Odyssey Going Forwards

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I wonder how much we owe the good parts of Elite to Ian Bell. His homepage is full of historical info on Elite, he seems to be the one who cares.
If you read his site you would have found 2 references to what he did on the original Elite over 30 years ago.
Ian has nothing to do with the current version, but is part of the legacy from the original game circa 1984.
Based on his comments on his website, he doesn't care at all about Elite sequels and hasn't wanted to be involved in any way since the early 1990s.
Per Ian Bell's site:

Elite Programing
Ian BellDavid Braben
Sun & planet plottingShip plotting
3D movement, ship rotationsTrading screens
Stars/Dust Particles,ExplosionsEquip ship screen
Hyperspace effect, Weapon EffectsNavigational charts
Solar system maintainanceGalaxy generation
"Goat Soup" string"Furry Felines" string
Scanner codingScanner concept
Graphics primitivesSound effects
Enemy tactics, Docking, MissilesDial bars
Secret Missions,Trumbles
Elite Ship Design
Ian BellDavid Braben
Adder, Anaconda, Asp, Boa, Boulder,Cobra I,
Cougar,Fer-de-Lance,Gecko, Krait, Moray,
Orbit shuttle, Tharglet, Transporter,
Worm,Dodecahedral Station
Asteroid, Cobra III, Constrictor, Mamba,
Missile,Python, Sidewinder, Thargoid,
Viper,Coriolis Station

I have not played Elite dangerous since my carrier completed its engineering run - departure was same day as carrier movement unlocks, went to Colonia, spent a day in Sagittarius A* and returned to our home system in the bubble all in 8 days.

I've wanted to pick up ED, but I keep hearing that bad stuff is breaking the updates.

We are on update FIVE of EDO? and this was a "finished" product?

The majority of the community wanted legs... I am sure they did not want this [fill in the blank] fueled dumpster fire with legs.

Why are the console players barred from grabbing their pitchforks too? why not alienate your ENTIRE playerbase?

The importance the "space legs" party put on getting out of your chair meant that had one chance to make Elite Dangerous not just bring back players, but increase sales as word got around. Because of this... and I will be polite here, lackluster release, EVEN IF the next paid DLC IS GREAT, people will be skeptical.

As for the next paid DLC being GREAT, well, that's a whole other kettle of fish, isn't it?

Eh...stay calm during this paid beta phase. Got it.

No reasonable CMDR seriously doubts the potential of Odyssey or the capabilities of some of your dev team. However, Frontier's consistently shaky history with Elite and the lack of development in most areas of the game over the years paint a questionable portrait of its future--particularly in light of poor decisions, blatant lies, and misleading hyperbole from your company's "leadership." (That includes you, Braben.) No more smoke and mirrors. Transparency is key to regaining the trust and attention of a large portion of your (now mostly absent) community.

Greetings Commanders.

With the release of Update 5 on 1st July plus a few smaller server updates since, and Update 6 currently in development, I wanted to take a moment of your time to talk about the next steps for Elite Dangerous.

We are aware and fully accept the frustration that many of our players have had with their experience of Elite Dangerous Odyssey. The community have spoken, we have heard the feedback clearly and we will act on that feedback.

As you may remember in our recent development article, the significant amount of updates and development effort that has been done to fix and improve issues since the launch of Odyssey has meant work on our console release has not progressed as quickly as we had hoped. What’s more, we can see that the strides we have made through the last five major updates are positive, but we must continue on with this progress to give the experience that you and we expect on PC.

With those things in mind, we have spent a lot of time discussing and re-evaluating our previous plans and we have made the decision to prioritise the core PC experience for Elite Dangerous. Ultimately, we believe it is right to focus our efforts on the core Elite Dangerous Odyssey experience for the platforms that we have released on, before opening up to more. We know that the work that we do to improve players’ experiences of Elite Dangerous Odyssey on PC will benefit other platforms in the future, but the dates and details of the console platforms are going to change. We do not want to rush into confirming any dates or changes this has on our console release, as we must remain fully focused on the core Elite experience. Only when we feel that the foundation of the PC release is solid, will we be able to re-lay our console roadmap on top.

Elite Dangerous Odyssey is an important step on a complicated journey, and we must get this right, before we can consider moving on to these new platforms.

So what does this actually mean for Elite Dangerous and Elite Dangerous Odyssey?

It means that we will see more game updates over the coming months. We will continue to work through Issue Tracker, fix bugs and improve performance, but we will also be able to explore and add additional features, content and improvements into the game.

We will continue to give open monthly development updates where we discuss WIP content, challenges, the issue tracker and more. We know that the previous levels of detail for the roadmap and developer update have not met expectations, but we are grateful for your patience while we shift and adjust plans, in the face of such clear feedback.

Please remember that our team here at Frontier are working hard to support the game and our community. Behind every bug fix, design decision and community post is a person who cares a lot about giving our players best possible experience. I would ask that everyone remains calm and respectful when sharing their thoughts and feedback.

We all have the same goal and we will get there, together. Please bear with us.

o7 Commanders.
You guys released a paid beta and want us to wait.. honestly you messed up .. this should have been the 1st step after your failed "alpha"

At this point I just keep checking to see how you guys will earn back the communities trust because you just straight up killed it and another note you guys should look at other teams for inspiration

1626875831777.png

2. you vision is muddy.. fans have no clue what you guys are doing or what you want to do
3. Now it seems like you are starting to listen and when everyone was saying this alpha is not ready all we kept hearing is " Oh we have another branch that is waaayyy better" a clear lie
4. Outside of testing and streams I don't think you folks play your own game... keep adding the same grindy not fun at all systems into the game and expect the majority of us to flock back

1626876311919.png

in the future I hope you all focus on the last 4 points if this game is to have a future.. oh and mr. braben don't forget your roots and your promises from kick starter those still playing are waiting don't let anymore down.

I think the developers should get back to what was said in the original DDF. The thing that makes me want to play is what you will find in ED and there is nothing to find. Why cant the devs look into developing things to find.

You guys released a paid beta and want us to wait.. honestly you messed up .. this should have been the 1st step after your failed "alpha"

At this point I just keep checking to see how you guys will earn back the communities trust because you just straight up killed it and another note you guys should look at other teams for inspiration
I don't personally think they broke any trust, they've done their best through actions to fix mistakes. Odysseys launch sure was rough, but right now its in a state that I would expect the launch state to be. Instead of throwing sticks and stones at them, it's better to help them, help you so to speak.
FFXIV is a pretty good example to use in some ways like you did, but even there you have some outliers like me. I used to love the game, but for me they did the opposite of all that. Being there from the start, I felt like they steered into a completely wrong direction for the game, patch after patch, expansion after expansion they strayed further from what I wanted. Can't blame them, but eventually it just became a game that wasn't for me anymore and I jumped ship. Same with R6:siege, I can't say it ever became a bad game, it just became a game that wasn't aimed for me and my friends anymore despite us being there since the very beginning. You can NEVER please everyone.

As for grind, I think that's an integral part of any game. Without it, you'll soon have nothing to aim for, but the mistake that people usually do is that they hyperfocus on goals which are far away and just try to sprint there instead of keeping in mind the whole "it's about the journey, not the destination" thing. Things you grind towards, should be just something that you keep in the back of your mind as slowly progress towards it while doing all kinds of other activities, but that's just my take on it and I'm sure people have compelling reasons for why they do that.
Going back to FFXIV as an example, I knew many people who would rush through the story, skip everything just to get to the endgame raid/trials, they did those in a few weeks and then went all "aw man there's nothing to do!".

With general opinions on something, it's good to keep in mind that the loud minority tends to paint a very skewed picture of how something is perceived. The quiet majority is just that, quiet and generally just enjoying themselves without any need to be brawling on forums and such.
The devs surely have to pick their words carefully too as it seems that people are very intent on interpreting everything in an odd way and turning it against them at every turn. It's like trying to appease angry family members as a nurse, you have a very limited amount of potential dialogue and you gotta work with what you can, should you open your mouth too much, you either get fired or in legal trouble. Things which are not in your control get pinned on you, any mistakes get branded on you etc.
I wish people would be more supportive in general, forgive lil blunders and so on. Can you see yourself doing a good job while a client is looking down on you and throwing stones at you every turn? I understand the general frustrations, they are there with a good reason no doubt, but the way people go about voicing these frustrations is a bit ehhh.

I don't personally think they broke any trust, they've done their best through actions to fix mistakes. Odysseys launch sure was rough, but right now its in a state that I would expect the launch state to be. Instead of throwing sticks and stones at them, it's better to help them, help you so to speak.
FFXIV is a pretty good example to use in some ways like you did, but even there you have some outliers like me. I used to love the game, but for me they did the opposite of all that. Being there from the start, I felt like they steered into a completely wrong direction for the game, patch after patch, expansion after expansion they strayed further from what I wanted. Can't blame them, but eventually it just became a game that wasn't for me anymore and I jumped ship. Same with R6:siege, I can't say it ever became a bad game, it just became a game that wasn't aimed for me and my friends anymore despite us being there since the very beginning. You can NEVER please everyone.

As for grind, I think that's an integral part of any game. Without it, you'll soon have nothing to aim for, but the mistake that people usually do is that they hyperfocus on goals which are far away and just try to sprint there instead of keeping in mind the whole "it's about the journey, not the destination" thing. Things you grind towards, should be just something that you keep in the back of your mind as slowly progress towards it while doing all kinds of other activities, but that's just my take on it and I'm sure people have compelling reasons for why they do that.
Going back to FFXIV as an example, I knew many people who would rush through the story, skip everything just to get to the endgame raid/trials, they did those in a few weeks and then went all "aw man there's nothing to do!".

With general opinions on something, it's good to keep in mind that the loud minority tends to paint a very skewed picture of how something is perceived. The quiet majority is just that, quiet and generally just enjoying themselves without any need to be brawling on forums and such.
The devs surely have to pick their words carefully too as it seems that people are very intent on interpreting everything in an odd way and turning it against them at every turn. It's like trying to appease angry family members as a nurse, you have a very limited amount of potential dialogue and you gotta work with what you can, should you open your mouth too much, you either get fired or in legal trouble. Things which are not in your control get pinned on you, any mistakes get branded on you etc.
I wish people would be more supportive in general, forgive lil blunders and so on. Can you see yourself doing a good job while a client is looking down on you and throwing stones at you every turn? I understand the general frustrations, they are there with a good reason no doubt, but the way people go about voicing these frustrations is a bit ehhh.
Honestly, I'm avoiding all the hate and negativity, I've been playing Elite since the good old days back on the Sinclair !! and I will stick with it , yes it was a rough launch as you said but I've tried other games and still noting touches the depth it delivers ....

Promising comms and regular posts regarding new content and fixes inc the elusive optimisation were all after, seems to chime well with fdev. One might say they bring it upon themselves being secretive and so on which l get. But your right (above post) defo we all need to take a step back. Always helps.
I for one have no issues wotsoever and I'm in VR. I'm not happy about it all but it works looks good and gameplay albeit grind festigulated, is what it is.
I'm taking my time on foot...none of this 18 hour complete all foot engineering and cos no content.
Contents what you make it..
Quite how they expect devs to create a constant stream just to placate their needs is beyond me.
Whilst I'm at it can we have a grappling hook!
And a bridge on my carrier! Not anyone else's just mine plox

I don't personally think they broke any trust, they've done their best through actions to fix mistakes. Odysseys launch sure was rough, but right now its in a state that I would expect the launch state to be.
They lied to us saying we were buying a complete, finished DLC then sold us a stable alpha. Trust broken! Also, update 5 was when I finally gave up playing. For me it's actually in a worse state than at release.
As for grind, I think that's an integral part of any game. Without it, you'll soon have nothing to aim for
You see, I play the game to fly spaceships, explore a little, fight a little and be a space trucker. I don't expect to grind for night vision in a spacesuit when it's free in the ship and SRV. Same with gun scopes - and I've never been able to join in the Thargoid game loop 'cause I just stopped at the Guardian grind.
I wish people would be more supportive in general, forgive lil blunders and so on.
I'll forgive lil blunders like invisible rocks and bad on foot VR, but they trashed performance, broke the lighting and added 20 plant models to keep explorers happy. They spent all the support I had to give them.

added 20 plant models to keep explorers happy

There are 41 subspecies of Bacteria alone in the region I'm in.

Mean to say, doesn't it sell 'explorers' a bit short to think all they're interested in is the 3D model when planet chemistry, atmosphere, geography and temperature are all having a bearing on what sort of pre Cambrian and Silurian type groups you find? Bacteria looks like a puddle - in terms of the 'model' - at first glance but I'm finding them the most interesting of the lot at the minute.

(Plus is it fair to describe FPS missions as boring when ppl are relogging to the same base again and again. OF COURSE THAT'S BORING. Not playing the game though is it.)

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm avoiding all the hate and negativity, I've been playing Elite since the good old days back on the Sinclair !! and I will stick with it , yes it was a rough launch as you said but I've tried other games and still noting touches the depth it delivers ....
as someone who indeed Loves the game (amiga was my computer of choice back in the ancient days), trust has been broken time and again, some of us paidextra to Alpha test EDO as it seemed like something well worth doing, Initial bugs and graphics aside, people had lots of strong opinions on what was broken and what was good, also what could have added value if tweaked or modified. We were openly lied to about the release model of the game. what you are experiencing now is worse than the Alpha in lots of ways, including sky and terrain tech

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom