings and emotions and passions. You've got massive respect from me.
We're on your side in so very many ways, promise. Even if it doesn't feel it.

o7
It's probably fortunate I don't know how to use meme's lol but thanks anyway for being sincere I know I can be a preverbial pain in the......well I think you know the rest 😉

Oh, of course. Silly me.

If you already knew it was focused on Odyssey why did you put yourself through that hardship and tune in if you already knew you'd end up here enticing people to make memes and keep the fire burning how you do?

It literally won't get you what you need personally any faster at all.

For your own comfort at this point, you could maybe find a way to rest up from this marathon that you're on in this thread, because it must be exhausting for you .
I'll keep on pushing to support and champion things within our remit for people who aren't going to drag us with daft pictures or stuff like that.

Why did I tune in? It was a "Community Stream" , presumably inclusive of the entire community not just those of us who've been granted the ability to purchase and play Odyssey.

I didn't @ or ping you btw - I already know and have acknowledged that you're in an impossible position, when it comes to what's happening with Odyssey on console. (nothing)

Oh, of course. Silly me.

Just for the record, I was being sarcastic, not being serious... in fact I was referencing this tweet you'd put out around the same time -https://twitter.com/smorganmoore/status/1447971860436639755 - I perhaps wrongly assumed you'd get the reference. Things don't always turn out very well in text format I guess.

The intention of posting a screenshot was to highlight the background of the "Community Highlights" Stream being Odyssey - something we're excluded from. If you have taken offence I shall go back and remove it if I'm able.

The fact that we're bothering to post on here, watching the streams, etc. rather than just switching off our consoles and forgetting about Elite altogether, I think is a positive sign.

Edit: I've altered the screenshot.

Last edited:
Just weighing in here - none of Tuesday's community content in the stream was particularly Odyssey focused. It included content and events that were applicable across both versions of the game. We've used the Odyssey banners since early in the year as part of an entire refresh, it doesn't mean there isn't any console news, our assets just reflect our latest release, which is common practice.

I suppose it's all about perspective

You: Look at Odyssey!
Us: When can we play Odyssey?

Ok, I can understand when cm‘s getting silly, but is it the right way ? I mean it’s enough when we have carebears who fight for the glory of Fdev or some ,, I am over all, and your opinion are all false,, peoples, who was the same crybaby’s at some time. The forum is at the moment nuclear explosive, a state which I only known from Casual games.

honest opinion, pc sided at the moment by far. Some of console cmdrs are silly and hard including myself but I think all of our beloved community would be, when there is nothing gonna happened. The only way is, to stop this mess of discussion and make jokes of other, should be honestly, a clear statement.

i mean, the mods and other, did you take notice that some over the top guys make jokes about the complete console community? And we should be calm ? Cmon 😒

I am sympathetic that Console players are currently not able to participate in the beta test...

But this horse has been beaten dead

OTOH - reading harangues from a player who has access to a PC account is a bit much

Once the PC side has done enough beta testing to enable console players to participate, we will all benefit. I sincerely doubt that FD is actively trying to prolong the process and will do everything it can to implement EDO on consoles . Constantly poking CM's who have really upped FD's communications recently serves no useful purpose.

YMMV

I am sympathetic that Console players are currently not able to participate in the beta test...

OTOH - reading harangues from a player who has access to a PC account is a bit much

Once the PC side has done enough beta testing to enable console players to participate, we will all benefit. I sincerely doubt that FD is actively trying to prolong the process and will do everything it can to implement EDO on consoles . Constantly poking CM's who have really upped FD's communications recently serves no useful purpose.

YMMV
Yes totally agreed, but the discussion is for the moment community sided, a lot have stop to ping them, perhaps it would help to read the steam opinion, then they would check, that there are more request of stabilizing the performance. Adding new stuff will naturally put the Progress, one step back.

simply and clear, first fix the game, this was the statement.

YMMV

I didn't ping or @ anyone CM or otherwise. I'm free to post my opinion on a game discussion forum in order to promote discussion on a subject others have an interest in, if it relates to the game, just as you or anyone else is. I don't control who chooses to engage in the discussion either, nor would I want to.

So really don't care when XBSX gets Odyssey just want to be able to play on it now. Today's gaming is worst I've seen in 4 years of gaming. Rubber banding in CZ Med, cannot jump to SC without hanging up and having to reboot entire XB - twice now. Really, what is going on with servers? I also play PC EDO and that version took a serious hit with 7.1 update. XBSX now has better graphics, so really do not want a premature rollout of EDO for Consoles.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom