Odyssey trailer - thoughts?

I've only been around for a little over 2.5 years and 'legs' were a regular topic since then.
Even the FPS part of Odyssey, which is unlikely to bear any resemblance to current 'state of the art' is, to me, natural progression given the 'ship' side which has quite a heavy focus on combat, mission wise (even just trade, as the risk of pirate / hired killer encounters exist in abundance) so why should surface activities not include them?

Even in our ships we are in First Person Perspective...

Just waiting for someone to chime in with I wanted legs but not this.

Then what the hell did they want for legs because scanning rocks in your space pants might be interesting to some but if the game is to shift copies and thus keep the lights on it needs to appeal to a broad range of people.

xDDD
power rangers.jpg

Like a clockwork.
Nice strawman btw., FPS != space legs.

Thread need a counterbalance to the sky is falling because a alpha demo video didn't meet some peoples expectations.

I agree.
There’s 2 sides to the discussion.
But these comments aren’t a counterbalance to anything, other than the existence of the thread itself, and my implied narcissism.
They’re just unnecessary and unpleasant...

I agree.
But these comments aren’t a counterbalance to anything, other than the existence of the thread itself, and my implied narcissism.
Don't you know? You are NOT allowed to dislike stuff.

I agree.

It could be argued that threads such as these are unnecessary given there is actually a discussion thread for this topic already.

Still its nice to see some of the forum undead again I missed them.

Since you seem to be in the know, this is something I've wondered since the roadmap was announced for Odyssey - isn't there normally a Beta after the Alpha or is it a more common approach in the industry now to skip Betas?

Genuine question, cheers.
For the games I worked on so far, there has been a mix. Alpha used for getting balancing right, and Beta for additional balance pass before release. Sometimes both Alpha and Beta were accessible to all, somtimes Alpha was for pre-orders only and Beta weekends for the rest. Sometimes Beta was the only stage for public testing, and sometimes Alpha was for public testing without an official Beta testing period. It is a mixed bag, to be honest. None of them were perfect at release, but committed dev teams spent time on patching, so the games eventually became good.

This is, sadly, the state with most games nowdays... even single-player games... they are released as a service, rather than a complete product, which means that developers will buy time and money releasing a bit too early (to make the fiscal year, no matter what state the game is in) but then commit to fix most bugs and balancing after release with no additional cost for the customer.

FDev are following the norm, as far as I can tell and I can't blame them for doing so. The positive thing I have with Elite Dangerous is that FDev has a fairly large team committed to make it a good game, and Odyssey isn't an exception to that. I actually rather have FDevs approach to Elite compared to what happened to Anthem.

Anthem was released in a very bugy state in 2019, and now EA and Bioware have confirmed that they will not support it anymore. It is a dead product.

EDIT: Greed is what makes games release too early, imho, and it has zero relation to the developers themselves... it is something that happens above their control.

EDIT2: I might have one exception to that rule and that is Wasteland 3. They kept moving the releasedate.... and even then, they had to do several patches to the game after it was released.... but... the initial release was very solid in most cases.

Last edited:
It could be argued that threads such as these are unnecessary given there is actually a discussion thread for this topic already.

Still its nice to see some of the forum undead again I missed them.

Yep. Agree again.
It could be closed as a duplicate.
In which case, if someone feels that strongly to make such an antagonistic comment, why would they then participate in the thread?
Unless they’re simply being deliberately antagonistic in the first place for no other reason than because...
It could be argued that that is just nasty

And yet here you are, 25 pages in, still commenting, still being sarcastic...
Indeed... Would you expect any less?
There has even been sarcasm carefully cloaked in supposed positivity... an artful bunch of forumites indeed.

But, if you consider it positively, there has been a great deal of discussion and some amazingly insightful comments on the trailer here, the little gems more than make up for the bickering, sarcasm and veiled insults, wouldn't you agree?

Indeed... Would you expect any less?
There has even been sarcasm carefully cloaked in supposed positivity... an artful bunch of forumites indeed.

But, if you consider it positively, there has been a great deal of discussion and some amazingly insightful comments on the trailer here, the little gems more than make up for the bickering, sarcasm and veiled insults, wouldn't you agree?

Agreed.

I think on the whole it’s been a good thread, I have liked comments on both sides of the discussion. Which is only right - the title of the thread asks for everyone’s thoughts, after all.

There’s been some good points made all round. Some of us think the demo is fine as it is. Some think it needs more work, and of those some are concerned that it won’t get better, whereas others are confident that it will.
These are all valid and just opinions.

But comments like the one I highlighted are pointles, and add nothing to the discussion, other than to deliberately try to upset another person.
Hence - unnecessary and unpleasant

Agreed.

I think on the whole it’s been a good thread, I have liked comments on both sides of the discussion. Which is only right - the title of the thread asks for everyone’s thoughts, after all.

There’s been some good points made all round. Some of us think the demo is fine as it is. Some think it needs more work, and of those some are concerned that it won’t get better, whereas others are confident that it will.
These are all valid and just opinions.

But comments like the one I highlighted are pointles, and add nothing to the discussion, other than to deliberately try to upset another person.
Hence - unnecessary and unpleasant
Pssst!
You might want to check this out:

Deleted member 182079

D
For the games I worked on so far, there has been a mix. Alpha used for getting balancing right, and Beta for additional balance pass before release. Sometimes both Alpha and Beta were accessible to all, somtimes Alpha was for pre-orders only and Beta weekends for the rest. Sometimes Beta was the only stage for public testing, and sometimes Alpha was for public testing without an official Beta testing period. It is a mixed bag, to be honest. None of them were perfect at release, but committed dev teams spent time on patching, so the games eventually became good.

This is, sadly, the state with most games nowdays... even single-player games... they are released as a service, rather than a complete product, which means that developers will buy time and money releasing a bit too early (to make the fiscal year, no matter what state the game is in) but then commit to fix most bugs and balancing after release with no additional cost for the customer.

FDev are following the norm, as far as I can tell and I can't blame them for doing so. The positive thing I have with Elite Dangerous is that FDev has a fairly large team committed to make it a good game, and Odyssey isn't an exception to that. I actually rather have FDevs approach to Elite compared to what happened to Anthem.

Anthem was released in a very bugy state in 2019, and now EA and Bioware have confirmed that they will not support it anymore. It is a dead product.

EDIT: Greed is what makes games release too early, imho, and it has zero relation to the developers themselves... it is something that happens above their control.

EDIT2: I might have one exception to that rule and that is Wasteland 3. They kept moving the releasedate.... and even then, they had to do several patches to the game after it was released.... but... the initial release was very solid in most cases.
Thanks for the write up, always interesting to have some proper insight.

I suppose the AI thing in the demo struck a certain nerve with me given I experienced a rather dreadful episode of "fix it later", or rather "implement it later" with Cyberpunk's police AI (the rest ranges from dumb-and-dumber to pretty decent) - it's very much a quick and dirty placeholder and given the trouble CDPR have been in and the sheer amount of issues they need to fix (the most recent patch has actually made things worse on various fronts.... ring a bell anyone?) I'm not sure it'll ever get sorted.

Top Bottom