Odyssey sales potential on console

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I just want to point out that halo 5 sold almost 10 million copies without a PC Version. That's many times greater than the entire elite playerbase. FPS games are extremely popular with consoles and if it were done correctly fdev could potentially tap into that market and explode the number of players.

I do strongly believe that if they offered Odyssey as it's own standalone game with the option to buy the "base" elite game it would appeal to a lot more people. I personally know several people who have no interest at all in the space ship side of elite but have specifically said they would enjoy having me fly them around and provide air support.

I just want to point out that halo 5 sold almost 10 million copies without a PC Version. That's many times greater than the entire elite playerbase. FPS games are extremely popular with consoles and if it were done correctly fdev could potentially tap into that market and explode the number of players.

I do strongly believe that if they offered Odyssey as it's own standalone game with the option to buy the "base" elite game it would appeal to a lot more people. I personally know several people who have no interest at all in the space ship side of elite but have specifically said they would enjoy having me fly them around and provide air support.

Elite is not Halo
Odyssey is not Halo either.

You cant really compare a niche space game for nerds to the Halo franchise (Halo 5 sold more units in the first week after launch than ED on its entire history on all platforms combined)

And Elite was always a PC game.
They're trying with consoles, but ED was/is even more niche on consoles than on PC having way less sales on both consoles platforms combined than what it had on PC

Today's news that JWE2 has undersold on PC ( not console) as well as Odyssey underselling on PC
Isn't that more to do with ease of refunding on the PC?
Seems to me JWE2 underselling is more to do with it being more of a £20 DLC than an entirely new £50 game from what I've read.

Elite is not Halo

You cant really compare a niche space game for nerds to the Halo franchise (Halo 5 sold more units in the first week after launch than ED on its entire history on all platforms combined)

They're trying with consoles, but ED was/is even more niche on consoles than on PC having way less sales on both consoles platforms combined than what it had on PC
Fdev decision was to make elite as an third party game then they should handled it like this.

niche in console isn’t complete true NMS is a huge success, because of their passion and constant working over all plattforms.

iche in console isn’t complete true NMS is a huge success, because of their passion and constant working over all plattforms.

How many years took for NMS to be a "huge success"? 3? 4?
How many free Updates?

May i remind you that NMS is created by a privately owned "small" game studio?
They usually are not accountable to anyone else except themselves.
A public company does not have the same luxury

Today's news that JWE2 has undersold on PC ( not console)

Isn't that more to do with ease of refunding on the PC?
Seems to me JWE2 underselling is more to do with it being more of a £20 DLC than an entirely new £50 game from what I've read.

i'd put that more on the launch context than on FDev ability to create and launch a good game

JWE2 is actually nice and enjoys good reviews
However, the next JW movie was supposed to launch this year, but it was postponed by one year.
The implication?
JWE2 didn't benefit from the marketing and hype generated by a big movie like it happened when JWE1 launched at the same time with Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom

But blowing the doom whistle is always funny

How many years took for NMS to be a "huge success"? 3? 4?
How many free Updates?

May i remind you that NMS is created by a privately owned "small" game studio?
They usually are not accountable to anyone else except themselves.
A public company does not have the same luxury
Yes , but you forgot that they do it with a lovely effort. And as you pointet out, they are way smaller then Fdev and they get the game on all plattforms in a good mood, without any delays and anything else.

and may i remind you that elite in i vanilla state wasn’t the game like todays iteration.

You bring it to a point, NMS Is smaller but has more output which is totally free.

check the numbers about there sales and compared this to Elite. Compare both company’s with their financial possibility’s.

There's no doom whistle here my friend. You can't really argue with the facts.

I still find your whole "it's niche" argument confusing. Every game is niche by definition. If however by niche you mean "it appeals to a relatively small amount of people on console in comparison to PC" I'd suggest that isn't true either. There's a huge appetite for simulation games across all platforms at the moment. There's also a huge demand for space games on all platforms at the moment. I wouldn't discredit the console user base by assuming they're only interested in games like FIFA and CoD.

However, if the population on console is limited at the moment, then is there any wonder when it's not had new content for so long, it doesn't feature cross play or have a plan for it. How can it compete for player's time on console against most modern live service games which feature those things? There's been no significant movement on console for well over a year at this stage. Console have been painfully starved of compelling new content for lengthy periods since release in fact, and continuously the beginning of last year. It's easy to forget that when you're playing on your PC account.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Yes , but you forgot that they do it with a lovely effort. And as you pointet out, they are way smaller then Fdev and they get the game on all plattforms in a good mood, without any delays and anything else.

and may i remind you that elite in i vanilla state wasn’t the game like todays iteration.

You bring it to a point, NMS Is smaller but has more output which is totally free.

check the numbers about there sales and compared this to Elite. Compare both company’s with their financial possibility’s.

And it still doent answer to the question of how many years it took them to turn NMS from a crap failure to rather decent game?

Getting back to EDO, it seems to me it's getting there quite fast. U8 was good generally speaking
I'm waiting for U9 to see if it keeps the momentum

Every game is niche by definition. If however by niche you mean "it appeals to a relatively small amount of people on console in comparison to PC" I'd suggest that isn't true either.

For Elite it is
If it was as you keep suggesting, ED could easily outsold the PC base on XB, then repeat the success on PS.
It had 6 years to do it on XB and 4 on PS.

Did that actually happen? No?
Then you dont have a case to support your statements that the Console platform is the Gods gift on Earth for Elite Dangerous.
Because it isnt 🤷‍♂️

For Elite it is
If it was as you keep suggesting, ED could easily outsold the PC base on XB, then repeat the success on PS.
It had 6 years to do it on XB and 4 on PS.

Did that actually happen? No?
Then you dont have a case to support your statements that the Console platform is the Gods gift on Earth for Elite Dangerous.
Because it isnt 🤷‍♂️

The person you're replying to is also the same person that assumes that 13 million PS5's sold translates into 13 million potential EDO customers.

Horizons was delayed on Xbox wasn't it? For around a year?

Elite didn't come to PlayStation until Q3 2017.

There was a small period where all platforms had feature parity.

Like I say - self fulfilling prophecy. Not really sure what it is you're defending anymore if I'm honest.

NMS in comparison has cross play, VR support on PC and PS, cross save, and all updates, DLC and big fixes launch simultaneously on all platforms and always have done. It supports last gen consoles, and has supported current gen consoles natively since day one. It's been totally inclusive in this way since launch. As a result the player base on all platforms is very healthy, since it doesn't really matter what you platform choice is - it's platform agnostic and the sales are representative of that.

The person you're replying to is also the same person that assumes that 13 million PS5's sold translates into 13 million potential EDO customers.

But i do understand them perfectly.

I do look at the Moon more than once per month and i also assume that i would get to spent a 2 week vacation there hoping to get to catch an Earth rise - all payed from my middle class salary (or my retirement pension)
[/s]

Elite is not Halo
Are you sure? I was always under the impression I was playing as master chief strapped into a pilots chair.
I wasnt making a comparison. I am demonstrating the vast untapped potential Odyssey has to draw in console players. I could draw numbers from COD, Battlefield, Borderlands, etc. It doesn't matter. If fdev actually puts in the time and effort to grow it's on foot gameplay they have the potential to match or even exceed the PC player count.
This comment is frankly ignorant for many reasons and I litterly dont have the time to explain why. It is a good demonstration for why PC players in general have a bad reputation and are compared to "the master race".
Understand this is a cultural difference. PC players are drawn to different games than consolers. It is not because of the physical player numbers as has been pointed out multiple times that many of the top selling games are console exclusives. This is the point of the thread to demonstrate the untapped potential in this market.

I wasnt making a comparison. I am demonstrating the vast untapped potential Odyssey has to draw in console players. I could draw numbers from COD, Battlefield, Borderlands, etc. It doesn't matter. If fdev actually puts in the time and effort to grow it's on foot gameplay they have the potential to match or even exceed the PC player count.

Yet you keep making comparisons
ED is not COD, Battlefield Borderlands etc

it's still a nerdy niche game and it's definitely not a MOBA :)

This comment is frankly ignorant for many reasons and I litterly dont have the time to explain why. It is a good demonstration for why PC players in general have a bad reputation and are compared to "the master race".
Understand this is a cultural difference. PC players are drawn to different games than consolers. It is not because of the physical player numbers as has been pointed out multiple times that many of the top selling games are console exclusives. This is the point of the thread to demonstrate the untapped potential in this market.

No.
You dont really understand anything.

I'm a console player.
Firstly i got Elite on XB and i still play Elite on XB.
I got my XB specifically to play ED and it's basically the only game i play regularly on the console (which is not really unusual since it's the only game i play on a daily basis on PC too)

As i said - Elite never got enough traction on Consoles, compared with the traction it got on PC (and while saying traction, i still keep in mind that Elite is a niche game)
That's a simple fact supported by numbers over a significant period of time in the lifecycle of Elite.
And I say it as a Console player. Not as a PC player.

Yet you keep making comparisons
ED is not COD, Battlefield Borderlands etc
All of said titles are FPS games. Consoles focus on FPS games.
Elite is attempting to partly become an FPS game.
Therefore logically if they put in the work and effort they may draw from said crowd. I litterly have no idea how I can make this any plainer.
No.
You dont really understand anything.

I'm a console player.
Firstly i got Elite on XB and i still play Elite on XB.
I got my XB specifically to play ED and it's basically the only game i play regularly on the console (which is not really unusual since it's the only game i play on a daily basis on PC too)

As i said - Elite never got enough traction on Consoles, compared with the traction it got on PC (and while saying traction, i still keep in mind that Elite is a niche game)
That's a simple fact supported by numbers over a significant period of time in the lifecycle of Elite.
And I say it as a Console player. Not as a PC player.
Are you seriously going to sit there and tell me different platforms dont have different interests and cultures?

I've never said elite wasnt a niche game nor will it ever not be. However if they put in the effort on Odyssey and managed to attract even half a percent of say Halo or Destiny's fanbase for example then Elite would explode. The potential is there if they want it.

if they put in the effort on Odyssey and managed to attract even half a percent of say Halo or Destiny's fanbase for example then Elite would explode. The potential is there if they want it.

When this update was originally announced in 2018, and it became apparent it would coincide with a new-gen console release, I naively envisaged a big marketing campaign and Odyssey to be released as a flagship console launch title, with all of the bells and whistles involved in that - including things like better textures, increased frame rate and resolution, new features, cross play, new game play and perhaps, even, an inkling about console VR support.

How very wrong I was!!

But... let's assume Odyssey was ready to ship on time as planned, and Frontier had actually done those things? The sales would've been through the roof. Of course we now know none of that is in the plan, or likely to ever be, as that's clearly not the direction they want to take. Despite being let down by underwhelming sales on all fronts from the PC crowd they are targeting.

Full disclosure: I play on both PC and console. It frustrates me to see the lack of vision and ambition for this game to become truly successful on all platforms.

Last edited:
And it still doent answer to the question of how many years it took them to turn NMS from a crap failure to rather decent game?

Getting back to EDO, it seems to me it's getting there quite fast. U8 was good generally speaking
I'm waiting for U9 to see if it keeps the momentum
Ok, and how long was the delay for EDO? 3 years? In this time no mans sky put 20 new things all over the plattforms?

i get to start to understand you, you’re half baked console player and on the other hand pc gamer. But there a lot of console players who hasn’t in first the time to play elite on two accounts and second not the effort to play on pc.

when I would be in the same situation like you, hell what wouldn’t interest me this console debacle, because I can play it on both plattforms. And this is the point of some other guys which are triple accounted all day long hanging on forum gamers (hopes the ironic will be understandable)

perhaps you should see the comments under the video of D2EA or Obsidian ant, sadly most of the console players takes out there the frustration. Some guys underestimate the role of the consoles complete. Try to keep us telling that we should shut up? Man back in the days when everyone was whining and crying on the no communication behavior from Fdev, this Argumentes would be atomised from the same guys who are now compelling with the console cmdrs.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom