Odyssey Going Forwards

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I don't have gsync or freesync on my monitor (most likely my next investigation) and my monitor only has 60 Hz. That's why I preferred standard VSync for quite a while, which also caps my frame rates at 60 FPS. But with fast sync I get better results, also mitigates tearing, which I always see when using hard caps. With fast VSync it goes up to 120 FPS now (mostly in space or wherever the environment allows it), no tearing (but on software basis of course which should lead to some performance loss) while still preventing my GPU to go through the roof with something like 300+ FPS. I didn't compare systematically to standard VSync, so you'll have to check for yourself. Maybe I'm making things up, but it feels like an overall performance win to me...

This function is easy to find in the control panel, it's almost down to the bottom. I'm using dedicated settings for Elite (edlaunch.exe, under the tab program settings), so that it doesn't effect other applications. The only downside of not setting it to global is that it always get reset after a driver update.
Good, Thanks, I'll try that tonight (still 2PM where I live :))

But what's about this FXAA and X 1.25 in the attachment of your post below:
And please, lets also compare our resolutions. Again, mine is 2560 x 1440. If you have a much better monitor than mine (which is good possible) than your GPU load could be higher accordingly.
My monitor is 1920 x 1080. ) The last video was shot using FXAA and x1.25, and I made a new video with new graphics settings in the game SMAA and x1.0. When it is uploaded to YouTube, I will publish it immediately. OK?

My monitor is 1920 x 1080. ) The last video was shot using FXAA and x1.25, and I made a new video with new graphics settings in the game SMAA and x1.0. When it is uploaded to YouTube, I will publish it immediately. OK?
I use SMAA snd 1 x super sampling. I have a 2080ti and tbe performance is "ok" but not amazing.

I use SMAA snd 1 x super sampling. I have a 2080ti and tbe performance is "ok" but not amazing.
Try to fly over settlements from my videos. Try to record a video of a flight over a populated area and display the game graphics settings on the video. Not all settlements have such strong FPS drops, but nevertheless they are bad.

A lot of big words there like "misleading advertising", "deception" and "bait and switch". I personally don't think either was the case and it's a massive exaggeration to say that. I think it's just bizarre to use that kind of phrasing is all.
Personally I understand the sentiment and feel much the same way. A large portion of the community does feel hoodwinked, whether that is true or not is irrelevant, the sentiment exists and is entirely the fault of ED.

Sorry, but I don't tend to respond to passive-aggressive posts. They are pointless and tell more about the poster, than the person they are targetting.

(See what I did there?)
Glass houses & throwing stones come to mind, your recent posts have been full of passive aggression and unbecoming for a volunteer moderator.

Ship interiors are a big enough feature for a completely separate DLC. (I'd like to see content based on opening up larger areas of the orbiting stations, too, like missions to hunt down a fugitive, fight a conflict zone in corridors & rooms, repel invaders in a war, that kind of thing.)
And zero G legs..

The problem is that not only the settlement disrupts the FPS, but the stones scattered around the settlement also disrupt the FPS, and the canyon itself also affects the FPS. Try flying at low altitude with turns without a flight assistant. Maintain roughly the same height, trajectory and turn rate as mine in the video.
EDIT
Also try not to slow down, keep at about the same speed as mine.

Last edited:
I wanted to shoot a series of videos for machinima on the game Elite Dangerous Odyssey, but ... - it's just some kind of horror.
Elite Dangerous Odyssey - Falls and jumps of FPS in the settlement, lags, friezes. (The video is divided into time segments.)
Please remind me where Odyssey is heading?
I'm seeing the same stuttering in very big settlements. Looks like a temporary overload of the PC while loading new parts of the settlement. Which is a bit ridiculous, as I'm running the game from a SSD. SATA though, maybe I have to move the game to my NVMe instead ? I wouldn't call it unplayable, but it sure needs optimisation.

No, I'm not.

But NMS is nowhere near a direct competitor to Elite. It's great for exploration of unrealistic and completely static, but fantastic and colourful worlds, where you can ride butterfly-dinosaur-cockroaches and sand-worms from Dune. And it's THE definition of mandatory grind, which you've complained about in Elite. Luckily there are mods to combat that, but not everyone will have the skills or the time required to mod their game.

It is a completely different game to Elite and offers completely different experience.

Star Citizen, while being currently the closest thing to being a direct competitor, is still in Alpha after 10 years of development and it's much more bugged and prone to crashes than Elite ever was. Additionally, while it does offer some nice and immersive gameplay, it does not offer the 1:1 scale and it currently only has 1 system (yes, I know there is plenty to do, but it gets old pretty quickly IMO). Also, there are wipes and there is no in-game lore for it. It is not a "game" at this stage.

I realise that people migrate to other games, but this is normal. In the same way people migrate to Elite from other games. It works both ways.

And lastly, I don't know why people are of the "you can only play one game" mindset. I have a feeling you are trying to say that once people try NMS or SC they will never ever come back to Elite. I think this is completely wrong. People will play the game they feel like playing. I most often play Elite, but I often play SC and NMS too. It's not a matter of "either or" at all, never was and never will be.

This whole "Elite will die because there are other games" is what makes me laugh so hard.

Glass houses & throwing stones come to mind, your recent posts have been full of passive aggression and unbecoming for a volunteer moderator.
Despite what he said, he was mocking me. It couldn't be any more obvious. It seems to be the attitude to paying customers (Not Sally, she's brilliant. Also Zac, I like him). We've even seen people being mocked on official Elite live streams and it's prevalent from Mods on here. No wonder people are disenfranchised with Elite. The rot is everywhere. No doubt he'll come back with some clever comment or a ban. I literally don't care because a) I've got screenshots of the conversation and b) as we speak I'm downloading Star Citizen for the first time thanks to the attitude here. I'll go where I'm wanted.

Apart from the work on the performance and the bugs
Information about which changes or extensions are planned next would be interesting. These could be discussed in advance so that it does not lead to misunderstandings and annoyance again. At the moment we know next to nothing where the journey should go.

I'm seeing the same stuttering in very big settlements. Looks like a temporary overload of the PC while loading new parts of the settlement. Which is a bit ridiculous, as I'm running the game from a SSD. SATA though, maybe I have to move the game to my NVMe instead ? I wouldn't call it unplayable, but it sure needs optimisation.
NVME SSD is not and should never be a minimum expectation for getting minimum viable performance.

If Horizons could run off an HDD fine, and Odyssey is simply an expansion for the game, it should not suddenly REQUIRE an NVME to run properly.

NVME SSD is not and should never be a minimum expectation for getting minimum viable performance.

If Horizons could run off an HDD fine, and Odyssey is simply an expansion for the game, it should not suddenly REQUIRE an NVME to run properly.
Regardless of whether it should be needed or not, I can confirm that running the game from NVMe does help with disk based IO.

I just happened (for video processing purposes) to be replacing my 1 TB SATA 3 SSD with a 1 TB NVMe almost exactly one month after Odyssey dropped. After the replacement, the performance difference was noticeable to me. I didn't notice any further stuttering until after Update 5 but that seems to have since gone away as well.

That said, my NVMe (WDS100T2B0C) is on the lower priced end of the range and the performance is about 4 times faster than the SATA 3 SSD.

This is my experience. YMMV.

Yes it is a video game. Many players want it to makes sense. ED is supposed to be a semi-realistic game. The introduction of teleporters makes no sense. Why do we have cargo hatches and cargo handling systems if teleporting exists??? Why can't I teleport explosives directly onto another ship? It makes no sense.

The point being made by others is: rather than introducing 'teleportation' as a technology in the ED universe, they could have just had the players press 'E' to enter the ship and everybody would understand the cmdr entered the ship. Just like hundreds of other video games that allow players to enter a door but is lacking the animation. It is generally accepted as ok.

Well sure there are lots of things in the game that don't make sense. But why add more items to the list? Yes its too late now, it has been done. Teleportation now exists in the game. Making the ED universe that much more illogical and inconsistent.
You're right - the addition of teleporters makes no sense.

So consider this - they didn't add teleporters. They added an indicator to show you where to go to board your ship.

And the fade-to-black is also not teleportation - it's a placeholder for all the thousands of hours extra work that needs to be done before we can
  1. Extend the staircase (some ships don't have one and the door is way up high - I think the Asp Exp is an example?);
  2. Walk up it;
  3. Traverse the corridors (hundreds of meters of them on the big ships) through the fully fleshed-out ship interior to the cockpit;
  4. [Insert other optional ship interior game play - visit the head, make a coffee, stow the stuff you just stole from the settlement etc]
  5. Sit in the pilot's seat (or not, if we're crewing on someone else's ship?)
  6. Engage the engines...
Putting on my developer hat, the amount of work on the programming side for all that scares me, even before I consider the amount of 3D modelling, audio and lighting design that will have to happen. And remember, steps 3 & 4 at least are multiplied by however many Ships there are in game (I've lost count), scaled appropriately for the size of the ship.

I'm glad we didn't have to wait.

My game is on an nvme disk and the performances are bad in the same kind of settlements....

Yes, can confirm that now:
Note that this installation is placed on a "hill" between 2 nearby deep canyons. That's probably too much vertexes at once...
The on foot performance is not that bad though.
Guess the devs will have a lot of fun to nail down what's wrong with this place.
Unfortunately the canyon by itself has nothing to do with the bad framerate, and I agree with @Sergo that there may be a bug with the rock (Krysst Analysis Lab in Epsilon Hydri 6a has exactly the same problem, lots of rocks nut no canyon around).

Remarkably, Epsilon Hydri 6a and Gbekree AB7a share something in common : They are both the first satellite of a brown dwarf (Y) star (the main stars are different though).

I don't think that the brown dwarf is the cause of the problem but still... may be worth investigating.

Infos:
EDSM : Epsilon Hydri (bodies)
EDSM : Gbekree (bodies)

Last edited:
All the talk of ship interiors does lend the to the fact that for the most part ED is empty, if you look at the game as a whole:
1) Supercruise is empty apart from when your doing something around stations, planets etc.
2) most of the space sections have nothing much in them, space is interspersed with planets and things in the way but you can go from the nav beacon to your destination with little or no interaction on your part until you get to less than a minute away in Supercruise.
3) Hyperspace is 99.9% empty apart from the odd occasional Thargoid encounter cut scene.

If you add in ship interior's there would be a huge section of the game where we would be waiting for something to do. This is where the jump drive in Elite made it fun we can jump to the next encounter etc, ED had Supercruise but unlike jump drive it doesn't get mass locked ;)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom