Odyssey Going Forwards

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
People were claiming ED will die since day 1 and yet here we are 6 years later.

Also, the grind in Elite is almost entirely optional. That's a fact. The quality immersive gameplay is there, but unfortunately the majority of the game guides from most of the "famous streamers" only tell people to grind (Robigo, Jameson Cobra, Dav's Hope etc.), so they think all there is in Elite is grind, because they don't know any better.
Well you and FDev can bury your head in the sand all you like.

But there are new kids on the block now with Star Citizen and No Man's Sky. They weren't knocking on Frontiers door 6 years ago. And it's that sort of over confidence and, (I hate to say it), but edging on arrogance, that led to Odyssey being released in the state it was that led to this debacle.

And just to be clear, I'm not trying to rub salt in the wounds and I don't want the game I love and the community around it to die. I'm proper rooting for them. This whole thing makes me sad in a big way. But sometimes you've just got to say what you think is right and hope someone will sit up and come to their senses.

Last edited:
Giggle all you want, he's right:
NMS has a renaissance since its early blunders, and is slowly but surely still improving upon itself.
The big-name Streamers that once shown off Elite: Dangerous are moving onto Star Citizen, and showing it off. Free Marketing for that game.

FDev shot themselves in the food, and rather than try and bandage it as best they can, it seems they'd rather rub dirt into the wound.

For a forum moderator, you're not good at this interaction thing, are you?

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Eh, what exactly does that mean?

I take it you are mocking me. Is that correct?
No, I'm not.

But NMS is nowhere near a direct competitor to Elite. It's great for exploration of unrealistic and completely static, but fantastic and colourful worlds, where you can ride butterfly-dinosaur-cockroaches and sand-worms from Dune. And it's THE definition of mandatory grind, which you've complained about in Elite. Luckily there are mods to combat that, but not everyone will have the skills or the time required to mod their game.

It is a completely different game to Elite and offers completely different experience.

Star Citizen, while being currently the closest thing to being a direct competitor, is still in Alpha after 10 years of development and it's much more bugged and prone to crashes than Elite ever was. Additionally, while it does offer some nice and immersive gameplay, it does not offer the 1:1 scale and it currently only has 1 system (yes, I know there is plenty to do, but it gets old pretty quickly IMO). Also, there are wipes and there is no in-game lore for it. It is not a "game" at this stage.

I realise that people migrate to other games, but this is normal. In the same way people migrate to Elite from other games. It works both ways.

And lastly, I don't know why people are of the "you can only play one game" mindset. I have a feeling you are trying to say that once people try NMS or SC they will never ever come back to Elite. I think this is completely wrong. People will play the game they feel like playing. I most often play Elite, but I often play SC and NMS too. It's not a matter of "either or" at all, never was and never will be.

This whole "Elite will die because there are other games" is what makes me laugh so hard.

Also, the grind in Elite is almost entirely optional. That's a fact. The quality immersive gameplay is there, but unfortunately the majority of the game guides from most of the "famous streamers" only tell people to grind (Robigo, Jameson Cobra, Dav's Hope etc.), so they think all there is in Elite is grind, because they don't know any better.
This is exactly the crux... I've never had to "grind" in Elite, because I was never in a hurry to just upgrade everything to 5 in the shortest timeframe. I put in a bit of 'work' in the early days to get upgraded ship, and then gathered mats, wakes etc. as I went along, a bit at a time whilst doing other stuff. By the time I got round to engineering, I had most of what I needed. Then opening up the Guardian stuff was a fun adventure in itself, not really too grindy... I think the grind, grind, grind mentality is just a function of wanting to "win" the game as quickly as possible, where the real beauty of Elite in comparison to other games is that there is no "win", it's just a gentle, open ended amble through the galaxy. And as a result, whereas a fast paced FPS might give you 40 hours of fun gameplay to complete, Elite can give you thousands of hours of relaxed galaxy exploring, pirating, bounty hunting, mining, trading, etc., etc., etc. And if there's an element you don't like, you just don't have to do it, everything is optional... simples!

I think the grind, grind, grind mentality is just a function of wanting to "win" the game as quickly as possible,
But is a reality for those who choose to play in a specific niche in the game (PvP & AX activities come to mind immediately) because their choice doesn't allow otherwise.

Otherwise I agree entirely with the sentiment of no need to grind. (although would not complain in the least if engineering materials for both EDH & EDO made acquisition much more relaxed)

Deleted member 110222

D
Actually, not true.

This has a very strong implication of ship interiors being released later, as part of Odyssey.

I know that FDEV used that phrase before (infamous PSVR) and I simply can't understand why they keep using it, if they have no intention of implementing something "after launch" - why even mention the DLC name? It's baffling.

But nevertheless, "not at launch" has an extremely strong connotation to "but maybe later". So they did "hint" about interiors being part of Odyssey.

Again, I cannot understand why they keep using that phrase if they have no intention of releasing something within the DLC they mention in this context... Unless they do?
Excellent. When the game gets another DLC or closes down without ship interiors, then we can talk.

I was partially incorrect, so thank you for that.

This does not change the fact there is no set date for interiors yet, and there never was.

Deleted member 110222

D
Should somebody welcome you to real life as well?

If people feel tricked they will not be happy about it and complain. Is that really that surprising to you?
Yes, you are literally describing my daily life. If you want a reason for my general disagreeableness, it largely boils down to people tricking me a lot.

Eventually you get used to it and no longer care when it happens again.

Not that FD actually tricked us in any way...

Moving on.

Allowing to trade materials - or even barter! - via Fleet Carriers market would be amazing.

I'd like to see a social area in Carriers. Stuff like mat trading could happen there (as much as it could happen anywhere between two on-foot Cmdrs) but it would also allow physical multi-crew exchanges between ships and a big one for me, the ability to sell exobiology data and act as an on-foot respawn point for those times where the Cmdr would otherwise be returned to the last station they docked at.

Since yesterday evening i am experiencing massive Lags on ground missions again. At first after upgrade to 6.01 it seemed to be fixed.... And what i never hab before the bartender was not able to trade with me, always getting an transaction error no matter what i was trading and how much, and yes i had enough space in may cargo

When one gets up out of the seat when in a ship, the camera actually shift a little bit, to indicate the character is getting up, as it fades to black, though the outside view is pop out of existence. Something very similar could have been done when re-entering the ships. It would make the most sense with ladders or stairs leading up to the door.

Of course, this could be all for naught if we had ship interiors.

I don't really have a problem with the way the Cmdr themselves sees themselves rejoining the ship/SRV but I agree some similar animation of turning towards the entry would add to immersion.

The main thing I would like to see disguised is how it looks to the outside observer though.

I was partially incorrect, so thank you for that.
So which part of "FD never, ever so much as hinted at interiors for this DLC" was correct?
Yes, you are literally describing my daily life. If you want a reason for my general disagreeableness, it largely boils down to people tricking me a lot.

Eventually you get used to it and no longer care when it happens again.
On that note, might I interest you in some magic beans?

Since yesterday evening i am experiencing massive Lags on ground missions again. At first after upgrade to 6.01 it seemed to be fixed.... And what i never hab before the bartender was not able to trade with me, always getting an transaction error no matter what i was trading and how much, and yes i had enough space in may cargo
They haven't Been taking bug reports from the forum, * unless also providing a link to issue tracker report.

Not that FD actually tricked us in any way...
From Community Member Arthur Tolmie, during an interview with Lave Radio: "But at the moment it's a case of where do we put our resources, and at the moment it's not Ship Interiors."
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/nve0e0 Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/nve0e0/cm_arf_on_laveradio_i_can_relay_the_message_as/

Also Arthur, with Black Sky Legion, paraphrased: "It'll take too long to get back onto your ship, you'll get blown up, you won't be having fun anymore. Asking for them is asking for a fundemental change in the game."
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjPjgfZC1pI

Lord Braben Himself, from the very early days of the game, paraphrased: "One thing we built into the structure of the game is ship interiors, and being able to walk around them and on planets and in stations on foot. We've designed all the ships with interiors in mind, how the cargo is loaded and unloaded, all of that."

Odyssey is the perfect time for Ship Interiors, and they already made like 96% of the assets for them, too.

Last edited:
Odyssey is the perfect time for Ship Interiors, and they already made like 96% of the assets for them, too.
So how will interiors help the BGS, Powerplay?

How will interiors be integrated into fights?

Boarding sounds great, but then you'll have to deal with logging- how will boarders react to a vanishing ship?

Will broken canopies allow instagibbed pilots? What about hull breaching munitions?

Who really wants to carry cargo in and out of a ship?

Fixing things like breaches and repelling boarders sounds excellent, but if the general game loop of point to point flight cuts out mixing with other ships (and that station drop zones are so small) where will boarding take place?

If we can board, what happens to a ships ownership?

Interiors are a great idea, but they have substantial hooks into other areas of the game that need sorting first.

Also Arthur, with Black Sky Legion, paraphrased: "It'll take too long to get back onto your ship, you'll get blown up, you won't be having fun anymore. Asking for them is asking for a fundemental change in the game."
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjPjgfZC1pI

I remember having a similar concern over rejoining the ship from the SRV (introduced in 2.0 Horizons launch), with PvP the issue remains of course, with PvE it was solved simply by having the NPCs ignore the ship until the SRV was really close to it so Arthur's statement there doesn't hold water, the same basic solution could be applied.

That said one of the worst chores for me in Odd is travelling from the blue circle 'door' of my Corvette, Cutter or Python to the station lift & back and I am grateful for the occasions where the lifts are to the side of the pad, and having to return to the concourse rather than using the lift to go directly to a teammate's hanger (both of which we did get) so I'm no fan of pointless timesinks either.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom