Odyssey specs don't look good for PS4

Upped slightly from beta: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/odyssey-system-requirements.575015/

The PS4 GPU isn't going to get anywhere near recommended specs:

PS4 Pro fares a bit better:

I think PS4 will be below even min specs, so probably looking at 720p dynamic-scaling at "30fps" :unsure: Yeah-nah mate.

EDIT: trying to work out CPU, obviously tricky given PS4 is heavily mod-jaguar.
One site compared a A10-6800K, which looks like it'll struggle vs min spec:

Or maybe a core i3-4130, which isn't near recommended specs:

Last edited:

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Base PS4 is below minimum specification for sure. Base Xbox One will fair even worse.

I am hoping FDev can turn this around.

They have the best part of this entire year to do so, so not impossible.

My concern is what impact this has on PS5 without a native version if it isn't going well.

We gotta hope the PS4 Pro can at least maintain 1080p to avoid the PS5 being dragged down any further. I am not sure I can face playing on a PS5 at 720p.

Best case scenario is we get a native PS5 version which can at least give us 4K@30fps with Odyssey but, I won't be holding my breath.

My feelings on this can be entirely summed up as such

blow-my-brains-out-gif.gif

Tbh looking at this all I can think is can this console generation and release it on PS5 and Series X. I will be getting it on PC this time round when I feel the need.

Fdev took so long releasing this season that it has caused a serious issue with faith in their ability to deliver the experience.

• Graphics: 1070, 1660Ti or better
  • Processor: Current generation i7 or i5
  • Memory: 16GB or more
  • Hard drive: SSD
  • Windows 10 (version 1703 or later)

This is the recommended spec of our product for PC VR users. Yet we also support Oculus Quest 1 which is basically an Android phone (and Snapdragon 835 wasn't best-in-class even when Q1 released). It's almost as if... as if comparing specs across platforms didn't even make any sense!

But don't mind me, carry on.

1621403555124.png

Tbh looking at this all I can think is can this console generation and release it on PS5 and Series X. I will be getting it on PC this time round when I feel the need.

Fdev took so long releasing this season that it has caused a serious issue with faith in their ability to deliver the experience.

My PC has an i7-10750, 16GB RAM, RTX 2070 6GB, so meet the recommended CPU and about 50% over GPU, but on the alpha 2070 users were saying it didnt always run great.

Just can't bring myself to buy it on PC though, not feeling enthused about it.

Of course there is a downgrade! That's the whole point why there's no point freaking over PC specs!
If one wants an experience of X quality, then you need to look at the PC specs to see what that will be.

I ran core Elite (before Horizons) on an 11" Macbook Air, which had an integrated intel HD5000. It didnt run great, everything on low, 20fps in stations iirc, but was playable. I enjoyed it. But we can look and project what the PS4 / Pro experience will be, as people have worked out performance-equivalent PC parts fairly well.

I'm not freaking out, just putting the info out there so people can decide if the likely experience will be acceptable to them.
As it's currently looking like sub-minimum PC specs, and Frontier are not known for their PlayStation optimisation, i have doubts it will suddenly become much better.

If a Community Manager (or anyone else) wants to chip in and correct my guesses, then cool, i'll update the first post.

EDIT: more clarity

Last edited:
I'm not telling anyone to shut up, I'm just telling there is no point, not on the original premise anyway. DOOMED BECAUSE PC SPECS

It's pointless because the client is built differently for each platform. Go to the engine's platform specific build settings and set aggressive LOD level tresholds, garbage tier texture resolutions, there's your performance, it will look like crap, but it will run just fine.

It really is just a matter of

a) the engine team knowing their stuff so that the PS4 builds aren't just crap in general
b) algorithmic optimizations which apply across all platforms
c) the game team's ambition level regarding how they end up setting those performance/quality slider for each platform.

You cannot predict performance on PS4 based on PC specs. If the PC specs are being somewhat modernized I see zero reason for alarm regarding performance on other platforms. Now of course this is based on the assumption that Cobra engine follows most industry best practices you can find in e.g. UE4 and Unity. But I disagree that it would be a weaker assumption than DOOMED BECAUSE PC SPECS

For the record, roughly 1500 or my roughly 2000 hours of ED total are on PS4 and PS4 Pro. But I also used to play games on PS2, yes.

a) the engine team knowing their stuff so that the PS4 builds aren't just crap in general
c) the game team's ambition level regarding how they end up setting those performance/quality slider for each platform.
Is that all? I hope you already told FDEV about this.

Hmmm. That’s concerning.
Better minds than me might know different, but I haven’t seen Sony (or Microsoft) release DLC that is only available as on the current Gen.
That suggests that we could be in a CP2077 situation because the base game is already out. If it can’t work to ’accpetable‘ levels on the PS4, Sony won’t allow it to go on sale - because of reputational impact.

I'm not telling anyone to shut up, I'm just telling there is no point, not on the original premise anyway. DOOMED BECAUSE PC SPECS

It's pointless because the client is built differently for each platform. Go to the engine's platform specific build settings and set aggressive LOD level tresholds, garbage tier texture resolutions, there's your performance, it will look like crap, but it will run just fine.

You cannot predict performance on PS4 based on PC specs. If the PC specs are being somewhat modernized I see zero reason for alarm regarding performance on other platforms. Now of course this is based on the assumption that Cobra engine follows most industry best practices you can find in e.g. UE4 and Unity. But I disagree that it would be a weaker assumption than DOOMED BECAUSE PC SPECS

For the record, roughly 1500 or my roughly 2000 hours of ED total are on PS4 and PS4 Pro. But I also used to play games on PS2, yes.
For the record, and being in software development myself, I agree with you that the arguments made in this thread are speculative at best - cross platform comparison is YouTube click fodder, not actual fact until we see the complete product. There are many, many ways to write and adapt code. Some of them of course admittedly worse performing than others, but the hardware doesn't need to be the major parameter.

Now go ahead, go give me an lecture on the cobra engine, armchair geniuses.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Now go ahead, go give me an lecture on the cobra engine, armchair geniuses.
Maybe you should tell us, being in software development yourself you seem to know all about it. Happy to be educated.

I don't think Stinja's OP is somehow invalid. We keep getting told the consoles are just weak PCs so the code can't be that different right? Long gone is the PS3 architecture.

If it runs poorly (we will find out how well it runs in the next few days) on a PC more powerful than a console it's not a massive leap of faith that it won't run that well on a console.

The bonus of the console is fixed hardware so it can be tailored to suit. Especially after further optimisation. Hopefully this will pay off and of course hopefully FDev decide to support the PS5 natively.

We will find out in the Autumn.

Last edited:
Top Bottom