Odyssey: Is it worth the price?

Well bearing in mind a pint costs £4.50 and lasts 1/4 of an hour (at best)…

I’d say it’s worth the money, but that’s my subjective opinion and I’m not trying to pass it off as objective.

That's a bad comparison. Video games are completely optional...

tumblr_m43lbomXL01qeghht.gif

Wait isn't odyssey like horizons with a year or so of content?
Nope, no season but a single release. But it very much looks like Frontier plan on adding content anyway and we'll probably hear more about that next Thursday.

I assume this was most likely done as precaution. If something turns out to not work/be feasible it can be dropped without people asking where the promised content is.

Well bearing in mind a pint costs £4.50 and lasts 1/4 of an hour (at best)…

I’d say it’s worth the money, but that’s my subjective opinion and I’m not trying to pass it off as objective.
But the difference is that you know what you purchase and know what you get. And that you know how drunk you get. Just imagine elite is a beer. They say no worries we have a new recipe and there will be a bit more alcohol in there and also a better taste cause they improved the brewing process. But then you sit there with a pint that tastes likes soapwate and you don't get drunk.
The barkeeper sais He can't give you a refund cause you already had a sip. How would you feel about that? Because that's exactly what they did with odyssey

Nope, no season but a single release. But it very much looks like Frontier plan on adding content anyway and we'll probably hear more about that next Thursday.

I assume this was most likely done as precaution. If something turns out to not work/be feasible it can be dropped without people asking where the promised content is.

6GeS-1.gif

🤣🤣🤣 I'm sorry but you guys gotta be setting me up on purpose

But the difference is that you know what you purchase and know what you get. And that you know how drunk you get. Just imagine elite is a beer. They say no worries we have a new recipe and there will be a bit more alcohol in there and also a better taste cause they improved the brewing process. But then you sit there with a pint that tastes likes soapwate and you don't get drunk.
The barkeeper sais He can't give you a refund cause you already had a sip. How would you feel about that? Because that's exactly what they did with odyssey

You’ve never been to a real ale pub then?

View attachment 243450

🤣🤣🤣 I'm sorry but you guys gotta be setting me up on purpose
<Rant>
The film was the biggest load of detritus I've ever had the misfortune of watching. It was like a really bad 3rd rate American sitcom, that got cancelled after 2 episodes.
It took all that was good out of H2G2, and threw it away - it was bloody awful.

As you may guess I like H2G2 - and that was an abomination.
</Rant>

• I played a lot of hours since the Alpha, and $/hour is extremely cheap versus non-game entertainment (except taking books out of the library).
  • If we compare versus games, I don’t see how anyone can come up with a metric. I play retro games, and can pick them up for $2 on sale on Steam or GOG. I spent about $40 on a sale last year and covered my retro gaming needs for years - I have at least a dozen titles that I haven’t even downloaded yet. For mainstream games, $/hour depends on the title. For me, I probably got way more $/hour out of PS4 Minecraft, but way less on the other dozen PS4 titles I picked up.
  • I don’t have a super powerful rig, so I just dialled back planetary graphics settings, and framerates are acceptable. Most of the time when I’m in the bubble, I’m running around in dark settlements using night vision, so it’s basically wireframe graphics anyway. When I’m exploring, I turned settings back up, and saw pretty planets at good framerates.
  • Once the launch week connection errors ended, the only bugs that are affecting me to any extent are the issues around unlocking engineers. In any event, my plan is to wait for Fdev to lower the requirements anyway.

<Rant>
The film was the biggest load of detritus I've ever had the misfortune of watching. It was like a really bad 3rd rate American sitcom, that got cancelled after 2 episodes.
It took all that was good out of H2G2, and threw it away - it was bloody awful.

As you may guess I like H2G2 - and that was an abomination.
</Rant>
I tend to agree. While I like it I believe it was intended to series of films that never finished. Also I think they didn't think people would get most of it.

For me: sure, why not? But.

I bought a lifetime pass when it was offered around the launch of horizons. I did so because ED was a unique in scratching a particular itch that no other space game did, and I expected ED would likely remain unique in that regard for the remainder of my life. I wanted it to keep going even if it was going to hobble along.

So here it is, hobbling along, getting a good mouthful of dirt. I'm still satisfied with my purchase, and odyssey does indeed expand upon the ways that ED goes about scratching that gaming itch. So if Frontier management could just become competent that would be great.

I tend to agree. While I like it I believe it was intended to series of films that never finished. Also I think they didn't think people would get most of it.
Yes, unfortunately they did as is often is done with hit English things moved over the pond, they took all the things that made it popular out (quirkiness, self deprecating humour, sarcasm etc etc), and made it mainstream - thus destroying the main premise / jokes.

I thought Martin Freeman was a good choice, and I liked the vogons. The less said about Zaphod and Ford Prefect the better.
I thought Stephen Fry would be an obvious choice for the Book, but as it turned out, I wasn't that keen - love him in QI. I think the best version of the book was the original (Peter Jones), but that may just be me being old and grumpy :)
I still listen to the radio series in the background while working - keeps me amused.

EDIT: Apologies for derail of thread:-
In answer to original Question: It's worth it, if you are one of the lucky ones (like me), who can get decent frame rates out of it,
plus you realise that it's not an FPS, it's an extension to Horizon that adds FPS elements - but that's not it's sole purpose.

Deleted member 182079

D
I feel kinda shortchanged in terms of content - expected a fair bit more w.r.t. assets (new SRVs, possibly a new ship or two), a lot more synergies between EDH & EDO content (Horizons assets are pretty much unchanged and there is no added on-foot gameplay involved - everything feels very separate from each other) and the concourses are very barren and copy/paste and there's minimal interaction options (all relevant NPCs are basically menu options), on top of that the planet tech is very hit and miss technically and visually.

We'll probably get some on-foot Thargoid content but I expect this to be bare minimum stuff - think CZ maps but simply in a Thargoid setting - but I'm not holding my breath for anything beyond that.

I'd rather not measure value for money in terms of hours played because at least 50% if not more is spent wasting it - sit in SC be it in an Apex, Vulture dropship, or your very own - or because of server issues or CTDs.

Even if EDO worked as advertised I'd say it would fit better in the 20-25 USD/EUR/GBP bracket; it doesn't add as much to the game as I hoped and I purchased meatier DLCs for half that price (usually around 10-15 Eur).

EDO only got a free pass from me because it's Elite, but if I could go back in time knowing what I do now, I wouldn't have bought it. I won't refund it because I already spent too many hours in it (some even enjoyable, not going to lie), but it does leave a sour aftertaste, particularly in light of what will happen to EDH, which is on borrowed time when it comes to its (imo superior) UI, rendering, performance and (imo less superior but still more coherent) planet tech.

"Get it during a sale once it's optimised, if you must" would be my recommendation.

I do not regret spending the money on Alpha and EDO as this game has become a close friend as it were. However... and this is a big HOWEVER... I really feel let down by the way the release was handled and how many of the real concerns of players are getting overlooked for nonsensical tweaks (I am not sure anyone actually asked for a little pop up after every system jump, informing them that their route has been cancelled, nor am I convinced that the so called heat map for biologicals is now working anywhere close to intended). There are still loads of big issues that we thought we had seen the last of in Alpha, and the constant assurance during Alpha that the actual game was going to be far superior to what we were witnessing (overall lighting and reflection mapping is actually worse). I hope it gets back on track and new mission styles are added, but I think They seriously need to mend the game, but more importantly, mend the goodwill and trust betwixt FDEV and the player community.

Objectively it's not.

Full games with many times the content cost the same or less.

That's not to say fans of Elite Dangerous don't think Odyssey (or any Elite DLC) is worth the price.

For some, just the ability to walk on planets they've only been able to drive on is well worth $40.

When Elite is your hobby, $40 is really not a lot to spend. Those playing other games can spend as much (or more) on a single Plane or Train.

That said, if I knew how "bare bones" (and buggy) Odyssey was going to be I would not have pre-ordered it.
If you could get it for less than 10$ it might be worth it for a laugh or as a novelty, but its not a playable game.

Top Bottom