ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey Update 2021

I do not think so. The console market is huge. Many money.

But why there is no native ED version for PS5 and XBox Series X/S ? :unsure:

Is it technically difficult ? :unsure:

🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠😷

I think the answer is time to tweak properly for the new generation (i mean to take specific advantage from it).
In addition the pandemic might have added additional struggle for hardware testing.

I really do appreciate the solidarity shown to us console players by sections of the PC community and although I'd love it to be released at the same time I feel for the PC players as the game is clearly being pushed for the end of the financial year release to please investors and fear because of that they're going to get a buggy mess and it will probably take that 6 month gap to fix it properly.

I think the answer is time to tweak properly for the new generation (i mean to take specific advantage from it).
In addition the pandemic might have added additional struggle for hardware testing.

I don't think they will be doing much in the way of specific optimisations for console, over and above adjusting the sliders a bit hitting the "build" button.

I still think the major bottleneck they had was building against multiple platforms all at the same time, whilst at home. Hence pushing out the consoles until the end of the year.

My guess is that a next-gen version won't be considered until they can get a good proportion of their people back into the office.

Would people be happier if the 'First Footfall' award for being first to walk around a planet is disabled until the console release is ready?

I don't mind missing out on that until the Xbox and playstation catches up.
I'd be happy with that but at the end of the day that's just a vanity thing and although it's important for some, being the first to discover XYZ isn't the main reason I play this game or was looking forward to Odyssey

I'd be happy with that but at the end of the day that's just a vanity thing and although it's important for some, being the first to discover XYZ isn't the main reason I play this game or was looking forward to Odyssey

The issue I've seen is that console owners seem to be, on the whole, understanding about the delay. However, they feel that they're missing out on the footfall award and that any BGS influence that the on foot missions could undermine. Normally, all platforms that have access to a MMO, should be able to effect the servers in the same way, so I would ask that the planetside BGS effects are disabled until the consoles are ready.

The issue I've seen is that console owners seem to be, on the whole, understanding about the delay. However, they feel that they're missing out on the footfall award and that any BGS influence that the on foot missions could undermine. Normally, all platforms that have access to a MMO, should be able to effect the servers in the same way, so I would ask that the planetside BGS effects are disabled until the consoles are ready.
All of this is true, though anyone who gets involved in BGS for any length of time has suffered being battered by enemies unseen or unknown.

My biggest gripe is that I will not be able to 'share' Odyssey with the members of my 'Squadron'. We formed via another shared interest and so play across all three platforms, cooperating where we can (Thank you fleet carriers) and talking rubbish over Discord where we can't. When the PC release comes half of us are going to be sitting around whilst effectively Odyssey happens around us and the other half of the 'Squadron' experience it in real-time.

And before anyone says it, yes I am considering moving to PC and I will definitely do it if Frontier will transfer my Cmdr, lock, stock and barrel.

When the PC release comes half of us are going to be sitting around whilst effectively Odyssey happens around us and the other half of the 'Squadron' experience it in real-time.

recon this is the bigger issue, not BGS or 1st boots, it's the fact that this game is all about sharing experiences
take the Halloween event, i would have thought player groups would have kept hush to be the 1st to crack it but the level of shared info that was going on was wonderful, no matter what you played on or if you are on social media or not, the sense of unity in cracking it was something else

Odyssey has been touted as being so big it's the equivalent of a new game, that's a lot of stuff to discover, workout and/or crack

imagine the next huge blockbuster in that star wars/trek/marvel franchise coming out and America get to watch it 6 months before the UK

Seems reasonable to disable the first footfall until parity across platforms (although, no one has given a good reason why this actually matters. I've never seen someone's name on anything and thought anything of it. This first discovered/landed/footfall mechanic is simply for selfish vanity). However, why disable BGS activity? Are you thinking Odyssey based BGS actions will have a greater impact than Horizons BGS activity? Furthermore, there will be players who choose not to purchase Odyssey. I can't believe anything done in Odyssey that affects the BGS can't be undone by those still playing Horizons.

Seems reasonable to disable the first footfall until parity across platforms (although, no one has given a good reason why this actually matters. I've never seen someone's name on anything and thought anything of it. This first discovered/landed/footfall mechanic is simply for selfish vanity). However, why disable BGS activity? Are you thinking Odyssey based BGS actions will have a greater impact than Horizons BGS activity? Furthermore, there will be players who choose not to purchase Odyssey. I can't believe anything done in Odyssey that affects the BGS can't be undone by those still playing Horizons.
Footfall from the few comments I've read here just appear to be FOMO in the bubble systems etc. That every base and newly landable planet would be discovered, mapped and walked upon in the gap months. A reasonable assumption, probably.

BGS - an odd one, as even if one is not deliberately manipulating the BGS one is affecting it, perhaps all BGS activities should be suspended until the console versions launch throughout the game, only changing with NPC activities?

But these are players who do want to buy Odyssey and fdev had said that the BGS is affected by the planetary missions and imagine if the BGS faction you've been backing has been tanked because other factions have advantages you don't. It's gutting. One of the Factions I powerplayed for got hit hard by both the bot commanders and the 5th Columners. We got thrown into unwanted expansion time and time again. It demotivating and the last thing you want is a demotivated player base.

Interesting line from an article today about Cyberpunk

The pandemic also played a role in the console edition's woes; with the development team working remotely and testing the game on their home computers, they were unable to access console development kits in the office and fully gauge how it ran on Xbox and PlayStation.

But these are players who do want to buy Odyssey and fdev had said that the BGS is affected by the planetary missions and imagine if the BGS faction you've been backing has been tanked because other factions have advantages you don't. It's gutting. One of the Factions I powerplayed for got hit hard by both the bot commanders and the 5th Columners. We got thrown into unwanted expansion time and time again. It demotivating and the last thing you want is a demotivated player base.
So is the concern botting or some unfair advantage Odyssey players will have? I don't remember FDev saying there are powerplay factions tied only to Odyssey activities. My thought is there will not be some sort of advantage Odyssey players have that can't be counteracted by Horizons players. Maybe I missed something by FDev on this?

So is the concern botting or some unfair advantage Odyssey players will have? I don't remember FDev saying there are powerplay factions tied only to Odyssey activities. My thought is there will not be some sort of advantage Odyssey players have that can't be counteracted by Horizons players. Maybe I missed something by FDev on this?

Yeah, it'd be extremely weird if a player who has the Horizons edition on PC, and doesn't own/play Odyssey wouldn't be able to counter those who do. So the console players should still be able to counter with Horizons too.

I was only using powerplay as an example of how dispiriting it is to see the faction you've worked for completely crushed and there isn't anything you can do about it. Ie. Console players watching their BGS faction being taken apart by PC players with the Odyssey advantage. As far as I'm aware, there probably will be no connection between powerplay and the planetary side of things in Odyssey.

You have a bit better chance at the game running at a half decent rate with a XBoneX, but its not saying much. Its just the base console with the processors overclocked and some extra memory. I recall there being a "performance" setting for the graphics that uncaps the fps to 60 on an Xbox One X, so it along with the PS4 Pro might have a better chance at getting the game to run. The base consoles however, well...what do I say when the most it can get as is is 30 fps? 🤷‍♂️

Hes got an xbox series x, which is the current next gen system (12 tera flop system). It pretty much runs the current form of elite dangerous in 4K performance mode at a locked 60 fps. Performance should be fine for odyssey if its optimized properly on the nextgen consoles. Base consoles however is another story (xbox one/ps4).

Hes got an xbox series x, which is the current next gen system (12 tera flop system). It pretty much runs the current form of elite dangerous in 4K performance mode at a locked 60 fps. Performance should be fine for odyssey if its optimized properly on the nextgen consoles. Base consoles however is another story (xbox one/ps4).

But this is the problem ... Elite is NOT being optimised properly for the current-gen consoles ... so a year after those consoles release, we’re going to get backwards-compatible access to the LAST-GEN versions of the game which may actually require a further reduction in quality / performance in order to deal with whatever has been added in Odyssey.

IMO, this is unacceptable.
  • If Odyssey releases as / alongside a PS5 native optimised 4K/60fps version of Elite I will buy it.
  • If it’s still backwards-compatibility for the last-gen version only, I will not.

Your ball FDev ...

yes, correct. Actually XSX runs the current Elite Dangerous so much better than XB1X (my previous machine). I am pretty sure it should run Odyssey also quite well (especially if they work on optimisation for XSX).

So, are we thinking "late spring" - probably May, is the final release date (PC) that we'll get? It's not like the working situation can get much worse, unless Covid 19 mutates and is transmissible through computers.

Top Bottom