Odyssey UI destroys the fun

I'll start this out with I enjoy the Odyssey update, instability aside, however there are UI issues across the board that make the game so much less than it can be.

The issues exist in:

• Outfitting
  • Shipyard
  • Ship-Missions
  • Maps
  • Ranks in the Internal (right) panel
See below for broken out pieces.

Last edited:

Shipyard​

• “Your Ships” Love that feature, but give me an option to work with that ship (see details, call it to me, use it if it’s local already) without having to go to “Manage Ships”
  • Manage ships:
    • Filter by size
    • Sort by distance
    • Search by name
    • Bring back Horizons’ version of seeing details of the ship before changing to it. I have multiple Imperial Couriers and seeing the details of the ship will help me to choose which one to use or needs updating.

Ship-Missions​

Please split the Mission board and passenger missions back out, though this is more an annoyance.

Maps​

If I select a station/settlement to navigate to and I am in Galaxy Map, it should navigate to the station/settlement, not only the system.

Ranks – Internal/Right Panel​

It’s just sad when I have to resort to Inara rather than being able to see my progress in-game. Please bring back the percentages.

The Home UI for stations is a pain to navigate, buttons are too big with pointless background, such a waste of space.
Elite is a game about data, we need the info displayed in an efficient manner, while on the other hand the GalMap is very minimalistic which I don't mind but it would be better to give some more direction, it feels like there's no dialog between the station's UI and the GalMap, they seem almost from two different games.

Please, please, use the UI from the one in Horizons as base and improve from it, the new one offers a much worse UX, put it away.

I'll start this out with I enjoy the Odyssey update, instability aside, however there are UI issues across the board that make the game so much less than it can be.

The issues exist in:

• Outfitting
  • Shipyard
  • Ship-Missions
  • Maps

The issue with the RANK is NOT a "UI glitch" nor has it been fixed. It is an issue that RANK is NOT going up. I've been promoted to Knight 100 times in a week, and yet I am still a squire. If it was a graphic glitch, it would not keep promoting me to knight over and over (it sends mail in game). Lets please understand what a bug is so we prevent them from claiming fixes for bugs still existing.

Have to agree the new UI system is far from intuitive, it has it's perk in some areas but for the most part I seem to be having to come out of screens to get into another screen to then have to come out of that screen to complete what I was doing in the other screen.

E.G
Accepting and completing mission, in particular Donation Missions

Previous UI
You accepted the Donation Mission and could immediately complete it on the same screen.

Current UI
You accept the Donation Mission, have to back out of the screen to the Main Menu of the mission board, go into "Completed Missions" and then have to complete it.

It's a occurrence that seems to feature in a lot of the UI Elements.

The Home UI for stations is a pain to navigate, buttons are too big with pointless background, such a waste of space.
Elite is a game about data, we need the info displayed in an efficient manner, while on the other hand the GalMap is very minimalistic which I don't mind but it would be better to give some more direction, it feels like there's no dialog between the station's UI and the GalMap, they seem almost from two different games.

Please, please, use the UI from the one in Horizons as base and improve from it, the new one offers a much worse UX, put it away.
I second this request. The UI has become polluted and overly complicated. We are trying to entice new players and this may be another reason to discourage them.

Every new UI that got rolled out with Odyssey is garbage all around. Instead of just modifying the existing one like they did with the in-ship UI (the center console where they changed up how to disembark and such) they replaced it with something that is just beyond frustrating to use. Since alpha launched, there hasn't been a day that I logged in to play Odyssey where I didn't curse the UI and wish I could just have the old one back.

I don't care if the old UI wasn't pretty. It worked, and had all the info I wanted to see easily accessed with a minimum of mouse clicks. During alpha, people kept saying "You just have to get used to it, then you'll like it." but this isn't the case. A month and a half and hundreds of hours of play later I know where everything is and I still LOATHE this UI.

SYSTEM MAP: requires dozens and dozens of clicks to do things that used to take one or two clicks. Info that was accessible on one panel before is now buried in multiple tabs and the information is somehow LESS visible. I used to be able to tell if a world was terraformable at a glance. Now I have to stop and read through the planet type's description because all the text is mashed together.

GALAXY MAP: also requires far more clicks to use than the old one and again, info is buried in tabs where it's all smashed together. No ability to mouse-over stuff to display things, you have to click and half the time it requires multiple clicks to get the UI to actually select the thing you want. Also, having to hold down the mouse button to plot a route is a stupid idea. I hold down the mouse and the the map starts to move and shifts off the star so it stops plotting the route. Who thought this up? Why not just have a button to do this? Why do I need to hold down a button?

MISSION BOARD: What was wrong with the old one exactly? It was far more intuitive to use and the new one seems to lag out horribly when you try to access it. I suspect it's because it's trying to load all these faces at the top whereas before you only saw a face when you clicked on the faction to see the missions they are offering. Either way, I find this thing a giant pain to navigate and actually had a far easier time finding missions I wanted to take on the old one.

OUTFITTING: Total mess. Once again, info is harder to find. The whole thing requires a frustrating amount of clicking, backtracking and more clicking to find or do anything and a lot of things (like storing a module instead of selling it when swapping something out, for example) isn't obvious. So much so that even months later, people are still not seeing it.

Unless the point of this new UI was to annoy your player-base, then I would say that it's a total and catastrophic failure that should be reverted immediately. I'm sure if you had asked, the players would have been more than happy to tell you what minor QoL changes were needed to the old UI and you could have saved yourselves a lot of work on something that ultimately wasn't needed and isn't wanted by the majority of players.

SYSTEM MAP: requires dozens and dozens of clicks to do things that used to take one or two clicks. Info that was accessible on one panel before is now buried in multiple tabs and the information is somehow LESS visible. I used to be able to tell if a world was terraformable at a glance. Now I have to stop and read through the planet type's description because all the text is mashed together.

GALAXY MAP: also requires far more clicks to use than the old one and again, info is buried in tabs where it's all smashed together. No ability to mouse-over stuff to display things, you have to click and half the time it requires multiple clicks to get the UI to actually select the thing you want. Also, having to hold down the mouse button to plot a route is a stupid idea. I hold down the mouse and the the map starts to move and shifts off the star so it stops plotting the route. Who thought this up? Why not just have a button to do this? Why do I need to hold down a button?
These two are the peak of fail for me, it defies belief that anybody who has played the game for 10 minutes thought they were an improvement. Splitting info into God only knows how many panels, each of which provides a tiny fraction of the information that I used to be able to get at a glance. What purpose was it supposed to serve other than being an annoyance? It might be OK for someone who wants to plot a 4 jump route through the bubble but explorers spend a lot of time on the galmap and system maps and it's been turned into a chore when it should be an intuitive and helpful tool.

The fact that a simple mouseover on a system on the galmap will no longer pop up the system's distance is also just staggering as an example of making the tiniest little thing more convoluted than it needs to be. What's with making me click over and over to do anything at all?

Last edited:
Not to mention that on the old UI, I could click the name of the system I was in or my destination and it would focus on that system. Now if I want to do either, well I can just close and reopen the map to focus on the system I'm in now, but if I want to focus on the system I've set as my destination I need to type the name in at the top again (unless I have it bookmarked).

Shipyard​

• Manage ships:
    • Bring back Horizons’ version of seeing details of the ship before changing to it. I have multiple Imperial Couriers and seeing the details of the ship will help me to choose which one to use or needs updating.
Actually you can turn this information on and off by pressing “acute” (default keybind). Once activated it shows the information for every ship you select until you turn it off again.

I wan't to down vote you. If your measure of your enjoyment in a game is set only by how good the UI is you have a sad little life!

I totally agree about the UI - it's not an improvement and has negative effect on the basic enjoyment of playing the game - it's a game!! it's suppose to be fun and enjoyable - the new UI is ugly and painful.

Whilst some people ( with sad little comments ) accept a downgrade in usability and appearance. most would complain if they paid for some that was worse than what they had previously

Last edited:

The issues exist in:

• Outfitting
  • Shipyard
  • Ship-Missions
  • Maps
Word on the street is that Update 5 (Patch 5) will have a lots of UI fixes. You can check their road map in one of threads under News and Bulletins.

I'm not holding my breath. When I read "UI Fixes" I see that as "trying to polish this turd" where instead they should just be giving us our old UI back. Hell, I'd even take the old UI back as it was with not a single improvement done to it. That alone would be an improvement (or a fix, depending on how you want to look at it) over the current UI. This was a case of trying to fix something that wasn't broken by replacing it with something inferior in every conceivable way.

If you like the new UI, good for you. You probably haven't played the game for very long and don't know what you're missing (and I can only assume that whoever designed this mess hasn't played the game for any real length of time). As far as I can tell, most players hate this thing and want it gone. I have hundreds if not thousands of hours in the game and now I'm suddenly forced to use inferior tools for no reason whatsoever. Instead of playing the game, half my time is spent dealing with this garbage UI because doing even the most basic thing now requires minutes instead of seconds.

EDIT: Any chance some modders can find a way to give us the old UI back? You would become a hero to the community.

Top Bottom