Odyssey sales potential on console

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Yea, right.
I admire you optimism, but i'm afraid it's rooted in wishful thinking.
I would guess since one platform has EDO and the others don't the percentages might have shifted due to console players leaving ED collecting dust in their shelves. ... I think only enthusiast would switch over. Most people might just stop playin'

@boppa_ - give up

Frontier are unable and unwilling to say anything about consoles.
Any new / exciting / interesting mechanics will be discovered, documented and then thrashed to within an inch of life by PC commanders long before console players will get anywhere near it.

this is now a PC game. Frontier have milked the consoles for a revenue boost in years gone by and as a way of attracting new IP.
Given the 8 updates and various sub patches that have been released since Frontier felt that the game was good enough to go live, I think it is clear that any developer with an ounce of skill is either no longer at Frontier or working on the other games.

500 days since consoles got anything and absolutely no sign of anything anywhere near the horizon.

Consoles will be used as a cash cow to pick up the game when the share price is next flagging and I don’t expect the console odyssey experience to be anything near the level that PC commanders have got.

With performance as it is theres absolutly no way Odyssey is coming to Xbox One and subsequently One X(which possibly could run at 1080p)😢
The Series Consoles will most likely be able to run it.

With performance as it is theres absolutly no way Odyssey is coming to Xbox One and subsequently One X(which possibly could run at 1080p)😢
The Series Consoles will most likely be able to run it.
Yeah it does seem to be tacking that way, just wish "they" could be more up front about it "focusing" doesn't necessitate silence ;)

@boppa_ - give up

Frontier are unable and unwilling to say anything about consoles.
Any new / exciting / interesting mechanics will be discovered, documented and then thrashed to within an inch of life by PC commanders long before console players will get anywhere near it.

this is now a PC game. Frontier have milked the consoles for a revenue boost in years gone by and as a way of attracting new IP.
Given the 8 updates and various sub patches that have been released since Frontier felt that the game was good enough to go live, I think it is clear that any developer with an ounce of skill is either no longer at Frontier or working on the other games.

500 days since consoles got anything and absolutely no sign of anything anywhere near the horizon.

Consoles will be used as a cash cow to pick up the game when the share price is next flagging and I don’t expect the console odyssey experience to be anything near the level that PC commanders have got.

500 days. Ouch.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLji1buqZOk

I would guess since one platform has EDO and the others don't the percentages might have shifted due to console players leaving ED collecting dust in their shelves. ... I think only enthusiast would switch over. Most people might just stop playin'

They were shifted way before that.
Elite sold 4.5 millions accounts. Total on PC, Steam and Consoles (with consoles holding an estimate of less than 25%, maybe as low as 15%)
Then Epic gave away more than 8 million accounts.

Now where is the console percentage?

Yes.
Consoles are 100 millions? 200 millions? Care to compare with the billions of PCs?
Not to mention they know really well how many people play on consoles and how many play on PC. And they seem to be adjusting their efforts accordingly

Yes.
Consoles are 100 millions? 200 millions? Care to compare with the billions of PCs?
Not to mention they know really well how many people play on consoles and how many play on PC. And they seem to be adjusting their efforts accordingly

Revenue from video game sales (i.e. the revenue potential to Frontier of Odyssey DLC sales ) are far greater on console than PC. That's the subject of this thread.

If you're trying to suggest that the potential sales in the PC market is "billions" compared to console's "millions" then I'm sorry but I won't debate that with you simply because it is a ludicrous statement to make.

Are those "billions of PCs" capable of playing Elite though :unsure: i bet a fair few of those have integrated graphics, are not even min spec worthy, and less gaming-worthy than even a base PS4.

If you're trying to suggest that the potential sales in the PC market is "billions" compared to console's "millions" then I'm sorry but I won't debate that with you simply because it is a ludicrous statement to make.
It is tiring isn't it...

Yeah... i'd guess more than the half of all pcs are pure office pcs in companys, others are no gaming machines in someones private office. In my environment some guys even gave up having a private pc completely, since all private office things can be done also on a tablet and gaming can be done more elegantly on console (without fiddling with drivers, 3rd party software, antivirus software, configuration and so on.) And least a about third of my buddys have only their pc from their work company...

I think the big loud air sucking gaming rigs, that easily eat up several hundrets of watts are a dying thing in the long run. Only for enthusiasts, i'd guess for the future.

For me playing on console is way more comfortable. Simply download the game/insert media and the game runs well - no need to fiddle with graphics stuff, to find the sweet spot for good graphics and acceptable FPS. It has already been done for me.
When I think of my gaming capable PC (no ED bought for pc, since I do not like gaming on pc so much): Some software always crys for attention. Every now and then fiddeling with drivers and windows upgrades. Already p*ssed, when I think of having to migrate to Win 11 some day, just to be able to do the same things as before the update... the upgrade from win 7 to 10 was a mess. meeh! And many people in my environment think this way... console = turn on, ready ro play. No need to read system requirements.
And as a casual player with very limited time, i am not keen on wanting ro play but having to work through finding workarounds for another messed up MS patch before playing, because a new MS patch for example messed up the sound setting etc.... and my business laptop from my company p*sses off enough. Only turning on my private pc for some photoshopping and lightrooming...

Last edited:
I think many, if not most Elite console players (including myself) would gladly purchase Odyssey on the first day. The new gameplay opportunities and content is what would make us all play (again), and put hundreds of hours into Elite (again). I'm currently standing at 2500+ hours and I never had the intention to stop until the game was alive. Sadly, this is not the case on consoles anymore. With no more updates in sight I don't really see a reason to play - I've achieved everything I ever strived for in Horizons. I do play every now and then but really drifting away from Elite now. (Thanks, Microsoft Flight Simulator.) That said, I would be glad to return and play "full time" again, if Odyssey was released on consoles. And I am confident that many players feel the same. Remember how much we were looking forward to Odyssey, only to be told it's not coming anymore.

On the topic of last gen vs new gen: I do think that Odyssey could not run properly on old consoles, not because they're not powerful enough but because Frontier made it so poorly that it requires much more powerful hardware than Horizons. It is what it is. I think dropping support for older consoles would make sense, it would make the developers' job easier, so they had to optimize Odyssey only for PS5 and Series X|S. However, they stated it clearly many times that they had no plans to support the new consoles natively either. It's not possible to do it on older hardware yet they don't intend to support newer ones. This discrepancy simply rules out the development of Odyssey for consoles.

I think the market is there and the potential customer base is there. But I also think Frontier is going to let the console versions slowly die.

I think the market is there and the potential customer base is there
The new consoles only make about 10% of the console market share due to the impossibility to buy them for a reasonable price (saw few day ago a PS5 in a local supermarket for 860 € ---- 360€ over retail price - most of the time they are everywhere out of stock here in stores in germany)... and experts say, the semiconductor crisis will continue to 2023. Even the automobile production is stuttering at the moment. So even next year about this time the new consoles will make maybe 20-25% of the console market. Nope. A friend of mine managed to buy one on ebay from a scalper for additional 180€ few weeks ago. I think only enthusiast will buy at such obscene prices. Or guys who search the internet constantly for best prices - but not the average gamer. And when the nextgen ones reach a significant market share level, who will buy odyssey, which will have grown old until then...? a dlc for an even older grindy niche game...? Who will remember ED then ? (Not a AAA Title). I think, this can't be the planned business case. Would I buy a new PS5 for obscene prices (semiconductor crisis!) just to play EDO? Nope, unless there are "must have" games, that make me buy a ps5... even big AAA Titles like the hyped" Horizon Forbidden West "target the old gen consoles due to their market share. They can't be dropped right now for the big money making titles. Sure, this will change, but due to the lack of semiconductors I do not expect this break even before late 2023.

If FDev decides to drop the old consoles they cut away a big part if the console community, since most people simply can't buy a nextgen console, even if they want to. Think, this can't be wanted. So the devs will be forced to squeeze out of the cobra engine, what they can. We will see... From my point of view, I could miss out on the new optimized graphics of the ship models and other bling bling stuff on may base ps4 - it's okay for me how it looks right now. For me the new gameplay loops matter most. Sure, a highres-setting for the new consoles/pro versions would be nice for their owners. I wish for that. But I think, a basic EDO version without every eyecandy can be made for the old basic consoles, which are still sold. Just think of Mass Effect 4 Andromeda. Ran well even on base consoles and did not look worse then EDO (in some parts it looked even better!) So it's up to the devs to cut away the not essential nice-to-have-bling-bling-eyecandy-stuff and carry over the essence of EDO to consoles (with a basic mode and a (for the guys on pro-consoles or nextgen consoles) quality mode setting).

And I also think, there are policies from Ms and sony, that forbid to publish a dlc only running on nextgen for a game, that was sold for the old consoles, without releasing the whole game as a new enhanced edition of the complete game...

Last edited:
The new consoles only make about 10% of the console market share due to the impossibility to buy them for a reasonable price (saw few day ago a PS5 in a local supermarket for 860 € ---- 360€ over retail price - most of the time they are everywhere out of stock here in stores in germany)... and experts say, the semiconductor crisis will continue to 2023. Even the automobile production is stuttering at the moment. So even next year about this time the new consoles will make maybe 20-25% of the console market. Nope. A friend of mine managed to buy one on ebay from a scalper for additional 180€ few weeks ago. I think only enthusiast will buy at such obscene prices. Or guys who search the internet constantly for best prices - but not the average gamer. And when the nextgen ones reach a significant market share level, who will buy odyssey, which will have grown old until then...? a dlc for an even older grindy niche game...? Who will remember ED then ? (Not a AAA Title). I think, this can't be the planned business case. Would I buy a new PS5 for obscene prices (semiconductor crisis!) just to play EDO? Nope, unless there are "must have" games, that make me buy a ps5... even big AAA Titles like the hyped" Horizon Forbidden West "target the old gen consoles due to their market share. They can't be dropped right now for the big money making titles. Sure, this will change, but due to the lack of semiconductors I do not expect this break even before late 2023.

If FDev decides to drop the old consoles they cut away a big part if the console community, since most people simply can't buy a nextgen console, even if they want to. Think, this can't be wanted. So the devs will be forced to squeeze out of the cobra engine, what they can. We will see... From my point of view, I could miss out on the new optimized graphics of the ship models and other bling bling stuff on may base ps4. For me the new gameplay loops matter most. Sure, a highres-setting for the new consoles/pro versions would be nice for their owners. I wish for that. But I think, a basic EDO version without every eyecandy can be made for the old basic consoles, which are still sold. Just think of Mass Effect 4 Andromeda. Ran well even on base consoles and did not look worse then EDO (in some parts it looked even better!) So it's up to the devs to cut away the not essential nice-to-have-bling-bling-eyecandy-stuff and carry over the essence of EDO to consoles (with a basic mode and and (for the guys on pro-consoles or nextgen consoles) quality mode setting).

And I also think, there are policies from Ms and sony, that forbid to publish a dlc only running on nextgen for a game, that was sold for the old consoles, without releasing the whole game as a new enhanced edition of the complete game...

If you want a PS5 at retail price you can get them. It's just outsold the Switch, for example.

You can also pick up the new Xbox(s) for retail price if you're diligent.

The current generation console market is breaking sales records, and growing bigger every day.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom