Odyssey really need some serious change to make the game more popular

We've been told that ship travel times/speeds are not going to be changed for anything being added in Odyssey.

This seems to be a discussion for the general Forum, not the Alpha.

As it's relating to Alpha, it's essential for us to put it on the radar though.

There doesn't necessarily need to be travel time reductions.... Such as solutions raised on youtube from by Obsidian Ant:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=591EeG_LPYk&t=410s

And CMDR Exigeous
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHf4HWN6TiY

There doesn't necessarily need to be travel time reductions.... Such as solutions raised on youtube from by Obsidian Ant:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=591EeG_LPYk&t=410s

And CMDR Exigeous
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHf4HWN6TiY
Awesome excuse to bring up each and every aspect of Elite gameplay, as the Alpha is going to touch on all aspects of EDH by the time we finish all 4 phases.

I agree.

If there was actual gameplay during the travel, that would solve it. Apex has just highlighted the long standing design problem here. Extended periods of no gameplay in a game.

(I'm actually amazed at one of the comments from Frontier about this - paraphrased but, something like- We hope that having more loadout and customisation options will help with this - What? You think being able to change my suit, for a moment or two, is gameplay enough for these taxi rides? real eye opener that)

I agree.

If there was actual gameplay during the travel, that would solve it. Apex has just highlighted the long standing design problem here. Extended periods of no gameplay in a game.

(I'm actually amazed at one of the comments from Frontier about this - paraphrased but, something like- We hope that having more loadout and customisation options will help with this - What? You think being able to change my suit, for a moment or two, is gameplay enough for these taxi rides? real eye opener that)
Lol, it baffles the mind

This firmly points out 2 things;

This is not an Odyssey Alpha issue.

The best you are going to get whinging about it is some cosmetics.

This topic seems best in the main Forum under Suggestions for Elite.

Last edited:
This firmly points out 2 things;

This is not an Odyssey Alpha issue.

The best you are going to get whinging about it is some cosmetics.

This topic seems best in the make Forum under Suggestions for Elite.

That's incorrect. It is an Odyssey issue - hence so many people saying the same thing in contrast to your comments to shut down the conversation in that regard.

You're missing the point but if you take a look at the videos I shared, you'll see specifically how this mechanic/issue from before, doesn't work for Odyssey. We're providing feedback so improvements can be made :).

Hope that clears things up for you sir. Fly (and walk) safe

If signal sources could be dropped into, and jumped out of without really losing much of your speed (drop out at high speed, get back up to the speed you were at in a second or two after coming out of one) then they could be things to do during the travel. Allowing the use of the FSS with throttle up would also help here.
That's a great idea

It's definitely an alpha issue, because Apex taxis are being tested in the Alpha, Frontier even highlighted this as one of the main issues they are hoping to look into, and, asked for suggestions from us on how to make it better.
Taxis are being tested in Alpha, however it's been indicated that ship speeds are not being looked at as part of Odyssey. In fact the response was, 'boredom in taxi noted, have some cosmetics, we're not changing ship speeds'.
That's incorrect. It is an Odyssey issue - hence so many people saying the same thing in contrast to your comments to shut down the conversation in that regard.

You're missing the point but if you take a look at the videos I shared, you'll see specifically how this mechanic/issue from before, doesn't work for Odyssey. We're providing feedback so improvements can be made :).

Hope that clears things up for you sir. Fly (and walk) safe
You sure cleared up your position, and underlined mine, bolded in your quote. People that already had a problem with travel times have more problem with it when they aren't in control of the ships. That feedback has been noted, as one of the very few issues that have been officially responded to. Shuttle travel time is not getting any faster, and all we're getting is toys to help with the boredom.

Thanks Grey Weasel,
Sorry if I've made my position unclear. I think only the Odyssey travel times are an issue but the solution could be simply, to not fail missions on death and respawn at the ship if you die in an on foot mission.

That would resolve the wasted travel times to a large degree. There would still be the initial travel of course and speeds wouldn't change and it'd save a lot of wasted time for people starting out on ground. Most specifically, the new wave of on foot FPS players who Frontier have said they want to attract. Everyone wins :)

I'm honestly not fussed about travel times in the main game at all. I've played for 6000 hours since beta 2014 and have never complained about it :).

Last edited:
If signal sources could be dropped into, and jumped out of without really losing much of your speed (drop out at high speed, get back up to the speed you were at in a second or two after coming out of one) then they could be things to do during the travel. Allowing the use of the FSS with throttle up would also help here.

That's a great idea

This is how game actually now works with some orbital stations and outposts, especially orbiting high gravity well objects, you can approach them at maximum speed and then at last moment hit auto cruise-pilot on, and it will exit out of SC to station / outpost like it hit a wall.

So why not.

Yes, but being as it is entertainment, they don't have entire series worth of just looking out the window at space dust.
Stuff happens, or, they skip to the interesting part.
You cannot compare a movie or TV show, where the entertainment is in the acting, to a game, where the entertainment is living out some kind of fantasy. Being in the sci-fi genre/space sim category, one of the core selling points of the game is the method of space travel they chose. Which seems long since you're actually playing it, but turns out to be faster in the math than most other travel solutions in sci-fi

Like on a train journey when I play my Switch! The journey feels genuinely long, and conveys the sense of scale of the country.

Odyssey is the perfect game to play when you want to play other gam
The only game I know of where you travel faster in Light Years than you do in Light Seconds...

10 Light Years = 10 seconds, 50k Light Seconds = 5 minutes

Here's what I personally think:

Travel times in hyperspace are quite OK, especially for those who are not leaving the bubble very often.

Worse case is about supercruise, travel times here can be rally long (and the worse thing is that there is not much to do during these flights), but i think there is quite easy way to change it - not to much of course, to keep the feeling of distances.

FSD seems to be quite old technology - 10 years on the market now, and maybe Sirius Corp is already just working on FSD 2.0 in whitch acceleration and deceleration are better along with lower gravitational influence from celestial bodies to fsd effectiveness and maybe higher top speed in supercruise(all 4 solutions together or just some of them). This, done properly, wont affect short travels that much but can be great solution for long distances.

Probably this doesnt require any major changes in game mechanics or hours of development - just to change some numbers in
some algorithms.

This can be nicely fitted into LORE, because one of the attendants of the gallactic summit, hosted by Sirius, was Aegis delegation, and they as we all know, are responsible for counter-thargoid science.
How I see it, is that "Sirius FSD Development team" is anouncing new "FSD possibilities" after establishing new research contact (related to Aegis) during the Gallactic Summit.

Maby the case is, just to organize some CGs to deliver goods or wake scans for further development of new FSD??? After few rounds of different CGs(probably the fastest ever completed;), there may be possibility to upgrade software and hardware of FSD in any outfitting or shipyard facility.

If this kind of changes somehow will break the game in any way, this can be simply turned back to previous state, and again can be fitted to narrative part of game - Sirius anouncing stepping back to previous FSD version because of safety issues.

What you all think about it?

Greets

FSD seems to be quite old technology - 10 years on the market now, and maybe Sirius Corp is already just working on FSD 2.0 in whitch acceleration and deceleration are better along with lower gravitational influence from celestial bodies to fsd effectiveness and maybe higher top speed in supercruise(all 4 solutions together or just some of them). This, done properly, wont affect short travels that much but can be great solution for long distances.
The current FSDs are Gen3, faster than Gen 2 but can only lock on to the main star. Gen 2 was slower but could lock on to any planet you discovered/mapped. That's what the Carriers are using. You have no idea how many times I was thinking about ripping a carrier drive off and welding it to my ship, just to be able to skip long SC travels.

As OP pointed out, they are immersion breaking as many resort to watch youtube or netflix to stay entertained while engaging in an entertainment product.
I know the immersion crowd and BGS people want it to stay as it is, some people will put up with it, but will complain about it.
I'm not for an instant travel, but automating certain features wouldn't go astray. If you've been to a place, you could get your autopilot to take you there, as long as it didn't require manual input. Fuel scooping is not that hazardous and any autopilot would be able to do it.
No Neutron highways either.
Example: You go from the bubble to Colonia via neutron highway, which is risky. The Autopilot will not take such risks. No Autopilot course is available.
However you do the regular 60-75Ly jumps via the KGBFOAM route, easy refill, safe to travel. Now the Autopilot can take you there via the same route. Sure it would take a few hours, but that would be the place fore the game where you can log off and let the Autopilot take you there. You've already shown the way once. Not hard to follow an established path.

Not actually a topic about Odyssey.

This is all stuff about Elite in general, with a bunch of people wanting it done now 'cos new DLC.

It's not happening in Odyssey, and it's definitely not being tested in the Odyssey Alpha.

Perhaps this should be moved to the general Suggestions area?

Top Bottom