Odyssey trailer - thoughts?

Thanks for the write up, always interesting to have some proper insight.

I suppose the AI thing in the demo struck a certain nerve with me given I experienced a rather dreadful episode of "fix it later", or rather "implement it later" with Cyberpunk's police AI (the rest ranges from dumb-and-dumber to pretty decent) - it's very much a quick and dirty placeholder and given the trouble CDPR have been in and the sheer amount of issues they need to fix (the most recent patch has actually made things worse on various fronts.... ring a bell anyone?) I'm not sure it'll ever get sorted.
The AI in Cyberpunk 2077 is dreadful, even I noticed that, but it is a very pretty game...
I'll be honest, I stopped playing before the last big patch - and am unlikely to go back - so around £1 an hour for play... Not a brilliant deal when compared to ED & 4,000+ hours of play so far, for not a lot of £££... (apart from 3 HOTAS, of course!)

Thanks for the write up, always interesting to have some proper insight.

I suppose the AI thing in the demo struck a certain nerve with me given I experienced a rather dreadful episode of "fix it later", or rather "implement it later" with Cyberpunk's police AI (the rest ranges from dumb-and-dumber to pretty decent) - it's very much a quick and dirty placeholder and given the trouble CDPR have been in and the sheer amount of issues they need to fix (the most recent patch has actually made things worse on various fronts.... ring a bell anyone?) I'm not sure it'll ever get sorted.

Off topic: Have they fixed Cyberpunk yet?

On topic: Grrr sadness.

The gravity thing is interesting.

Presumably on low G planets, we are to assume that enemies (and us I suppose) are wearing gear that balances the gravity out (weighted boots if you like), so if you grenade a bunch of NPCs, on a low G planet, you must ruin their suits. Do they then drift in a big cloud?

I need the answer to this to be yes.
You are a sick puppy!

I also want the answer to be yes :devilish:

The gravity thing is interesting.

Presumably on low G planets, we are to assume that enemies (and us I suppose) are wearing gear that balances the gravity out (weighted boots if you like), so if you grenade a bunch of NPCs, on a low G planet, you must ruin their suits. Do they then drift in a big cloud?

I need the answer to this to be yes.

Agreed I need some ragdolling commandos in my game.

You are a sick puppy!

I also want the answer to be yes :devilish:

Agreed I need some ragdolling commandos in my game.

Game breaking if it doesn't happen. Open letter on standby.

I also like the idea of flying over one of these settlements (say 1-2km above it) as a battle is happening, someone grenading a bunch of NPCs and limbs hitting my windscreen.

FDev are following the norm, as far as I can tell and I can't blame them for doing so. The positive thing I have with Elite Dangerous is that FDev has a fairly large team committed to make it a good game, and Odyssey isn't an exception to that. I actually rather have FDevs approach to Elite compared to what happened to Anthem.

For the last 3 or so years this is not really a feature but more of a concern. I don't remember frontier fixing elite to a state of content since before they expanded as a company from 2 or so teams to around 6. Ever since they expanded, it seems they only cover the 20% of the features that they imagine 80% of the players using. They bother to add 80% more content, yet leave it with significant end user bugs, or in only a barebones first prototype like state.

Requests for quality and a second pass for every feature are forum memes made by the people who haven't given up.

It will be interesting to see what they do for odysee. They would have to change as a company which i don't think they will, however theres a chance their non gamer decision making would see odysee as a full released product, so may allocate more budget for maintaining it post release.

Game breaking if it doesn't happen. Open letter on standby.

I also like the idea of flying over one of these settlements (say 1-2km above it) as a battle is happening, someone grenading a bunch of NPCs and limbs hitting my windscreen.

That's why I need friends in game so I can shoot missiles at the npc and them.

I know I could missile random commandos but I'd feel much better doing it to friends @Red Anders you down?

Deleted member 182079

D
The AI in Cyberpunk 2077 is dreadful, even I noticed that, but it is a very pretty game...
I'll be honest, I stopped playing before the last big patch - and am unlikely to go back - so around £1 an hour for play... Not a brilliant deal when compared to ED & 4,000+ hours of play so far, for not a lot of £££... (apart from 3 HOTAS, of course!)
As I said it depends. I had the AI flanking me, using cover, moving to different cover, lobbing flashbangs and other grenades, after a bit of hacking fun they started to look for me, so it can be good. The biggest problem is pathfinding issues with general NPC pedestrians, and more so the police as they literally spawn out of nowhere right next to you. If you play it like GTA it'll be dreadful, but as a single player story driven game it's actually one of the highlights of the past years for me (this is PC though). As an RTX owner the game often looks absolutely stunning, but it could do with more optimisation and the jank is real. I completed it already and started a second playthrough almost immediately, but the latest patch put me off as they went backwards in various areas. I kinda feel sorry for the devs as they've been thrown under the bus by management by the looks of things.

Then what the hell did they want for legs because scanning rocks in your space pants might be interesting to some but if the game is to shift copies and thus keep the lights on it needs to appeal to a broad range of people.

Player housing in ship, eva to ship, and eva to astroids.

For ground stuff, that would be great too, but subnautica like base building. I've never liked base building in a fps game until getting to mid game in subnautica. Everything makes sense about it, and exploration to get blueprints makes so much sense. Oh, there's your exploration gameplay.

Still don't need combat nope. Even though im a targoid pacifist, id have to say targoid combat if anything, at least that's tied to the lore. The base combat is ultimately just an extension of the bgs. Which is great but not special in any way.

But who could possibly imagine that in a game where almost every single activity includes combat one way or the other, space legs would also include combat?
Don't play dumb. Community didn't ask for fully fledged FPS. Most people wanted:
a) ship internals,
b) space walks,
c) walking around the planets (not shooting people, just walking around, fixing your ship and gathering materials to fix your ship, mining maybe),
IN THAT ORDER.
Source: every f*****g social media (YT comments, reddit etc.), even this very forum. But yeah, keep pretending FPS == space legs.

Last edited:
Well its good news for you because you don't need to legs combat.

Everyone's a winner here.
The CM's made the point a couple of times that Odyssey can be played without combat in the last few mentions of the expansion in their streams. It appears to have either been forgotten or not noted from the streams.

OK, there was still the caveat that, as in the current game, NPC's can turn up with the intent of giving you grief, but that was all.

..what sort of missiles were you using in Red, Leo? ... and is there room for another pacifist in your wing?

Top Bottom