Odyssey really need some serious change to make the game more popular

I've been saying for years, they need to let you queue for CQC/Arena from any safe place in the main game. The ability for passengers to use the FSS to scan for USS or new "anti interdiction turrets" to help defend against pirates/police would also give players something to do locally.
Yeah, I saw that they have Matchmaking for CQC available in the Comms panel, but don't know if they let you queue and keep playing.

That would be a huge plus in terms of getting people to USE CQC ;)

I like the Anti-Interdiction turret idea. A good reason to use crews in Open.

And of course the exploration ideas should have been implemented from the start...

It's only a grind if you make it one. If you mix up what you are doing, you wont be grinding.
This doesn't make sense. I could take a delivery mission, a cz, a bounty hunting mission or anything and if all of em are far away, it is still a grind because half the time I'm not gonna be engaging with the game but just sit and stare in supercruise.

I've been saying for years, they need to let you queue for CQC/Arena from any safe place in the main game. The ability for passengers to use the FSS to scan for USS or new "anti interdiction turrets" to help defend against pirates/police would also give players something to do locally.
CQC is also dead for years, and i think real time in game queues haven't change anything, or almost anything. It need overhaul, some better rewards, to make it fresh and worth your time.

It look more like a workaround than a real solution, and currently there is no easy way to select mission at the same place easily, the time you spent looking at all mission to filter them is also lost, and not really something that look fun to do each time. Best would be a system map showing the location of every mission available, but I'm not sure it's planned.
This is just a difference of opinion. I love planning trips for missions. It never gets old to me because I'm doing them in different systems most of the time, and I can double that task with learning about the local planet/moon types to satisfy my exploration urges at the same time. In the base game, you can look at the system maps to see where missions take you before you accept the missions. I suppose there could be improvement there to save a little time mission planning, but IMO it's not that long already. Even without being able to see missions in the system map in the Odyssey alpha, planning 4-5 missions only takes me like a minute or two at most. Shorter after I learn the names and locations of the settlements.
Well I have Elite since the beginning and the subject about SC being slow is coming back every time. Hard to think there is no issue there.
Terrible argument, sorry. The developers are never going to please everyone. SC times are preference. It's not objectively bad game design. In fact I'd argue that it's one of the most brilliant designs for faster-than-light travel in video games I've ever seen.
Ah I see, don't know much about Frontline, we will have to see how Fdev manage that :)
Absolutely. We're all reserving our feedback on combat flow for that phase. Could be good, could be bad.
I would not be so sure, the decision is done by Fdev, in the end they need to choose if they want to attract more players, or just keep their hard core players and get along with all the bad reviews on Steam. I'm not sure but from my understanding Odyssey was done to attract a different kind of players, they will not have a ship if they don't have horizon, and looking by the trailers they are clearly not selling a space taxi game.
Anyway we can't predict what fdev will do (they may don't even know themselves), it's a big studio, they don't have the same flexibility to change stuff and they may be afraid to change something, It's going to be interesting when Odyssey release.

download (7).png

We'll see, but I doubt things about SC will fundamentally change

The tiny handful of players joining Elite just to do FPS will very quickly discover Combat Zones which will feature dropships with fast local respawns, essentially negating the travel time issues. And everyone will have the default free sidewinder to do basic missions, negating extended loss-of-autonomy in shuttle rides. The only reason I see people using the taxi system in practice will be for rescue pickups if your ship gets destroyed while you're egressed or if you respawn in a station that doesn't have an owned ship. The shuttle is not a default. It's a budget rate backup mode, and it performs exactly like taking public transit.

While I essentially agree, it makes me wonder why they bothered with Apex then.

This doesn't make sense. I could take a delivery mission, a cz, a bounty hunting mission or anything and if all of em are far away, it is still a grind because half the time I'm not gonna be engaging with the game but just sit and stare in supercruise.
Most of them aren't that "far away", only those extraordinary good paying jobs usually are. And reason they pay premium is remoteness.

Well if they can make the transfer process interesting for 5-10 minutes (depending on distance) then I could see myself enjoying a game like that on its own... assuming there is lots more to do, of course.

What makes the ship version of Elite interesting is the prospect of (to use the oft coined phrase) "blaze your own trail" - that is, they provide the tools, but you decide what you're going to be. The hope, I assume, is to make that same experience possible on foot, without ever owning a ship. We've only seen some of the possible missions and content, after all.

I read a good point from someone earlier. It may be for emergency situations as well where your ship explodes while you're still alive on the ground, and you need an emergency lift to get off a planet
It’s a requirement for physical multicrew. If you get separated from your ship, you need a way back to it.

Since Apex will be optional after Thursday, I don’t see an issue. There are times when you need to walk away from the computer, and you can use Apex to allow yourself to do so safely while getting a trip out of the way.

Perhaps, if they want to implement that the starter level is without a sidewinder. Just suffer through a couple of apex trips for some missions and you're good to buy your first ship.

I read a good point from someone earlier. It may be for emergency situations as well where your ship explodes while you're still alive on the ground, and you need an emergency lift to get off a planet
Will it work out in deep space? That's what I wonder. I'm kind'a all far out there in with my commander, so when it goes live, I'm calling an Apex. Oh, can we use the Apex to/from Colonia? Just get the cab, leave the computer on for a day or two. Hmm....

Will it work out in deep space? That's what I wonder. I'm kind'a all far out there in with my commander, so when it goes live, I'm calling an Apex. Oh, can we use the Apex to/from Colonia? Just get the cab, leave the computer on for a day or two. Hmm....
Nah, there's a max distance for hyper jumps. Not said what it is, but they said there was one. Pretty sure it's bubble only stuff. (that'll include the colonia bubble I expect, but not transport between)

Well more fine tuned jumping like capability of selecting other stars in system as your initial arrival point would be nice. Though I don't really know how hard that trick is to pull technically nowadays. (I mean would jump system need some pretty major revision?)
This wouldnt be hard at all, fleet carriers can already do this, to ANY body in ANY system as long as you have the cartography data already. If they really wanted to they could hand wave away for a middle ground, FSD lock to stars in system, you could even limit this to only systems with clean nav beacons and not systems that sell rares, by doing this the game has streamlined travel inside the bubble without losing its sense of scale. If you need to travel a huge range of LS, you aren't gonna stop mid way through for a random signal source when you already have things to do, just like if you are looking for signal sources you have to SC around the system, it's a simple compromise but masochists will tell you otherwise. Hell you could even disable it for ships that are carrying cargo or passengers, the point is there IS a compromise here between the two crowds, it doesn't have to be one way or the other.

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw that they have Matchmaking for CQC available in the Comms panel, but don't know if they let you queue and keep playing.

That would be a huge plus in terms of getting people to USE CQC ;)

I like the Anti-Interdiction turret idea. A good reason to use crews in Open.

And of course the exploration ideas should have been implemented from the start...

Wow, that's awesome! How did I miss this??
It says "no ships available" when I'm in a station port. However I was able to queue from the Apex Shuttle Comms menu.
YSrTfBK.jpg

4qHzhiX.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom