Odyssey Going Forwards

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
All the talk of ship interiors does lend the to the fact that for the most part ED is empty, if you look at the game as a whole:
1) Supercruise is empty apart from when your doing something around stations, planets etc.
2) most of the space sections have nothing much in them, space is interspersed with planets and things in the way but you can go from the nav beacon to your destination with little or no interaction on your part until you get to less than a minute away in Supercruise.
3) Hyperspace is 99.9% empty apart from the odd occasional Thargoid encounter cut scene.

If you add in ship interior's there would be a huge section of the game where we would be waiting for something to do. This is where the jump drive in Elite made it fun we can jump to the next encounter etc, ED had Supercruise but unlike jump drive it doesn't get mass locked ;)
You know, that's the reason why it's called "Space". There is plenty of that "out there". 🤷‍♀️ :sneaky:

Yes, FDev is very professional in this. FDev can sell empty packaging very dearly.
For a long time, buyers desperately look for the contents and fill the pack with their imagination.
At some point they are just as empty as the package.

Yes, FDev is very professional in this. FDev can sell empty packaging very dearly.
For a long time, buyers desperately look for the contents and fill the pack with their imagination.
ED is like buying an easter egg lol, £10 worth of packaging and 50p of chocolate lol.

Well that's easy, watch any of Cmdr Kate's Star Citizen YouTube videos.
Kate is in the honeymoon SC phase. The Jeff Goldblum "ooh, aahh" phase. Later there's running and screaming mindless train rides, 30ks, noodle-men and account wipes.

The long term SC streamers know, which is why they aren't as enthusiastic.

OR ... flying a space ship in space IS the game, and some people like it?

Frontier I'm posting this here because I can't seem to add more than 1 image for comparison to the issue tracker.

Here is the entry in the issue tracker by someone else which I have contributed to.

As you can see I own SRV paint job Chase Orange (purchased in Horizons). I bought it because it's a close match to my ExplorerConda
SRV-Store.JPG

Here it is on Horizons. A perfect match to that in the store.

20201109234949_1.jpg

Here it is on Odyssey. A weird kind of ref that no longer matches my Anaconda.

20210814131849_1.jpg

And just for reference here is my Anaconda with a similar looking paint job to the Horizons version of my SRV. Which is why I purchased it.
20201111214928_1.jpg

Thanks,UM

I've thought for a long time that there needs to be a general ship touchup,

ideally this would include an addition I think is missing, hard-docking ports, not as an additional module, that's boring, they should be a default part of at least almost every ship, and allow for at the very least transfer of fuel and electricity, but also personnel.

wouldn't this mean fuel transfer limpets are useless/redundant?, nope, (and really what's the problem with redundancy?) the main idea here is you're going to have to manage docking one port to another which is a lot harder than it seems if your target lacks the ability to control it's attitude or relative velocity.

this, along with ships not blowing up if you manage a pilot snipe, would set the groundwork for future interior and more importantly boarding-style actions and encounters.

I reckon that fdev may get it to work on PS5, but not the PS4. As much as I love Elite, I am not buying a PS5 just to see Odyssey type planets and play a fairly basic fps.
If Odyssey can't be nerfed enough to work properly on PS4 and doesn't have some extra content added (you know, something that the PC master race hasn't already found) then it's back to nms for me.
I'm hoping that I am completely wrong though.

I feel how on-foot was developed in Odyssey was badly thought out. It instantly disenfranchised those commanders who spent most of their time exploring outside the bubble, leaving them with an afterthought of a xenobiology mini-game, and no Artemis suit in a 2,000 light-year radius. Introducing ship interiors as part of the expansion would have likely been far more successful, and certainly in keeping with the continuity of game play as you suggest.

Still, bolting on a FPS was probably the least resource intensive option, which I expect is the reason we got that.
This is my view for sure.

FPS can also be marketed to draw in New players whereas interiors is more for existing players.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom