Odyssey delay - how will you bridge the gap?

• Thread starter Deleted member 182079
  • Start date
I've thought about this a lot, and just as Bazmeson did, i have consulted with a friend where we have finally found a conclusion to the question 'how will we bridge the gap'

the answer is a great big bridge, for the gap is monstromonous , and the gap is even further for ship interiors and C1 hardpoints of a seismic flavour, especially if you're on console

china_bridge_wide-3d8613a87252c2e1bd468c217ab9319ab4a85c38-s800-c85.jpg

Deleted member 182079

D
For me not much will change. I wasn't planning to get ED:O in the first place so no difference if it is delayed or not. To be very honest the more I see/read about ED:O the less I want it... I will probably get it at some point but will all that fluff around combat, nah, not my type of the game...
I am looking forward to Odyssey mainly because of the opening up of further planets to be able to land on (even if they end up as rocky worlds with blue skies, and improved shaders for icy bodies), plus the ability to walk around my ship(s) will help conveying the sense of scale a bit better. Plus, being able to walk about and see NPCs at stations will make the galaxy feel less empty and sterile (to what extent we'll have to see - if it's all cookie cutter stuff in the end possibly only a little but I take it still).

I'm not too fussed at all about on-foot missions and shooty stuff as that looks pretty much by-the-numbers, but I'll take any new gameplay for my favourite game.

Deleted member 182079

D
@ObiW

Lots of good suggestions already so something that hasn't been mentioned.

There's a Buckyball running now, if a random in-game challenge tickles an interest. I'll be putting an entry in at some point, to have some fun, see if I can avoid being interdicted and fly a sidewinder for the first time in ages. See here:

Or pick one of the standing time trials, doesn't have to be for time, just for doing something different and seeing new places:

Do you like the srv?
If so taking part in these is a hoot regardless of skill level:

or come join me for a bit on Pomeche, I'll be there for a while and I can promise 'interesting' terrain

Hope you find what you're looking for
o7

Edit: lastly, as an introvert who can be a bit anti-social I've been really enjoying the community around the Buckyballers and Elite Racers. Any in game interests that have a group associated? Even if it's just joining the Buur Pit or similar
Thanks for the suggestions - I'm aware of those events, and they do sound like fun, my problem with community driven stuff is to align with other players (time of day, when I'm able to log on, where I'm at in the galaxy at the time, and if I'm in the mood to play with others in the first place). I've been part of a squadron for a while when they got introduced, but I realised after a while that I prefer to do my own thing - too many times I had to say "sorry maybe another time" when squad members contacted me, and in fairness they were a relaxed bunch, but I just prefer the lone wolf approach to gaming - not to say that I won't engage with other players when I run into them but I'm quite selfish when I log on. Still, those are good suggestions in general.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm aware of those events, and they do sound like fun, my problem with community driven stuff is to align with other players (time of day, when I'm able to log on, where I'm at in the galaxy at the time, and if I'm in the mood to play with others in the first place). I've been part of a squadron for a while when they got introduced, but I realised after a while that I prefer to do my own thing - too many times I had to say "sorry maybe another time" when squad members contacted me, and in fairness they were a relaxed bunch, but I just prefer the lone wolf approach to gaming - not to say that I won't engage with other players when I run into them but I'm quite selfish when I log on. Still, those are good suggestions in general.
Hmm, interesting. I've left my squadron few days ago for exactly same reasons. I rather be on my own, doing things my way. You know SOLO, spending countless hours in the SRV...

Deleted member 182079

D
Hmm, interesting. I've left my squadron few days ago for exactly same reasons. I rather be on my own, doing things my way. You know SOLO, spending countless hours in the SRV...
It just feels like social pressure to me, which is the last thing I want when playing a game for fun. I suppose it has to do with me being quite a reliable person IRL and if I agree to do something, I will want to make sure I stick to my word, even if I don't feel like doing it, in order to not let others down. There are a lot of things in the game that require a fair bit of effort and become grindy quickly especially if it's BGS related (like those massacre missions with 60+ targets - not my cup of tea unless I'm in the mood for working CZ's for a couple of hours, so hardly ever) so this can turn into a chore quickly. Or if someone who is 500ly away from my location asks to wing up to do XYZ, even though that's quite a bit easier now with FCs.

I rather do what I want to do in that particular moment, if interests align then perfect, but most of the time they don't really, as my playstyle is quite nomadic really and I'm not settled anywhere for too long.

It just feels like social pressure to me, which is the last thing I want when playing a game for fun. I suppose it has to do with me being quite a reliable person IRL and if I agree to do something, I will want to make sure I stick to my word, even if I don't feel like doing it, in order to not let others down.
I totally get that, most of my Elite time is still spent on my tod.

A big part of the community side for me isn't directly playing with folk, but chats in discord or seeing what others are doing, whether that's a watching a Buckyball race/circumnavigation run and occasionally sharing my own stuff.
(My Pomeche thread feels like a big step out my comfort zone for me, I don't normally do stuff like that at all but I'm actually enjoying it)

I hope you find the right path for you, whether that's a break or different stuff in game.
o7

Deleted member 182079

D
I totally get that, most of my Elite time is still spent on my tod.

A big part of the community side for me isn't directly playing with folk, but chats in discord or seeing what others are doing, whether that's a watching a Buckyball race/circumnavigation run and occasionally sharing my own stuff.
(My Pomeche thread feels like a big step out my comfort zone for me, I don't normally do stuff like that at all but I'm actually enjoying it)

I hope you find the right path for you, whether that's a break or different stuff in game.
o7
Ah I'm sure I'll be alright ;) it was more a musing and I was equally interested in how others who are at the 'end game' stage are handling the delay, which for us PC players is only a couple more months I suppose.

I don't think I will give the game a break entirely, because after a couple of days it calls me back... and eventually I'll find something else to do, even if it's 're-heating' past activities in some shape or form;

Last night for example I spent an hour trying to pirate an NPC using the wake scanner and following them - it was initially frustrating because the NPC didn't seem to suffer any FSD cooldown (but then I realised maybe they have an engineered drive), took me 6-7 interdictions and eventually got them, and their entire cargo (some rare goods too). Was fun after all, and that's what matters.

It just feels like social pressure to me, which is the last thing I want when playing a game for fun. I suppose it has to do with me being quite a reliable person IRL and if I agree to do something, I will want to make sure I stick to my word, even if I don't feel like doing it, in order to not let others down. There are a lot of things in the game that require a fair bit of effort and become grindy quickly especially if it's BGS related (like those massacre missions with 60+ targets - not my cup of tea unless I'm in the mood for working CZ's for a couple of hours, so hardly ever) so this can turn into a chore quickly. Or if someone who is 500ly away from my location asks to wing up to do XYZ, even though that's quite a bit easier now with FCs.

I rather do what I want to do in that particular moment, if interests align then perfect, but most of the time they don't really, as my playstyle is quite nomadic really and I'm not settled anywhere for too long.
Good to hear my own revelations echoed so precisely. I discovered this in WoW and cemented the conclusion while gaming with family just these last few years. Obligation just tends to drain quite a bit of the fun away. Like a tornado, born to die alone ;)

I took out one of my FDL's into a Haz Res (in VR) last night for a while and had a little fun, but realised that I'd spent so much time flying the 'Big 3' recently (T-10, Corvette & Cutter) that my handling of this amazing medium was, shall we say, less than optimal.

So, from now until the Odyssey alpha I think I'll spend a lot more hours poodling around in agile medium / small ships as that skill really, really, needs more than just a little polish :eek:

I'm just bopping bugs - was thinking of heading back out to The Hawking's Gap for an explore in my DBX, but I don't wanna be caught 20kly away when EDO drops

<inhales>
enjoy my RC scale truck while there's some snow, finish building my other RC scale truck, paint one small Warmachine army, DIY wet palette, assemble 5 Gunpla kits, 3D print RC truck body, paint second small Warmachine army, DIY hot wire cutter, finish internal water cooling system for my RC fishing cutter, paint remainig two small Warmachine armies, disassemble 5 Gunpla kits and repaint them semi profesionally, restore old lamp made from an artillery shell...
<exhales>

I'm afraid that expansion will premiere way too soon :LOL:

Don't play every day, instead wait until you've come up with something outside the game first.
Just fly around collecting mats with no expectations of anything more in your play session.

In contrast, just for me, any permutation of resetting your account didnt work. Unless you're planning on moving to the new account somewhat permanently (moving to colonia, oob etc) i always found the new or reset accounts fizzle. The credit progression kills it pretty much, and engineering because you know about just becomes a grind.

See all the things you havent yet? I still have so much to do. Maybe get cracking on the list? Though this has fizzled for me as well. For me i can't get over the guardian lore not appearing in the codex archive. Really.. you can just read the cannon website as a passive aggressive protest to why they didn't add something so important to the feature.

Find a friend to play with? Though maybe not, is rubber banding npcs really normal?? How does multiplayer even happen?

Play elder scrolls online, horizon zero dawn, red dead redemption 2, get into a fighting game.

Best of all, with the ps5 there should be a good generational gap coming in the next 2 years.. all the ps3 era titles in your backlog really should be done sooner than later.

Top Bottom