Odyssey Going Forwards

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Greetings Commanders.

With the release of Update 5 on 1st July plus a few smaller server updates since, and Update 6 currently in development, I wanted to take a moment of your time to talk about the next steps for Elite Dangerous.

We are aware and fully accept the frustration that many of our players have had with their experience of Elite Dangerous Odyssey. The community have spoken, we have heard the feedback clearly and we will act on that feedback.

As you may remember in our recent development article, the significant amount of updates and development effort that has been done to fix and improve issues since the launch of Odyssey has meant work on our console release has not progressed as quickly as we had hoped. What’s more, we can see that the strides we have made through the last five major updates are positive, but we must continue on with this progress to give the experience that you and we expect on PC.

With those things in mind, we have spent a lot of time discussing and re-evaluating our previous plans and we have made the decision to prioritise the core PC experience for Elite Dangerous. Ultimately, we believe it is right to focus our efforts on the core Elite Dangerous Odyssey experience for the platforms that we have released on, before opening up to more. We know that the work that we do to improve players’ experiences of Elite Dangerous Odyssey on PC will benefit other platforms in the future, but the dates and details of the console platforms are going to change. We do not want to rush into confirming any dates or changes this has on our console release, as we must remain fully focused on the core Elite experience. Only when we feel that the foundation of the PC release is solid, will we be able to re-lay our console roadmap on top.

Elite Dangerous Odyssey is an important step on a complicated journey, and we must get this right, before we can consider moving on to these new platforms.

So what does this actually mean for Elite Dangerous and Elite Dangerous Odyssey?

It means that we will see more game updates over the coming months. We will continue to work through Issue Tracker, fix bugs and improve performance, but we will also be able to explore and add additional features, content and improvements into the game.

We will continue to give open monthly development updates where we discuss WIP content, challenges, the issue tracker and more. We know that the previous levels of detail for the roadmap and developer update have not met expectations, but we are grateful for your patience while we shift and adjust plans, in the face of such clear feedback.

Please remember that our team here at Frontier are working hard to support the game and our community. Behind every bug fix, design decision and community post is a person who cares a lot about giving our players best possible experience. I would ask that everyone remains calm and respectful when sharing their thoughts and feedback.

We all have the same goal and we will get there, together. Please bear with us.

o7 Commanders.
Appreciate the Update 07 CMNDR

True. Except one would make you a super happy chappy.. and the other is a few million bucks.
I'd rather have the money. Then I could Kickstart my own never ending pre-alpha tax evasion scheme while offering everyone everything they want @ $1000 a pop. Either that or buy a significant % of Frontier just to show up at board meetings in my jammies smoking on something that's legal where I live (so get off my back about it 😉) , just to angrily demand answers for the red-headed-step-community that are the thoroughly neglected console cmdrs

I'd rather have the money.
At this stage, me too.
I'm finding harder and harder to get back to Elite. i miss watching movies while flying mindlessly between rocks and mining until kingdom come. But after a while you start asking yourself: When do you have enough money? So why should I mine more?
Or grind even more ranks in anything. I've tried going Elite II or III in Exploration. 3 weeks out in the black, scanning and scanning a lot of stuff. I come back. Made about 150m. 3-4h scanning stuff, every day. And it's not even interesting! While mining I get to experience joy when finding a 60+ rock.

And what you say - someone has done it before!
They applied as a programmer to a company, got hired. In the first 3 days, he fixed a bug in the program that was annoying him as a customer, submitted the fix, it got accepted and he quit the next day.

So yes, i'd do about the same thing! Get them to release new ships, new SRVs, new content ASAP so players have something to do. The community has already supplied tons and tons of ideas.

Ya know - I don't see why this news is bad news. Why wouldn't they focus on the core PC product and fix that first?
To be honest I don't understand people playing this game on console, and NO, I am not a PC snob it's just all I have.
My PC is my gaming platform, my work platform, one of my socializing platforms, yada yada.
I can't afford a console, I use what I have, and upgrade it as I have the money.

My PC is my gaming platform, my work platform, one of my socializing platforms, yada yada.
I can't afford a console, I use what I have, and upgrade it as I have the money.
Look at it from the console aspect (I'm a PC player myself btw)
A console is a "relatively cheap" gaming platform. A "poor man's version of a gaming PC" if you wish.
A decent gaming PC will set you back a fair bit more than an Xbox or a PS4 or PS5 (I'm not talking about the overpriced scalper version, regular retail). However it will allow you to do so much more. In a PC, YOU pick the components. YOU decide, what graphics card goes in there, how much RAM you want, how many monitors you want to play a game on.
3 x 56" screens? Gotcha covered.

Saying you can't afford a console is a wrong statement in my eyes if you have a gaming PC. As a PC gamer, I see it as "I don't need a console, I got a PC"
Plus, a PC doesn't have any limits. You can always run an emulator for Xbox or PS on it. Now try it the other way around.

Still think "can't afford a console" is a bad thing? ;)

Ya know - I don't see why this news is bad news. Why wouldn't they focus on the core PC product and fix that first?
To be honest I don't understand people playing this game on console, and NO, I am not a PC snob it's just all I have.
If they optimized to the point it would run steady 30 fps on ps4 and Xbox, it would easily do 60+ fps on most gaming PCs. Doing PC first like they are means they will have to take just as long to make it work on console after PC works. Optimizing for console first, both would be ready at the same time.

I don't see why people play elite on PC there are better games ?( My thoughts only)
And to be truthful I could afford a high end PC but here is the crunch I wouldn't play Elite on it .
There are certain games (redacted) I would play .
I have upgraded to an series X ( I've been playing on my Xbox 1 since I got Elite 2016 ) . I've been putting off buying flight simulator because if I did I wouldn't play Elite .
ELite is my comfort go to game I started back in 1985 . So it's hard to stop but if I did I don't think I would come back so I keep on playing just in case .

96%, really? I mean perhaps that might make some sense if you only want the cockpits that are currently modelled and visible now, even then 96% is probably too high, but okay.

For the rest of the ship interiors? I mean we know what SC artists and devs do, it isn't spending time to create a system to recreate multiple star systems with orbital mechanics etc, they spend their time on ship interiors and art assets. For fdev to create the interiors in a similar fashion would take.... a long time. The ships are huge.
what's the point of those orbital mechanics?
can you do a free return trajectory around a moon and back without a fuel burn?
will someone parking be killed by a bit of scrap falling on their ship at extreme velocity?

if I want (semi) realistic orbital mechanics I'll play KSP, because then the orbital mechanics matter, having played dwarf fortress and minecraft I'm not particularly impressed by ED's size, it's mostly empty and repeating the same thing over and over again.

FPS can also be marketed to draw in New players whereas interiors is more for existing players.
I'm not sure that this is correct, or relies on a mistaken marketing where they assume because there's fps there must be interiors.

remember interiors mean that you have stuff like boarding action's made possible, hijackings etc.

96%, really? I mean perhaps that might make some sense if you only want the cockpits that are currently modelled and visible now, even then 96% is probably too high, but okay.

For the rest of the ship interiors? I mean we know what SC artists and devs do, it isn't spending time to create a system to recreate multiple star systems with orbital mechanics etc, they spend their time on ship interiors and art assets. For fdev to create the interiors in a similar fashion would take.... a long time. The ships are huge.

A separate dlc, imo.

Also, EDO is not the perfect time for interiors, for fdev. It might be for us, in the same way that today is the perfect day for me to become a millionaire, but what I want bears no relation to what is realistically possible. EDO was a logical stepping stone - the player 'entity' walking in stations, on ground etc, it was just an extension of what was there. But having multiple players be able to walk in each others ships, EVA, boarding etc, rather than the multicrew extension we have, that is a rewrite of how the game works. I'm sure it's possible but it's a lot more complicated I suspect than adding walking in stations or on planets.
The ships aren't already there?

If they optimized to the point it would run steady 30 fps on ps4 and Xbox, it would easily do 60+ fps on most gaming PCs.
In some ways my spec i5-8400 +GTX1070 isn't far off what a console is (except intel/nvidia not AMD/AMD) so this makes sense to me.

However, there is mention of a CPU load bug ..
Separately, we have heard reports of very high spec machines failing to perform as expected. We believe this is a different issue, possibly CPU-related, and are looking into that too, as we speak.
... and I certainly seem to be getting better performance than many people report on their i9/Ryzen9 + 3090/6800XT.

Doing PC first like they are means they will have to take just as long to make it work on console after PC works. Optimizing for console first, both would be ready at the same time.
If we treat Consoles as mid tier PCs, then there is a demographic opportunity here. With Console you have a lot of people of just a few guaranteed specification. It kind of makes sense to make one set of updates that would make that large group of people happy because it's easier to target that limited number of specifications...

..except then you might have made changes that make your code work well ONLY for that specification. e.g. If they only target PS4 (not pro) then 4K gaming could still be terrible.

For me, targetting PCs first just means they have not engaged Sony and Microsoft yet, they are not focusing on optimisations for console yet, and they are testing fixes against a wider set of hardware and configurations.

I'd rather have the money. Then I could Kickstart my own never ending pre-alpha tax evasion scheme while offering everyone everything they want @ $1000 a pop. Either that or buy a significant % of Frontier just to show up at board meetings in my jammies smoking on something that's legal where I live (so get off my back about it 😉) , just to angrily demand answers for the red-headed-step-community that are the thoroughly neglected console cmdrs
Do you work for tencent by any chance? They've got a seat on the board at FD.

Do you work for tencent by any chance? They've got a seat on the board at FD.
I'd rather work for 50 Cent lmao

1978.jpg

Moon dog

Banned
Nice to know some of the master race is concerned for us console bums 😁

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom