Odyssey really need some serious change to make the game more popular

I've been saying for years, they need to let you queue for CQC/Arena from any safe place in the main game. The ability for passengers to use the FSS to scan for USS or new "anti interdiction turrets" to help defend against pirates/police would also give players something to do locally.
FSS scanning while moving at speed is not a thing for a good reason, sometimes I have seen the FSS scanner bugged and working a little bit at slightly higher speeds while close to a star and it is a nightmare, with bodies moving while you are trying to zoom in on them to do the scan. That's why FSS scanning is only done at supercruise set to zero.
Also, during interdictions where they try to get you out of supercruise there are no turret activities (did you mean after dropping from supercruise?). I'd much rather the Apex pilots are just highly trained in the art of evading the interdictions and break the lock, that and we get more things to do for strategic planning and preparation for the actual mission. Destination site overview to familiarise with, more clear and sensible access to grenade/power cell/medkit management prior to disembark, etc., and maybe a minigame on board where you can try to slightly tweak your weapons and suit/shield for the type of mission you are currently heading to.

It look more like a workaround than a real solution, and currently there is no easy way to select mission at the same place easily, the time you spent looking at all mission to filter them is also lost, and not really something that look fun to do each time. Best would be a system map showing the location of every mission available, but I'm not sure it's planned.
Have you seen this post?

Does it work?

You can queue from the shuttle just fine, however, no matches popped up. Probably because no one knows that you can queue for CQC through the Comms menu now. Or maybe it's not fully enabled?

EDIT: we should send out a PSA. ;)

As far as I know, yes it does work. I saw people setting up DM's and TDM matches a few days ago on the CQC discord.

Have you seen this post?

Oh wow, thank you o7

Oh, yeah.

I was kinda saying that guns cost more than some ships. :)

That's true. Haven't thought about that. So a little bit of balancing is in order, I guess?
Maybe after Odyssey goes live all ships will have a price hike by around 20-40x, it would make much more sense that a space-going craft couldn't be bought with the loose change we carry to throw in the hats of station buskers...

Maybe after Odyssey goes live all ships will have a price hike by around 20-40x, it would make much more sense that a space-going craft couldn't be bought with the loose change we carry to throw in the hats of station buskers...
Yeah that would make sense, kind of cheap anyway with all the credit you can make now in the game.

The thing is: Traveling in Elite is not fun for most players, and I think game mainly feel grindy because of this.
Don't tell me about piloting, realism and immersion, traveling is simply about pointing in a direction and wait (Apex being even worst as it's just waiting). Did someone complained about station interior lifts being too fast? No.
I have more fun driving a truck in Euro truck simulator as you can actively drive and enjoy scenery. In elite, travel time is a chore, most players end-up alt-tabbing the game or looking at Youtube while playing (and it should happen even more with Apex!), it's immersion breaking and probably not something most player are interested to do while playing a game.

This is what Elite is, though. You either buy into that or you don't -- it's the core, fundamental design of the game to have the gameplay be dominated by supercruise, and to have that be slow to give a sense of scale. That is the core experience that the game is trying to deliver -- galactic scale. You cannot remove that and have Elite remain itself. It's like asking EVE to get rid of its brutal PvP loss mechanic, or WoW to get rid of gear-based advancement or what have you -- there are core things that each game is built around, and in Elite one of the most core, fundamental elements is providing a sense of scale. If you make that opt-out, you've allowed people to opt out of the core design of the game, which everyone will do in order to save time -- anything that gives a player an advantage is paramount in a competitive game, after all, which is why the tired "you can always do it the inefficient way" argument always fails --- games are competitive, and if there is a faster way, players will almost all feel compelled to do it that way, and everyone knows this, so that way, in effect, becomes the game for basically everyone.

I actually sympathize with the substance of the complaint, in some ways. I have spent much less time in Elite than I have in EVE, for example, even adjusting for the vastly different amounts of time each game has been released (i.e., looking at it as a percentage of time since release), because I find Elite's supercruise to be very slow personally. It has made me play Elite much less. But that's immaterial as to how the game should be designed. The way it works excellently conveys the sense of scale, so it works very well for what it is trying to deliver as its core experience. I think it's simply the case that certain kinds of games will appeal more to certain kinds of players and preferences, and that's all a good thing. "Streamlining" Elite would be killing Elite, really -- it would make no sense, because, again, that sense of scale, which is largely provided by Supercruise (EVE also has the jumps between systems and can have long trips between systems, but it isn't that PLUS supercruise once you are in system, which is what Elite has). You can't alter that without basically destroying the core "experience" that the entire design is built around.

We need the possibility to hire a crew, then the helms person can pilot the ship to you destination and you only take control when fuel scooping or gets interdicted. It’s not the time I’m good with that, it’s the constant micro management of star jumping I’m tired off.

So far summary of the topic:

1st camp “ it’s fine how it is”.... most likely retired older people or employ less. Spending thousands of hours by playing this game to filling they time that they can’t invest in any other activity like work/family/ friends etc etc.

2nd camp “ it is way too long”.... most likely people with very busy life’s ... like jobs / family/children/ friends/hobbies etc etc .... that trying really hard to combine all this things together and still try to get play 1-2 hours of day .... if not a week because they also like the game.... but don’t have so much time as “ it’s fine how it is camp” due to other priorities in the life.

So who is right here about issue? None of them and all of them..... and FD seems to be failing really hard almost with everything trying to find midway for both camps that at least will start thinking:

“ ok... that is not bad, I can life with that”

1st camp “ it’s fine how it is”.... most likely retired older people or employ less. Spending thousands of hours by playing this game to filling they time that they can’t invest in any other activity like work/family/ friends etc etc.

2nd camp “ it is way too long”.... most likely people with very busy life’s ... like jobs / family/children/ friends/hobbies etc etc .... that trying really hard to combine all this things together and still try to get play 1-2 hours of day .... if not a week because they also like the game.... but don’t have so much time as “ it’s fine how it is camp” due to other priorities in the life.

So who is right here about issue? None of them and all of them..... and FD seems to be failing really hard almost with everything trying to find midway for both camps that at least will start thinking:

How can you possibly know, are you sitting in both camps?

Elite is a long-term game. If you seek adrenaline pumped in your veins through whole gameplay, the game isn't obviously for you. Simple as. If you make everything faster, more exciting and less grind oriented - the players who seek this constant adrenaline rush will leave anyway looking for another stimulant - and people like me, who like to spend a lot of time in space (watching Netflix or reading something) will leave too, because you will kill the very reason WE like this game.

Elita was always about long flights. In Frontier: Elite II there was no supercruise - but a stardreamer which worked very similiar though. Please, do not force revolution in gameplay or lore, because this surely will kill the game.

And replacing supercruise wouldn't change that in any way....
If you find the gameplay boring, removing the travel 'between the interesting bits' won't change anything for you - it'll just stop the interesting bits being so interesting!
I should of clarified his 'review' was "it takes too long to get anywhere'. He's not a man of many words, but that was it, he quit and has not played since.

Before we jump to any conclusions, how about we see what this looks like when we can pilot our own ships to these mission objectives in different systems. What's lacking right now is context. When we have some, things may look different.

And dont forget, stating the problem is easy. Suggesting a solution that doesn't cause more problems than it solves is the hard part.

And replacing supercruise wouldn't change that in any way....
If you find the gameplay boring, removing the travel 'between the interesting bits' won't change anything for you - it'll just stop the interesting bits being so interesting!
Are you implying that all gameplay loops of ED are as low skill / low involvement and boring as SC flying ?

I'm confused.

Because I find all other aspects of ED vastly more skillful and involved (as in, not allowing to play an other game while "SC : space is big(tm)" happens).

I play ED for the core mining, SRV acrobatics, wing assassination and canyon racing, not for watching paint dry spacedust.

I wouldn't be averse to microjumps (that maybe could be interdicted) in system at the risk of missing interesting finds in the depths of space, with maybe a more skill based supercruise gameplay (I can't watch Netflix in VR).
Going to Hutton I actually took my headset off and made myself a coffee.
Sitting doing nothing for 45 minutes didn't feel like an achievement to me - couldn't even put the mug on your dashboard or waste the storage space keeping a ton of them for prosperity.

Are you implying that all gameplay loops of ED are as low skill / low involvement and boring as SC flying ?

I'm confused.

Because I find all other aspects of ED vastly more skillful and involved (as in, not allowing to play an other game while "SC : space is big(tm)" happens).

I play ED for the core mining, SRV acrobatics, wing assassination and canyon racing, not for watching paint dry spacedust.
Supercruise isn't low skill or boring! Avoiding gravity wells and optimising flight paths isn't low skill, running blockades isn't boring, having 4 or 5 Elite NPC's attempting to interdict you repeatedly isn't low involvement - I'm not sure what you mean when you say "as low skill / low involvement and boring as SC".

Isn't part of the fun of mining looking for the perfect ring?
Isn't part of the fun of SRV acrobatics finding a new spot nobody else has found and having loads of people turn up to try it out?
Isn't part of the fun of assassinations the anticipation of not knowing quite what you find when you get there?
Isn't part of the fun of canyon racing coming over the horizon and seeing an unexplored canyon open out in front you?

I know, for me at least (I won't claim to speak for anyone else - everyone is perfectly capable of agreeing or disagreeing for themselves), part of what makes the battle/race/POI/geography/[insert activity here] so exciting is the anticipation and not knowing quite what I will find when I get there!

And just for the record I quite like sitting in Supercruise, watching the planets, stars and nebulae go by, from time to time.

Top Bottom