Odyssey Going Forwards

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Look at the motivation of this guy, talking about VR implementation in his game .. agreed, it was a commercial speech, and a long time ago, but I don't see this kind of motivation about VR anymore at all, on the contrary: only silence towards the VR community .. in 2021, projecting a game on a cinema-screen in VR just doesn't do it anymore, if you pay the full price of a game for an expansion, you can expect to keep what you have, and then get something more .. here we got something, but you took away from us at the same time .. I have pre-purchased, because I loved the game (WITH VR) . . if I had known this was the way you would ignore completely the part that I enjoy most, I'd never have paid for this 'expansion'. I can only naïvely hope you will implement the simpelest 'look around' mode [in Free-cam it's working!] for VR players.

Look at the motivation of this guy, talking about VR implementation in his game .. agreed, it was a commercial speech, and a long time ago, but I don't see this kind of motivation about VR anymore at all, on the contrary: only silence towards the VR community .. in 2021, projecting a game on a cinema-screen in VR just doesn't do it anymore, if you pay the full price of a game for an expansion, you can expect to keep what you have, and then get something more .. here we got something, but you took away from us at the same time .. I have pre-purchased, because I loved the game (WITH VR) . . if I had known this was the way you would ignore completely the part that I enjoy most, I'd never have paid for this 'expansion'. I can only naïvely hope you will implement the simpelest 'look around' mode [in Free-cam it's working!] for VR players.
40k style plasma weapons that can easily blind players dumb enough to look at their target while shooting.. (controls default to an ARMA-esque system of freelook on PC or something and helmets can include welding goggles)

Greetings Commanders.

With the release of Update 5 on 1st July plus a few smaller server updates since, and Update 6 currently in development, I wanted to take a moment of your time to talk about the next steps for Elite Dangerous.

We are aware and fully accept the frustration that many of our players have had with their experience of Elite Dangerous Odyssey. The community have spoken, we have heard the feedback clearly and we will act on that feedback.

As you may remember in our recent development article, the significant amount of updates and development effort that has been done to fix and improve issues since the launch of Odyssey has meant work on our console release has not progressed as quickly as we had hoped. What’s more, we can see that the strides we have made through the last five major updates are positive, but we must continue on with this progress to give the experience that you and we expect on PC.

With those things in mind, we have spent a lot of time discussing and re-evaluating our previous plans and we have made the decision to prioritise the core PC experience for Elite Dangerous. Ultimately, we believe it is right to focus our efforts on the core Elite Dangerous Odyssey experience for the platforms that we have released on, before opening up to more. We know that the work that we do to improve players’ experiences of Elite Dangerous Odyssey on PC will benefit other platforms in the future, but the dates and details of the console platforms are going to change. We do not want to rush into confirming any dates or changes this has on our console release, as we must remain fully focused on the core Elite experience. Only when we feel that the foundation of the PC release is solid, will we be able to re-lay our console roadmap on top.

Elite Dangerous Odyssey is an important step on a complicated journey, and we must get this right, before we can consider moving on to these new platforms.

So what does this actually mean for Elite Dangerous and Elite Dangerous Odyssey?

It means that we will see more game updates over the coming months. We will continue to work through Issue Tracker, fix bugs and improve performance, but we will also be able to explore and add additional features, content and improvements into the game.

We will continue to give open monthly development updates where we discuss WIP content, challenges, the issue tracker and more. We know that the previous levels of detail for the roadmap and developer update have not met expectations, but we are grateful for your patience while we shift and adjust plans, in the face of such clear feedback.

Please remember that our team here at Frontier are working hard to support the game and our community. Behind every bug fix, design decision and community post is a person who cares a lot about giving our players best possible experience. I would ask that everyone remains calm and respectful when sharing their thoughts and feedback.

We all have the same goal and we will get there, together. Please bear with us.

o7 Commanders.
David, any news on updates to Edo

Since July 12th its been all guess, can you or anyone in fdev give us anything ref Edo going forward, an update perhaps. Please 🙏

I feel ED is quite conservative and the step by step approach is a little stifling. Sure, Odyssey was a big change and I personally found it okay but a bit lackluster. But minor changes (compared to what other similar games can churn out) could reasonably be done. Here's some minor changes I would expect to be reasonable, as someone with over 200 hrs of game play this is what i feel would add a lot and appear to be relatively minor (not saying that's a lot):

1) More unique cockpits to give each ship a different feel (different displays, colors, ways of conveying information).
2) A more steady release of ships / land vehicles.
3) The development of a more complex and rewarding biology system (maybe some basic mechanics to make it more difficult & rewarding by including difficult mini games similar to those you would in other games).
4) The ability to turn on/off certain cockpit lights.
5) The ability to display ranks through clothing options only available to that rank.

Obviously there are much bigger changes people want, such as Ship Interiors...but that's obviously a whole different kettle of fish.

I want a bartender that sells drinks
A bar with a back room for dodgy but lucrative missions, that you only get access to when you have a certain reputation - the bartender gives you the nod.
I want ranks to mean something. If I’m an Admiral, that should see me being greeted as such at Federation ports and with access to particular military facilities. Access to military installation with an officer’s mess unlocked at some lower rank, complete with specific military missions. Right now, except for the corvette, why bother.
I want specific accolades to be recorded in game, not just in Inara. Be able to place my Hutton mug in my cockpit.
I want to be able to organise my bookmarks!
I want to be able to search for stuff in the galaxy like material traders, material prices or ship upgrades without using a third party tool. Limit it to places I’ve been to perhaps so there’s merit in building up a network. Why bother turning those red stars blue by exploring them. Nothing gained.
Embryonic base building, I’d love to be able to have a ‘stash’ site I could leave on planets. A warehouse and a beacon with some repair facilities, and a campfire for telling stories round.

So many QOL improvements and both easy and not so easy wins that would bring a better feeling of depth.

I would like to say that I appreciate the Devs being open about Odyssey's progress and setbacks on console. I don't know what others have said but I would much rather wait for something that has been refined and made compatible rather than having to deal with something that's extremely frustrating. So I guess I'm just saying thanks to the Devs for keeping open communication and want to make it known that I, for one, am (for lack of a better phrase) rooting for you

Greetings Commanders.

With the release of Update 5 on 1st July plus a few smaller server updates since, and Update 6 currently in development, I wanted to take a moment of your time to talk about the next steps for Elite Dangerous.

We are aware and fully accept the frustration that many of our players have had with their experience of Elite Dangerous Odyssey. The community have spoken, we have heard the feedback clearly and we will act on that feedback.

As you may remember in our recent development article, the significant amount of updates and development effort that has been done to fix and improve issues since the launch of Odyssey has meant work on our console release has not progressed as quickly as we had hoped. What’s more, we can see that the strides we have made through the last five major updates are positive, but we must continue on with this progress to give the experience that you and we expect on PC.

With those things in mind, we have spent a lot of time discussing and re-evaluating our previous plans and we have made the decision to prioritise the core PC experience for Elite Dangerous. Ultimately, we believe it is right to focus our efforts on the core Elite Dangerous Odyssey experience for the platforms that we have released on, before opening up to more. We know that the work that we do to improve players’ experiences of Elite Dangerous Odyssey on PC will benefit other platforms in the future, but the dates and details of the console platforms are going to change. We do not want to rush into confirming any dates or changes this has on our console release, as we must remain fully focused on the core Elite experience. Only when we feel that the foundation of the PC release is solid, will we be able to re-lay our console roadmap on top.

Elite Dangerous Odyssey is an important step on a complicated journey, and we must get this right, before we can consider moving on to these new platforms.

So what does this actually mean for Elite Dangerous and Elite Dangerous Odyssey?

It means that we will see more game updates over the coming months. We will continue to work through Issue Tracker, fix bugs and improve performance, but we will also be able to explore and add additional features, content and improvements into the game.

We will continue to give open monthly development updates where we discuss WIP content, challenges, the issue tracker and more. We know that the previous levels of detail for the roadmap and developer update have not met expectations, but we are grateful for your patience while we shift and adjust plans, in the face of such clear feedback.

Please remember that our team here at Frontier are working hard to support the game and our community. Behind every bug fix, design decision and community post is a person who cares a lot about giving our players best possible experience. I would ask that everyone remains calm and respectful when sharing their thoughts and feedback.

o7 Commanders.
It's been a month since the last update, and the game still has a large number of issues, many of them game-breaking. I still frequently encounter missions that I can't complete because the objective container is buried in terrain. I've been in battles where all NPC's are stuck and can't move the entire fight so I have to kill all 900 by myself. Female characters can't wear opaque helmets (they show as transparent). These are just some of the bugs I'm talking about, not even mentioning the design choices which are fundamentally flawed in themselves (like on foot weapons handling like you are underwater no matter what the gravity on the planet is). I guess my question is, clearly the game is still a mess, so why the long gap between updates, and when will the next one be? And if you aren't going to update regularly, at the very least please communicate with your customers more regularly.

It's been a month since the last update, and the game still has a large number of issues, many of them game-breaking. I still frequently encounter missions that I can't complete because the objective container is buried in terrain. I've been in battles where all NPC's are stuck and can't move the entire fight so I have to kill all 900 by myself. Female characters can't wear opaque helmets (they show as transparent). These are just some of the bugs I'm talking about, not even mentioning the design choices which are fundamentally flawed in themselves (like on foot weapons handling like you are underwater no matter what the gravity on the planet is). I guess my question is, clearly the game is still a mess, so why the long gap between updates, and when will the next one be? And if you aren't going to update regularly, at the very least please communicate with your customers more regularly.

The most up to date info is here:

The next update (update 7) is planned to be released mid-September.

For all the latest posts on this forum by Frontier staff you can go here:

I would guess the reason for longer times between updates is because the quick fixes were done first (back in May/June).

Communication has improved considerably since the Odd launch, with developer updates scheduled monthly (the third is the first link I provided).

Just a PSA: People on Playstation 4 ARE Holding out Hope that Odyssey will make it to its console. I think its why people on console still play Horizons.
It would perhaps be a mistake not to release it on PS4/XONE. SO I hope that its still considered for these consoles.
Please update the community soon on console develpment. Thank You, Good Day

Greetings Commanders.

o7 Commanders.
For me it would not matter if it is buggy or not "fully fletched" as some people have pointed out. I play on xbox and is my non-existent spacelegs is tingling for a stretch and i cant wait until this is finally out for everyone who cant afford a 1k+ gaming computer.

is there any updates or progress on any release date as of yet?

For me it would not matter if it is buggy or not "fully fletched" as some people have pointed out. I play on xbox and is my non-existent spacelegs is tingling for a stretch and i cant wait until this is finally out for everyone who cant afford a 1k+ gaming computer.

is there any updates or progress on any release date as of yet?
We won't hear any news for 6-12 months as they still can't get EDO to work on PC .

Greetings Commanders.

o7 Commanders.
Please don't cut console releases. A lot of us are huge fans of the franchise.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom