Odyssey sales potential on console

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The record breaking sales potential of the new generation of consoles proves that there is a potentially lucrative market for Odyssey.

References:

In addition, in the UK Sales charts, half of the top 10 are console-only games. This proves that although the console playerbase only accounts for 1/3 of the current Elite playerbase, the actual sales potential - and with it, the size of a console CMDR community - is far greater on console than it is on PC.

Reference:

Frontier have previously stated that they have no plans to bring Odyssey to the new generation of consoles, however, so it appears that their business plan for Odyssey directly contradicts those facts.
Reference:

They have also recently been asked for more information on when or if the console development for Odyssey will resume, and have answered with very little in the way of tangible information., which suggests they have no real plan solidified for console almost one year from the original console launch date of Odyssey.
Reference:

Do you think Frontier have changed their development plans for console since the indefinite delay was announced?
Do you think Odyssey will ever make it console?
Do you think Odyssey will really release as a last-gen only title in 2022?

Do you think Frontier have changed their development plans for console since the indefinite delay was announced?
I think the whole topic is getting pretty hot and dangerous for Frontier and the moderators. The matter is in the knife's sheath and the final decision on the subject will certainly come pretty soon. I expect the facts for Oddysee for consoles and plans for the future by the beginning of November at the latest. Hope this is at least true ... In the meantime, I will continue to eat my cookies. (they are all mine ;P)

2nd edit: Removed my own post because I remembered there's people who get paid More than $50000 a year to answer these kind questions. I Don't get paid at all for answering it. So yeah removed the answer I gave.
Hopefully you have a good day.

Last edited:
I think the whole topic is getting pretty hot and dangerous for Frontier and the moderators. The matter is in the knife's sheath and the final decision on the subject will certainly come pretty soon. I expect the facts for Oddysee for consoles and plans for the future by the beginning of November at the latest. Hope this is at least true ... In the meantime, I will continue to eat my cookies. (they are all mine ;P)

Don't hold your breath. Based on the lack of any information at all, not even a beta date announcement (we had betas on console at one point) suggests they really have no idea what they're going to do with the console game.

And that means any sign of a release is way off into the distance. Q3 2022 at least is my wild guess.

How do I do think they were expecting a warmer reaction to all these updates than there getting, so in turn they just keep churning new additions out as well as attempting to firefight the bugs in an attempt to win people back. I do think that they're underestimating the console base and potential for sales. Until there is a change in tack they won't realise this, I think the loss of current player base isn't an issue because a new game will mean new players and they'll be basing the response to Odyssey on console to this rather than the reception of what's left of the current console base.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I managed to try Odyssey on my PC this week and played the tutorial and docked at a few stations and settlements.

It played fine to be honest. My PC while not a slouch is not top end.

i7-11700k and an RTX 3070. This is probably a bit more powerful than my PS5 but, not a million miles away. PS5 is probably somewhere between a 2080 and a 2080 Super GPU wise although the PC would almost certainly have the CPU advantage. But GPU wise when no ray tracing is involved which with EDO it isn't it should be fine.

The graphics on Odyssey pleasantly surprised me. It looked very nice at 1440p after I turned off FSR which I am not really a fan of. I didn't do a lot of tinkering but, tried native, CAS and FSR. CAS seemed to give me the best image quality with decent performance. FSR gave horrendous artifacts, especially in motion to me.

For much of the time the frame rate 70 to 100fps. It dropped to mid 50s at the worst points. Space was a locked 144 of my monitor. Station interiors 65-80fps. It was only brief testing and I didn't get to try a CZ unfortunately. It also played great on a DualSense. Maybe it's designed for controllers after all? 😜

I didn't get chance to rebind mouse and keyboard which I am sure would be better for shooting but, I had no issues wiping out the guys in the tutorial in seconds without ever playing Odyssey before on a pad.

I am hopeful the SX and PS5 could hit 30fps solid at 4K with some work and I can see 1080p on the last generation consoles at 30fps not the realm of dreams.

So actually yes, I think it will make it to console probably in 2022.

Edit: PC settings at Ultra @ 1440p and yeh the anti-aliasing does still need work.

Last edited:
I managed to try Odyssey on my PC this week and played the tutorial and docked at a few stations and settlements.

i7-11700k and an RTX 3070. This is probably a bit more powerful than my PS5 but, not a million miles away. PS5 is probably somewhere between a 2080 and a 2080 Super GPU wise although the PC would almost certainly have the CPU advantage. But GPU wise when no ray tracing is involved which with EDO it isn't it should be fine.

The graphics on Odyssey pleasantly surprised me. It looked very nice at 1440p after I turned off FSR which I am not really a fan of. I didn't do a lot of tinkering but, tried native, CAS and FSR. CAS seemed to give me the best image quality with decent performance. FSR gave horrendous artifacts, especially in motion to me.

For much of the time the frame rate 70 to 100fps. It dropped to mid 50s at the worst points. Space was a locked 144 of my monitor. Station interiors 65-80fps. It was only brief testing and I didn't get to try a CZ unfortunately. It also played great on a DualSense. Maybe it's designed for controllers after all? 😜

I didn't get chance to rebind mouse and keyboard which I am sure would be better for shooting but, I had no issues wiping out the guys in the tutorial in seconds without ever playing Odyssey before on a pad.

I am hopeful the SX and PS5 could hit 30fps solid at 4K with some work and I can see 1080p on the last generation consoles at 30fps not the realm of dreams.

So actually yes, I think it will make it to console probably in 2022.

Those AMD aliasing technologies are applicable to console as well, I think. So maybe some of this is actually developed with one eye on a later (much later) console release. Whatever that will look like.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Those AMD aliasing technologies are applicable to console as well, I think. So maybe some of this is actually developed with one eye on a later (much later) console release. Whatever that will look like.
I honestly hope they don't force FSR on us, I didn't find it pleasant at all and I tried all the different quality modes. That would be my only worry.

7-11700k and an RTX 3070. This is probably a bit more powerful than my PS5 but, not a million miles away. PS5 is probably somewhere between a 2080 and a 2080 Super GPU wise although the PC would almost certainly have the CPU advantage. But GPU wise when no ray tracing is involved which with EDO it isn't it should be fine.
Note: This is an Xbox thread and not a Playstation. Therefore I find this comparison pretty misplaced here. If you have an Xbox Series X then I'd love to see a nice comparison.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Note: This is an Xbox thread and not a Playstation. Therefore I find this comparison pretty misplaced here. If you have an Xbox Series X then I'd love to see a nice comparison.
The Series X is slightly more powerful than the PS5 so I think it will play great on a SX.

Although we'd all want a current generation native version to unlock the full potential of the new consoles.

I honestly hope they don't force FSR on us, I didn't find it pleasant at all and I tried all the different quality modes. That would be my only worry.

I find Odyssey looks very jaggy in general in comparison to Horizons. Hopefully it improves, if their plan really is to utilise these technologies in order to get a release candidate for consoles. (I suppose we have to assume last gen only and current gen consoles with backwards compatibility until we hear any different..)

I've not played Odyssey on PC, and i guess my main issue with Elite Odyssey is their vision doesnt match where i hoped the game would go.
So even if they "get it running" on consoles, i'm still highly uncertain if i want to spend my time in it.

This is probably not helped as i bought the cheapest "pledge" for Star Citizen, and yes it's pretty buggy and still very much an alpha, the vision of the game is more what i want (or at least 3.13 was, not sure about the new direction).
SC has space legs with far more interesting gameplay attached; i completely disagree with spaceship interiors being boring and having no gameplay potential; the latest version has almost Hitman-like stealth gameplay and freedom to sandbox a mission; spacelaegs integrates into spaceship flying and feels cohesive and both supplement the other (eg: Xeno Threat cargo stealing, or 890j ship boarding).
Don't get me wrong SC is years away from being done (but can be really fun as-is right now), needs a decently grunty PC, can be buggy as anything, and very hardcore in style, but the potential development suits my tastes while Elite's seems to de diverging and development is obviously stalled for consoles at the mo.

Is it likely we'll see Star Citizen on consoles? Nope. So the future isn't looking great except to encourage FDev to reevaluate their roadmap, and look at the backer design they originally said. Not hopeful at all really.

The planetary screenshots and such that I've seen look really nice. But the update 8 gameplay footage from Super Cruise News this week from the settlement seemed a bit underwhelming. The look of it, the NPC interaction, like all of it was pretty underwhelming. I'm kind of contributing it to it being a patch gameplay, but what was your thought actually playing it? I've heard a lot of talk of NMS looking "cartoony" and it is to a degree, but I wasn't overly impressed with the footage from this week either.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I'm kind of contributing it to it being a patch gamI've heard a lot of talk of NMS looking "cartoony" and it is to a degree, but I wasn't overly impressed with the footage from this week either.
It was pretty good, the tutorial mission is quite nice introduction to the settlements as has you doing all the basic stuff. Scanning, cloning security, overloading and charging, cutting panels and such.

It played ok and I've see all the videos and streamers. I was pleasantly surprised as video footage on YouTube etc never quite gives you a full uncompressed view of the graphics when you have it running locally. The flip side though is the tutorial is a heavily curated location I guess but, the textures and graphics looked good. There was the odd flickering shadows and smoke, issues which are discussed all over the forums. The AI was just as bad as the complaints say though. I don't know if the tutorial commandos are particularly weak or my weapons (laser rifle and kinetic pistol were overpowered) but, again the controller felt good and swapping weapons was easy. So they died quickly. The default controller configuration seemed to work although a few binds were missing.

Station interiors looked nice and the UI was ok tbh and wasn't the nightmare I was led to believe. The galaxy map looks like it will take some relearning.

Oh and yes the Cobra Mk.IV picking you up at the end of the tutorial. Obvious troll is obvious. 😜

I've not played Odyssey on PC, and i guess my main issue with Elite Odyssey is their vision doesnt match where i hoped the game would go.
So even if they "get it running" on consoles, i'm still highly uncertain if i want to spend my time in it.

This is probably not helped as i bought the cheapest "pledge" for Star Citizen, and yes it's pretty buggy and still very much an alpha, the vision of the game is more what i want (or at least 3.13 was, not sure about the new direction).
SC has space legs with far more interesting gameplay attached; i completely disagree with spaceship interiors being boring and having no gameplay potential; the latest version has almost Hitman-like stealth gameplay and freedom to sandbox a mission; spacelaegs integrates into spaceship flying and feels cohesive and both supplement the other (eg: Xeno Threat cargo stealing, or 890j ship boarding).
Don't get me wrong SC is years away from being done (but can be really fun as-is right now), needs a decently grunty PC, can be buggy as anything, and very hardcore in style, but the potential development suits my tastes while Elite's seems to de diverging and development is obviously stalled for consoles at the mo.

Is it likely we'll see Star Citizen on consoles? Nope. So the future isn't looking great except to encourage FDev to reevaluate their roadmap, and look at the backer design they originally said. Not hopeful at all really.
I don't mean to be rude, but EDO's stealth gameplay is truly miles beyond SC.

Can you clarify that please?
For example i didnt think EDO had silencer attachments, nor the ability to drag bodies.

Presumably the rest of my points stand, since you only called that one out.
You have silencers, and takedowns, alarm systems, multiple ways to silently bypass locks and so on. I only pointed that one out to indicate just how wildly wrong your post was, not very interested in writing at length about the endless issues with SC. EDOs stealth is solid though not remarkable. SCs 'stealth' is as usual garbage. Or 'tier0' as they call it.

The record breaking sales potential of the new generation of consoles proves that there is a potentially lucrative market for Odyssey.

References:

In addition, in the UK Sales charts, half of the top 10 are console-only games. This proves that although the console playerbase only accounts for 1/3 of the current Elite playerbase, the actual sales potential - and with it, the size of a console CMDR community - is far greater on console than it is on PC.

Reference:

Frontier have previously stated that they have no plans to bring Odyssey to the new generation of consoles, however, so it appears that their business plan for Odyssey directly contradicts those facts.
Reference:

They have also recently been asked for more information on when or if the console development for Odyssey will resume, and have answered with very little in the way of tangible information., which suggests they have no real plan solidified for console almost one year from the original console launch date of Odyssey.
Reference:

The record breaking sales means squat

FD are perfectly aware about the market on the consoles.
They sold ED on PC and on XB and on PS. So yea, they absolutely know how much they sold on each platform

And the vast majority of ED players are on PC.
We consolers are a tiny minority

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom