Odyssey really need some serious change to make the game more popular

This is what Elite is, though. You either buy into that or you don't -- it's the core, fundamental design of the game to have the gameplay be dominated by supercruise, and to have that be slow to give a sense of scale. That is the core experience that the game is trying to deliver -- galactic scale.

That's just like, you're opinion, man.

The core design of the game doesn't require HUGE super cruise journeys to work at all.
I've played a LOT of this game, and I can tell you, I have never travelled 100,000Ls across a system (well, since I tried it before), because there's nothing to do during that time. And I've enjoyed the game just fine, and played massive amounts of the content in the game.

If signal sources could be dropped into, and jumped out of without really losing much of your speed (drop out at high speed, get back up to the speed you were at in a second or two after coming out of one) then they could be things to do during the travel. Allowing the use of the FSS with throttle up would also help here.

Have you seen this post?
Yeah it help, but it would be better to have this in game instead of alt-tabbing.
Also it's only the alpha 1 system, in two days it would be less useful probably.
In fact I'd argue that it's one of the most brilliant designs for faster-than-light travel in video games I've ever seen.
It's not new, I-war did that many years ago:
Source: https://youtu.be/ZFopMaG-2OU?t=29
Fantastic game by the way, and more realistic than Elite (for example there was not such thing as "top speed" :sneaky:)
Not saying I care about realism however, just an example to show that Elite also think about gameplay.

By the way, if I'm not wrong with math, on this video the ship is traveling 7000ls in less than 30s.
I think it could be even faster because the guy missed the lagrange point.
It's a good example of what would be a good super cruise, It would be much more dynamic to have an LDS over FSD in Elite :LOL:

Last edited:
Fantastic game by the way, and more realistic than Elite (for example there was not such thing as "top speed" :sneaky:)

By the way, if I'm not wrong with math, on this video the ship is traveling 7000ls in less than 30s.
It's a good example of what would be a good super cruise, It would be much more dynamic to have an LDS over FSD in Elite :LOL:
Top speed only applies to regular flight. I'd agree that's unrealistic, but we're talking about supercruise, which has no technical top speed. You acceleration and deceleration are also fluid depending on how close or far you are from large masses. In that regard, Elite is more realistic, as this is based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive
The video you sent looks more convenient, but not nearly as realistic for faster-than-light travel

Top speed only applies to regular flight. I'd agree that's unrealistic, but we're talking about supercruise, which has no technical top speed. You acceleration and deceleration are also fluid depending on how close or far you are from large masses. In that regard, Elite is more realistic, as this is based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive
The video you sent looks more convenient, but not nearly as realistic for faster-than-light travel
Debating about the realism of an hypothetical FTL drive, what the point? Elite is a game not a simulator.

Debating about the realism of an hypothetical FTL drive, what the point? Elite is a game not a simulator.
But it is a simulator to some degree. They spent a lot of resources creating a 1:1 scale galaxy and a method of travel based in real physics. That's the foundation for the whole game. That's part of the selling point. It's not going to be for everyone, and it shouldn't be. The sci-fi genre always grabs on to real theories in science and tries to create a future where these theories can be used with technology we don't currently have. That's not to be confused with pure fiction where the technology isn't based on anything other than convenience, which is what you're suggesting. You can't speed up the supercruise times without seriously changing the science they're basing it on. An Alcubierre drive is a method of bending space around you to travel, so being close to objects that bend space way more than you is going to have measurable effects on your speed. If you want to change that, you need to come up with a different theory for travel entirely

Last edited:
I've played a LOT of this game, and I can tell you, I have never travelled 100,000Ls across a system (well, since I tried it before), because there's nothing to do during that time. And I've enjoyed the game just fine, and played massive amounts of the content in the game.

Tbh, at the beginning of the Elite when I still smoked cigarettes, it were a nice extra feature to go smoke from half opened door while watching on amazing space (flight) and even more grandeur music with it.

Especially during dark... Guess immersion or something.

Supercruise is capped at 1590C or thereabouts.

I can agree with some of your points. As a parent and a full time worker, I can play games maybe 4 hours a week. With that in mind, I understand Elite is a flight simulator first, so anything that takes away from flight times is taking away from the gameplay the developers intended for the game. I have learned to adapt my gameplay. So I have no attention of using Apex, or going exploring. I tend to do missions in a small bubble. Plus I'm very selective of what missions I can do, and I would only take one or two at a time. In addition, I find flying in open space relaxing. For me it's about the journey not the destination.

I’ve had too many real life friends say exactly this. At first I was like...naah man that’s realistic.
Now I’m like .... ya know I don’t have 4 hours today so I’ll just play another time.
4 months later my fleet carrier is still in the bubble ROFL

after unlocking the ships and many guardian tech and engineering I realized I don’t find the length of time required to be enjoyable.
All I’m saying is if there is much more we haven’t found...HELP ME FDevs lol

Supercruise is capped at 1590C or thereabouts.
Ah, didn't know that. But I imagine you get to that kind of speed long after your acceleration slows to a crawl. That makes more sense actually, I was probably wrong for saying that no top speed was realistic. But they way we arrive at it is realistic

Ah, didn't know that. But I imagine you get to that kind of speed long after your acceleration slows to a crawl. That makes more sense actually, I was probably wrong for saying that no top speed was realistic. But they way we arrive at it is realistic

Top speed used to be 2500c I think at one point, maybe even 5000c earlier, because I supercruised from another star to next one that way once.
Did not even take that long back then, at very early days of the game (think it were original Alpha or Beta and I flew to Sol in SC).

No, 2001c

The 1590c probably comes from someone doing the Hutton Run, but you start decelerating before you can reach top speed there, I believe.

Oh yeah, think I remember now, it used to be 2500c at some (beta?) state where we could fly that 4 AU distance to the Sol from nearest star.

Something in that number rings my bells,

Yeah it help, but it would be better to have this in game instead of alt-tabbing.
Also it's only the alpha 1 system, in two days it would be less useful probably.

It's not new, I-war did that many years ago:
Source: https://youtu.be/ZFopMaG-2OU?t=29
Not saying I care about realism however, just an example to show that Elite also think about gameplay.

I-war2 is a hidden gem. That game had limited point to point intra system jumps, an fsd that had great acceleration yet retained scale.

Punching that LDS (fsd) was quite something. Like hitting pedal to the metal in a muscle car.

But the best idea was buckler style directional energy shields paired with a slow hull regen and dedicated ramming shields.

The Tug ship inertia in Newtonian physics was a masterpiece in spacesim.

Last edited:
I-war2 is a hidden gem. That game had limited point to point intra system jumps, an fsd that had great acceleration yet retained scale.

Punching that LDS (fsd) was quite something. Like hitting pedal to the metal in a muscle car.

But the best idea was buckler style directional energy shields paired with a slow hull regen and dedicated ramming shields.

The Tug ship inertia in Newtonian physics was a masterpiece in spacesim.
Played i-war 1 and 2, both was great game at the time, and yeah LDS was something... You could feel that you was going really fast and you can even crash on a planet if you don't pay attention. Elite FSD look like a downgraded LDS for rookies :LOL:

It takes longer than a few minutes in most popular sci-fi franchises to travel around a star system.
Star Wars: even their warps take a while
Star Trek: literal weeks or months

Yes, but being as it is entertainment, they don't have entire series worth of just looking out the window at space dust.
Stuff happens, or, they skip to the interesting part.

Top Bottom