Odyssey Going Forwards

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
With those things in mind, we have spent a lot of time discussing and re-evaluating our previous plans and we have made the decision to prioritise the core PC experience for Elite Dangerous.
1496437837-topgun.gif

It's coming home!

Greetings Commanders.

With the release of Update 5 on 1st July plus a few smaller server updates since, and Update 6 currently in development, I wanted to take a moment of your time to talk about the next steps for Elite Dangerous.

We are aware and fully accept the frustration that many of our players have had with their experience of Elite Dangerous Odyssey. The community have spoken, we have heard the feedback clearly and we will act on that feedback.

As you may remember in our recent development article, the significant amount of updates and development effort that has been done to fix and improve issues since the launch of Odyssey has meant work on our console release has not progressed as quickly as we had hoped. What’s more, we can see that the strides we have made through the last five major updates are positive, but we must continue on with this progress to give the experience that you and we expect on PC.

With those things in mind, we have spent a lot of time discussing and re-evaluating our previous plans and we have made the decision to prioritise the core PC experience for Elite Dangerous. Ultimately, we believe it is right to focus our efforts on the core Elite Dangerous Odyssey experience for the platforms that we have released on, before opening up to more. We know that the work that we do to improve players’ experiences of Elite Dangerous Odyssey on PC will benefit other platforms in the future, but the dates and details of the console platforms are going to change. We do not want to rush into confirming any dates or changes this has on our console release, as we must remain fully focused on the core Elite experience. Only when we feel that the foundation of the PC release is solid, will we be able to re-lay our console roadmap on top.

Elite Dangerous Odyssey is an important step on a complicated journey, and we must get this right, before we can consider moving on to these new platforms.

So what does this actually mean for Elite Dangerous and Elite Dangerous Odyssey?

It means that we will see more game updates over the coming months. We will continue to work through Issue Tracker, fix bugs and improve performance, but we will also be able to explore and add additional features, content and improvements into the game.

We will continue to give open monthly development updates where we discuss WIP content, challenges, the issue tracker and more. We know that the previous levels of detail for the roadmap and developer update have not met expectations, but we are grateful for your patience while we shift and adjust plans, in the face of such clear feedback.

Please remember that our team here at Frontier are working hard to support the game and our community. Behind every bug fix, design decision and community post is a person who cares a lot about giving our players best possible experience. I would ask that everyone remains calm and respectful when sharing their thoughts and feedback.

We all have the same goal and we will get there, together. Please bear with us.

o7 Commanders.
Very well said. It's great to hear you taking charge of this and responding. Thanks for doing this.

Thank you for the update - and my commiserations to our Console brethren for the delay.

Hopefully this change in approach going into the future will benefit us all, but knowing what it feels like to read bad news (it was VR, for me) you have my sympathies 👍

Can’t wait to see what our Odyssey journey brings in the future!

Edit: Is this a return of the Peek Of The Week? (though not weekly? 😁)
…updates where we discuss WIP content…

Last edited:
Thanks David, a great decision.

I am really enjoying Elite Dangerous Odyssey and appreciate all the hard work the developers are putting into my favourite game - Elite. I look forward to the improvements that will be coming in the future whilst continuing to enjoy playing Odyssey. o7

Well said David.

I am glad to see the company taking the current feedback seriously and adjusting the plans for the development of the game accordingly.

Personally I have been enjoying the new content that Odyssey has brought to the game and look forward to how it will be improved upon with future updates.

What’s more, we can see that the strides we have made through the last five major updates are positive, but we must continue on with this progress to give the experience that you and we expect on PC.

As much as I am still disappointed with the state of Odyssey at release - I think this is the right decision and am looking forward to what you'll do to rescue Elite over the coming months. (y)

o7!

Thanks for the communication, David, and it makes sense to prioritise PC performance and stability prior to porting to consoles. And I agree in thinking this is the correct decision moving forward (Odyssey is blatantly Early Access and had it been labelled so much of the negativity wouldn't have occurred imo).

Can you give any details as to routes that are being taken for this, performance-wise? For example, is DirectX 12 (and/or Vulkan) for Elite on PC (and therefore consoles) being considered?

So that Frontier as a company isn't stretched too thin, are plans for any future unannounced game projects been shelved for now to ensure Elite Dangerous Odyssey, Jurassic World Evolution 2, F1, and Age Of Sigmar, all receive the developer resources they need - Elite Dangerous especially, seeing as it's the only Game-As-A-Service live MMO that you run? The leak a couple of years ago mentioned that ideas for a number of unannounced projects were being bandied around, for example Planet Coaster 2.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom