Odyssey space legs missions penalties too harsh and not appealing to take part in

My friend and I took a break from Elite Dangerous for a few months having purchased the pre-alpha and played for a little. Feeling that Odyssey needed a bit more polishing after launch we decided to wait.

Today we dove in to see what Odyssey had to offer and where instantly frustrated when we took part in missions which are very low in CR rewards 100,000 with threat level 4 to restore power to a settlement.

Flying to the settlement we found our way to the power building only to realize enemies were about, we began to engage them and my friend died.
  • First problem: Unable to revive a fellow team mate when they are downed.
Seeing as I was alone I hid so my friend could get back to me of whom was transferred to the penal center and needed taxis to get back.
  • Second problem: Rather then spawning back in the ship my friend was taken to a different system and their ship was stuck on the planet. A long range taxi was needed to go back to the system our mission was in then a short range to get back to me.
Eventually the enemies managed to somehow get in and kill me despite not having level 3 clearance for the airlock (no we did not overload the port). I was then thrown into the penal center, my ship too stuck on a planet in a different system. I ended up needing to get a taxi back a station where my carrier is and transferring my planet stuck ship to me.
  • Third problem: Taxis unable to land on carriers. I store all my ships on my carrier and needed to go to a station which required me to either transfer my ship from the planet I failed the mission on or transfer a ship from my carrier to the station.
A mission of which's reward was in the 100,000 CR range ended up costing me 1,000,000 CR between taxis, ship transfers and fines. It also took a long time to recover from a failure as apposed to being blown up in space!.

The consequences for failing a mission while on foot are very severe. Its a shame because the bases are fun to explore and interact with but having to use taxis and transfer ships along with fines for failing a mission is not worth the risk.

Last edited:
Don't do illegal missions or do missions in anarchy systems, you're pop right on the station. Yes it sucks. I used to hate it too. Wait until you get thrown into a prison where's there's no cab route back... OTOH, it makes you really think about illegal missions instead of grabbing them like any other.

This was a restore mission? The enemies woulda been scavengers. You don't typically get sent to a penal colony for killing scavs. And restore missions aren't illegal, so no reason to be wanted. Were you two already wanted before the mission? If so, this has nothing to do with "mission penalties." None of that had to do with the mission.

Also, I seriously dislike the idea of being able to revive teammates. But that's just me.

This was a restore mission? The enemies woulda been scavengers. You don't typically get sent to a penal colony for killing scavs. And restore missions aren't illegal, so no reason to be wanted. Were you two already wanted before the mission? If so, this has nothing to do with "mission penalties." None of that had to do with the mission.

Also, I seriously dislike the idea of being able to revive teammates. But that's just me.
So the rescue rangers brought us to the penitentiary ship. Yes the enemies themselves were wanted and we were collecting bounties for killing them. We where not wanted and had no fines.

Don't do illegal missions or do missions in anarchy systems, you're pop right on the station. Yes it sucks. I used to hate it too. Wait until you get thrown into a prison where's there's no cab route back... OTOH, it makes you really think about illegal missions instead of grabbing them like any other.
The mission was no illegal was legal and we had level 3 access and the power regulator provided as part of accepting it.

Top Bottom