Odyssey - One year after release(almost).

Actually, to go back to this image, that's the one for Odyssey, while here is the one for ED

View attachment 306861

But hold on, why has ED been getting hammered? ED hasn't changed by itself, its still the same game sans Odyssey. Games don't suddenly get worse when nothing is changing, only opinion.

So, i think both of these images tell a story.

There are those who don't like Odyssey, who blew their reviews on Odyssey in the early days, and now write negative reviews for ED, to keep sticking it to the man.

Meanwhile, those who can play Odyssey (which not everyone can, due to performance) seem to be in part enjoying it.

I've talked about this before. When i couldn't run Odyssey well, it wasn't fun. If i was the sort of person who writes reviews, i would have given it a negative review because of the performance. When i could actually play it, i actually enjoyed it, and would have given it a positive review, even if it does have a few warts.

I suspect, given another year or so, when the salty ones have run out of reviews, and as long as FD don't drop the ball again, both Odyssey and base game will revert to positive recent reviews, and maybe, eventually, in overall reviews as well for Odyssey.
To be fair, there's a bunch of bugs (which affect me) in EDH that weren't there before the EDO debacle, so one could argue that ED is 'worse' than it was a year ago.

Anyone who bought ED in the Easter sale is going to have that experience and they're theoretically the people most likely to be leaving reviews recently. Additionally, anyone who bought ED+EDO as a new player is most likely going to review the package as a whole under ED.

So, maybe? 🤷‍♂️

To be fair, there's a bunch of bugs (which affect me) in EDH that weren't there before the EDO debacle, so one could argue that ED is 'worse' than it was a year ago.

Anyone who bought ED in the Easter sale is going to have that experience and they're theoretically the people most likely to be leaving reviews recently. Additionally, anyone who bought ED+EDO as a new player is most likely going to review the package as a whole under ED.

So, maybe? 🤷‍♂️

To be fair, every time FD fix one thing they break another. :p

I see, you insist on the term "except from you now" and refuse to get what I mean with "in this form". In clear text: the form that suggests that this is a claim by many.
What I don't get is where does it or anybody suggest it's a claim by many? It was a direct response to another comment.

Ask Old Duck, he seems to have the answer and maybe he will tell you...

it's post #236. (I just found that these links can get screwed with ignored people involved)

I was basically replaying to this sentence of OD:

He even speaks of an "absurd" claim himself. Ask him yourself who he is quoting.
He's quoting from @Darrack, in post #212, IN THIS THREAD, as has been explained multiple times.
I can only assume you have them on your blocklist 🤷‍♂️

Armstrong Moment:
What we got: fade to black and magic teleporting(minus any effects).
FDevs response: Silence.
I'm not critical of many things Elite Dangerous but I thought this was lazy but you can see why its been done. They've saved months of development time but not letting you walk around your ship at this stage. All the ships have entrances/doors on them even teleporting to a small room from your ship seat and then opening the door and stepping out would have been something.

I'm sorry, but no. In my post he quotes Agony Ant. I don't have Darrack on my ignore list, but OD. I have now temporarily removed me from the block file, so that can't be the reason.
Read this post

And this post

Glad we got that cleared up.....

I'm not critical of many things Elite Dangerous but I thought this was lazy but you can see why its been done. They've saved months of development time but not letting you walk around your ship at this stage. All the ships have entrances/doors on them even teleporting to a small room from your ship seat and then opening the door and stepping out would have been something.
I had always suspected that the fade out would put you in the airlock so you could open the door and walk down the ramp. Sort of like walking to the lift in a station and when the doors open you are either in the concourse or in your hanger. At least walking down from the airlock would have been away to avoid "ship interiors" while still giving us that Armstrong moment.

Oh well, if ED is still here in 5 or 6 years, maybe we'll still get it. Hope springs eternal.

Actually, to go back to this image, that's the one for Odyssey, while here is the one for ED

View attachment 306861

But hold on, why has ED been getting hammered? ED hasn't changed by itself, its still the same game sans Odyssey. Games don't suddenly get worse when nothing is changing, only opinion.

So, i think both of these images tell a story.

There are those who don't like Odyssey, who blew their reviews on Odyssey in the early days, and now write negative reviews for ED, to keep sticking it to the man.

Meanwhile, those who can play Odyssey (which not everyone can, due to performance) seem to be in part enjoying it.

I've talked about this before. When i couldn't run Odyssey well, it wasn't fun. If i was the sort of person who writes reviews, i would have given it a negative review because of the performance. When i could actually play it, i actually enjoyed it, and would have given it a positive review, even if it does have a few warts.

I suspect, given another year or so, when the salty ones have run out of reviews, and as long as FD don't drop the ball again, both Odyssey and base game will revert to positive recent reviews, and maybe, eventually, in overall reviews as well for Odyssey.
The absolute number of negative reviews seems to be fairly stable. In contrast, there is a particularly large wave of positive reviews between November 2019 and June 2021. So i don't think that negative review come from Odyssey trolls. It's probably more that player are really impressed by the 1:1 galaxy but leave the game after few tens or hundreds of hours.

Amazes me how someone can play a game for tens or hundreds of hours then leave a negative review.
Not really... there are folk here who have accounts that are as old as, or older than, the game who have nothing good to say about ED on this forum (along with newer accounts, of course) so appear to enjoy their loathing of whatever they perceive the game to be.

(I do still chuckle when I read something along the lines of "Love the game, hate the developer", but maybe that is just me)

Amazes me how someone can play a game for tens or hundreds of hours then leave a negative review.
Sorry, that's not what i would let understand. I think it is the players who played Horizon for a few tens or hundreds of hours and then left the game that explain the particularly high rate of positive reviews between November 2019 and June 2021.
The fact is that between April 2015 and November 2019 (5 years and half), rewievs has always been very close to "mixed". It was the months of November 2016 and November 2018 that saw a burst of positive review that allowed ED to barely reach "mostly positive". Then there was the wave of positive review between november 2019 and june 2021, the slow wave dissipation up to march/april and, finaly, return to normal with the usual "mixed" very close to "mostly positive" rate. So, with the exception of the last 2 years, the game has mostly been closer to "mixed" than "mostly positive".
So no Odyssey trolls army that try to screw ED appreciation on steam.

Depends on why they are leaving the negative review. For example, when I bought ED on PS4, I absolutely loved it. But then it got worse over time with every update, to the point where I could no longer recommend it to my friends (or enemies). Just revisit the PS4 sub-forum and look at the mood change in general from launch to today, including periods lasting months with game-breaking bugs being introduced in updates.

That said, I do try to consider a game from a new player's perspective when recommending it, because most games I buy have a honeymoon period that fades as I become aware of various shortcomings and flaws. If I get my money's worth out of a game during that honeymoon phase, and I think a new player will have the same experience, I'll leave a positive review despite perhaps falling "out of love" with the game after a hundred hours.

Reviewing Elite based on hours invested is hard because it's in constant motion, so the game I went on a honeymoon with is very different than the game I have today (and not all for the better), and who knows what kind of game it will be a year from now. I can't even recommend Horizons right now, because who knows if or when Horizons will become Odyssey Lite, which will be a radically different experience in many regards. I have hundreds of hours of enjoyable memories playing Horizons, but that Horizons is not today's Horizons or tomorrow's Horizons..

Sorry, that's not what i would let understand. I think it is the players who played Horizon for a few tens or hundreds of hours and then left the game that explain the particularly high rate of positive reviews between November 2019 and June 2021.
The fact is that between April 2015 and November 2019 (5 years and half), rewievs has always been very close to "mixed". It was the months of November 2016 and November 2018 that saw a burst of positive review that allowed ED to barely reach "mostly positive". Then there was the wave of positive review between november 2019 and june 2021, the slow wave dissipation up to march/april and, finaly, return to normal with the usual "mixed" very close to "mostly positive" rate. So, with the exception of the last 2 years, the game has mostly been closer to "mixed" than "mostly positive".
So no Odyssey trolls army that try to screw ED appreciation on steam.

Still don't understand how people can play for hundreds of hours and leave a negative review though.

"Yes, i played for hundreds of hours but didn't enjoy it!"

What?

Reminds me of @Old Duck :D

Still don't understand how people can play for hundreds of hours and leave a negative review though.

What?

And if you play a game for 5 hours and leave a negative review the response is "You never gave it a chance, you should git gud".
Review 'gatekeepers' will always find a reason to discount a bad review.

Nonetheless ED is a game that has been in constant development (and redevelopment) for 8 years, so it's entirely possible that changes can be made which alter people's opinion of the game.

What?

But they just said that the game keeps changing.

Do you think it's completely impossible for someone to have played (and enjoyed) the game a lot in the past but wouldn't recommend it currently?

Top Bottom