Odyssey sales potential on console

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The new consoles only make about 10% of the console market share due to the impossibility to buy them for a reasonable price (saw few day ago a PS5 in a local supermarket for 860 € ---- 360€ over retail price - most of the time they are everywhere out of stock here in stores in germany)... and experts say, the semiconductor crisis will continue to 2023. Even the automobile production is stuttering at the moment. So even next year about this time the new consoles will make maybe 20-25% of the console market. Nope. A friend of mine managed to buy one on ebay from a scalper for additional 180€ few weeks ago. I think only enthusiast will buy at such obscene prices. Or guys who search the internet constantly for best prices - but not the average gamer. And when the nextgen ones reach a significant market share level, who will buy odyssey, which will have grown old until then...? a dlc for an even older grindy niche game...? Who will remember ED then ? (Not a AAA Title). I think, this can't be the planned business case. Would I buy a new PS5 for obscene prices (semiconductor crisis!) just to play EDO? Nope, unless there are "must have" games, that make me buy a ps5... even big AAA Titles like the hyped" Horizon Forbidden West "target the old gen consoles due to their market share. They can't be dropped right now for the big money making titles. Sure, this will change, but due to the lack of semiconductors I do not expect this break even before late 2023.

If FDev decides to drop the old consoles they cut away a big part if the console community, since most people simply can't buy a nextgen console, even if they want to. Think, this can't be wanted. So the devs will be forced to squeeze out of the cobra engine, what they can. We will see... From my point of view, I could miss out on the new optimized graphics of the ship models and other bling bling stuff on may base ps4. For me the new gameplay loops matter most. Sure, a highres-setting for the new consoles/pro versions would be nice for their owners. I wish for that. But I think, a basic EDO version without every eyecandy can be made for the old basic consoles, which are still sold. Just think of Mass Effect 4 Andromeda. Ran well even on base consoles and did not look worse then EDO (in some parts it looked even better!) So it's up to the devs to cut away the not essential nice-to-have-bling-bling-eyecandy-stuff and carry over the essence of EDO to consoles (with a basic mode and and (for the guys on pro-consoles or nextgen consoles) quality mode setting).

And I also think, there are policies from Ms and sony, that forbid to publish a dlc only running on nextgen for a game, that was sold for the old consoles, without releasing the whole game as a new enhanced edition of the complete game...
In a way, Frontier has already dropped the whole console community... Supporting the new consoles would still be better than nothing. Also, the Frontier Store is still available everywhere, so even if Odyssey isn't made for last gen, they can still provide income. However, technically it's just not possible to make Odyssey feasible on Xbox One/PS4. It should be, but I don't think Frontier will ever reach that level of optimization.

I don't know whether the platform holders make compatibility mandatory for DLC of games that are available on both generations. If that was the case, Frontier could still technically re-release Elite Dangerous as native PS5/Xbox Series X|S apps, and handle them differently to the last gen versions (even though with cross-gen save support), and then they can release whatever DLC they want on new-gen only. They will have to find a solution to this if they ever consider developing Odyssey for consoles, because it would be impossible to make it for the older machines. Not in acceptable quality anyway. But again, I still doubt it will happen on any console - and this generational gap may be just one of the reasons for that.

If you want a PS5 at retail price you can get them. It's just outsold the Switch for example
Only if you are lucky.
Example: really big electronic market here in Germany: Out of stock, can't be ordered. https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_sony-playstation®5-2661938.html
Same for XBSX.

Unless you subscribe to some discords or price alert pages you can't pick up one, unless you are lucky. Haven't seen one in normal stores here for months. You have to be at the right spot at the right time to get one.... and if you buy, someone else can't buy, since sony/ms can't still manage to produce enough of them to feed the demand. So the nextgen community will stay a niche thing for quite a while longer, than we all might guess. Still ingoing semiconductor crisis.

Last edited:
Today's news that JWE2 has undersold on PC ( not console) as well as Odyssey underselling on PC - and the associated share price fall for FDev - underlines the importance of developing for gaming's primary retail platform: console.

Not launching Odyssey on console either in the original launch window, or in the lead up to Christmas, was a short sighted decision financially. I've said it before.

Perhaps there will now be some real drive to release Odyssey on console and bring back platform parity, as a result of this inevitable outcome.

o7

Today's news that JWE2 has undersold on PC ( not console) as well as Odyssey underselling on PC - and the associated share price fall for FDev - underlines the importance of developing for gaming's primary retail platform: console.

Not launching Odyssey on console either in the original launch window, or in the lead up to Christmas, was a short sighted decision financially. I've said it before.

Perhaps there will now be some real drive to release Odyssey on console and bring back platform parity, as a result of this inevitable outcome.

o7

Do you imagine that Odyssey would've somehow been better had it launched on console?

o7
Exactly.... As said before hunderts times.
And treating the console community like the unwanted crippled cousin does enhance this process. Wake up FDev ! Wake up...
Not telling us any infos will further deminish your potential EDO buyers.... We are here, ready to give you our money. Wake up, before we are gone!

Exactly.... As said before hunderts times.
And treating the console community like the unwanted crippled cousin does enhance this process. Wake up FDev ! Wake up...
Not telling us any infos will further deminish your potential EDO buyers.... We are here, ready to give you our money. Wake up, before we are gone!

Well treating you like as you say the unwanted crippled cousin doesn't seem to have diminished your desire to buy from them so not telling us anything seems to have caused them no harm.

Do you imagine that Odyssey would've somehow been better had it launched on console?
It wouldn't.
But giving no info so several months reduces whats left of the console player base, resulting in less EDO sales when it should get finally released.

This short sighted communication causes even more damage to the expected EDO sales in future. Making people run away results in fewer potential buyers of your dlc. Simple logic.

Well treating you like as you say the unwanted crippled cousin doesn't seem to have diminished your desire to buy from them so not telling us anything seems to have caused them no harm.
Heheeee, I stopped buying any arx, because of the communication strategy. I would buy some nice paints, but i don't see any point spending more money on a maybe dead horse...,I hope it's not dead. But right now: no single cent.

Heheeee, I stopped buying any arx, because of the communication strategy. I would buy some nice paints, but i don't see any point spending more money on a maybe dead horse...,I hope it's not dead. But right now: no single cent.

I bought some arxe last week. Nice white paint for my carrier and a pumpkin suit.

I bought some arxe last week. Nice white paint for my carrier and a pumpkin suit.
Then all power to you. (No sarcasm or offence!)
But maybe FDev would make more sales, if the console cousins knew, that EDO is coming to the base consoles soon (tm) and that they are not riding a dead horse.... right now the silence is problematic style of communication. You know, we exchanged many many words on that.

Then all power to you. (No sarcasm or offence!)
But maybe FDev would make more sales, if the console cousins knew, that EDO is coming to the base consoles soon (tm) and that they are not riding a dead horse.... right now the silence is problematic style of communication. You know, we exchanged many many words on that.

We did but honestly I barely remember any of them.

I suspect a not-insignificant-amount of new game sales are based on the goodwill a company builds up, with their other games.

lol that isn't even close to being true.

You just need to look at nearly every major game that has been released this year and their failures to know that no matter how crap a company treats you people line up to shove money in their pocket.

Stockholm syndrome is a core part of being a gamer.

lol that isn't even close to being true.

You just need to look at nearly every major game that has been released this year and their failures to know that no matter how crap a company treats you people line up to shove money in their pocket.

Stockholm syndrome is a core part of being a gamer.
Then you have that other company that doesn't even release games! :ROFLMAO:

But... but... consoles can't even play Minesweeper, and there's billions of PCs vs consoles. I'm starting to suspect you're a fanboi @boppa_ :unsure:

:p ;)

o7
So for me, the article and the Report, shows more then clear that the signs for consoles are standing very bad.

no mentioning in the shareholder reports, no further plans. But the report shows clear like you said, that the consoles are a strong factor.

after I read this, and get the information that there stakes was at last friday very low, I didn’t think that EDO will come, the given information of this peace of paper and the complete no communication speaks a loud and clear language. It will be a wonder if we see Oddysee on consoles.

speaking for myself, i will check the weekly news, but it’s feels at the moment more than ever, that the consoles will share the same destiny like our Friends from Mac OS.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom