ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey Update 2021

The financial year in the UK starts April 5th I think...
True, but fdev's financial year apparently ends 31st May in their own words. They will be paying Corporation Tax based on their own accounting period, which presumably for them runs 1st June to 31st May. Companies can change it.

As a UK self employed person, I pay mine April 5th to April 4th but even I have the option to change the period in my tax return. Although it's different from Corporation tax.

Whilst grateful for the update, I think Frontier should consider an Odyssey special (paint job or ground based suit) for those who have already paid up

Seems to me other opinions/observations bothers you very much....as i see same few obsessive fans in all these 47 pages and in every thread on this forum hehe!
It looks very unhealthy 😬

Btw where should i come to check status of the game i preordered if not here!
Not all of us are ED addicts, forum bots or ED being top on our list, some of us don't even playing it but looking forward to the new expansion😁.
This thread is interesting when bored at work, a lot of overreacting disappointment over a game and few obsessive fans jumping on every post lol .....and when you think of that these are grown ppl😱

Last edited:
However, that's a big if and we really have no idea how Odyssey will run on pervious gen consoles.
I would hate to leave players behind if its not warranted.
just the same is justified! The person playing on the console understood or not that the console is slavery and if a powerful game comes out, it will be released on the next console, and not cut off for the old version. This has always been the case with consoles. A similar movement on a PC ... if you want to play on maximum graphics, go for a new video card .... Don't feel sorry for the console players, they made their own choice, but they have "Exclusives" only for PS, for example. An example was GTA 5. Which at first was only on consoles, but when the rockstar realized how they had finished, the game was quickly remade on the PC. It all depends on the target audience. My point is that in the elite, the target audience is PC players.

just the same is justified! The person playing on the console understood or not that the console is slavery and if a powerful game comes out, it will be released on the next console, and not cut off for the old version. This has always been the case with consoles. A similar movement on a PC ... if you want to play on maximum graphics, go for a new video card .... Don't feel sorry for the console players, they made their own choice, but they have "Exclusives" only for PS, for example. An example was GTA 5. Which at first was only on consoles, but when the rockstar realized how they had finished, the game was quickly remade on the PC. It all depends on the target audience. My point is that in the elite, the target audience is PC players.

Hee hee,
You're gonna push a lot of buttons with that post.
Frontier have already said that they have / had no plans for an enhanced new gen console experience so it is one size fits all.

Your analogy is pretty spot on. Games will work until their demand of the hardware is too much, at which point you need to think of an upgrade. In the case of PC, it could be just the graphics card but could also be other components. Consoles don't allow the luxury of component upgrades, it is all or nothing.
Both Sony and Microsoft are currently holding to game parity across their estates - if the game works on the base console in the estate, all DLC must also work on the base console. I don't see that changing soon.

Just wanted to say that I have been a little irritated by the lack of 'hype' around Odyssey, like trailers and other marketing material, but then I thought that instead of dumping dev time into making a bunch of one-use marketing material, you're actually developing the game. So, thanks for that, and I do appreciate the Q&As.

Okay, what is interesting for me as a console player: What is about the users of a Thrustmaster Flight Stick? Will there be an option to switch ingame between gamepad and flightstick? You're giving yourself half a year to do that ^^

Hee hee,
You're gonna push a lot of buttons with that post.
Frontier have already said that they have / had no plans for an enhanced new gen console experience so it is one size fits all.

Your analogy is pretty spot on. Games will work until their demand of the hardware is too much, at which point you need to think of an upgrade. In the case of PC, it could be just the graphics card but could also be other components. Consoles don't allow the luxury of component upgrades, it is all or nothing.
Both Sony and Microsoft are currently holding to game parity across their estates - if the game works on the base console in the estate, all DLC must also work on the base console. I don't see that changing soon.

However, there is a difference between a new game coming out requiring the next graphics card / CPU / console and upping the minimum requirement for a game you already own from right under your feet ...

Just dont release it like Cyberfraud 2077, delay more if you have too.

100000% this.

"Live Service" as an excuse to release products that are barely functional needs to stop as a practice. If companies don't want to see more regulation being introduced and prefer to govern themselves, they'd start being more cautious in the way they do business.

When money changes hands, there's an obligation to fulfill...

Just wanted to say that I have been a little irritated by the lack of 'hype' around Odyssey, like trailers and other marketing material, but then I thought that instead of dumping dev time into making a bunch of one-use marketing material, you're actually developing the game. So, thanks for that, and I do appreciate the Q&As.
And you didn't think that the development had just entered the alpha or beta phase .... To continue the development, tribute was collected from the players. Well, I paid my tithe too. There is simply no material just because there is nothing else to show .... everything they could have already shown. I personally believe that there will be 1000 reasons to postpone the exit, finish the addon and then only we will have an epic trailer. Something from the series - Welcome back, COMMANDER! We were waiting for you! Your mission is to save everyone! ... and so on ... oh yes it was already in 2008 =)

Greetings Commanders,

We wanted to share an update with you regarding the ongoing development of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey.

2020 was a difficult year for many, but in spite of those challenges we are pleased with our progress towards what is a truly ambitious new era for the game. We’ve been delighted with the excitement and positive response to our development diaries, interviews, streams and trailers and want to thank all of you for your continued support.

The ongoing impact of the pandemic however, including the renewed lockdowns in 2021, continues to put added pressure on our teams and ultimately our development timeline. We have therefore had to make the difficult decision to make some adjustments and changes to our existing development roadmap.

Our PC plans have only been affected by a small amount, however our plans for the console release will unfortunately see a larger development shift. Please do know that these difficult decisions have been made with a focus on making Odyssey as incredible as it can possibly be for all our Commanders regardless of their platform, while also respecting realistic project deadlines for our teams during this difficult global situation.

We would like to sincerely apologise to all of our community. We know you have been waiting patiently and how disappointing and frustrating this must be. With that in mind, we would like to share with you our latest roadmap so that you are fully aware of our plans.

Alpha – early spring 2021
We are continuing with plans to bring Alpha access to our PC players and get boots on the ground. This will now be a little later than originally planned, in early spring.

Much like our original Elite Dangerous release, we will be taking a phased approach to our Alpha, bringing new features and systems online throughout the period. This will allow us to focus and best consider our community feedback while also providing vital user testing on key areas of the game. We will be sharing further information including details of feature drops and Alpha plans as we get closer to release.

Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Deluxe Alpha and Lifetime Expansion Pass holders will get access to this release.

PC release – late spring 2021
Following the completion of our Alpha phase we are targeting a full launch on PC in late spring.

As with every era in Elite Dangerous’ history, we will be closely engaging with our community and continuing to react to feedback refining Odyssey through to the console launch.

Elite Dangerous: Odyssey pre orders will be able to access the game with this release.

Console release – autumn 2021

After continued feedback, iterations and balancing, we are targeting our release on PlayStation®4 and Xbox One in the autumn of this year.

We understand that for many, this additional delay will be frustrating. Once again, we would like to apologise wholeheartedly to our community, especially our console Commanders. However, as mentioned previously, we feel it is vital to ensure that the content being released on consoles meets the highest standards and this will require this additional extension to our roadmap.

Throughout this time we will continue to bring more news, videos and content of the development in progress. We would like to thank you all for the ongoing support and we are very excited to bring in this new era to the game with you. Your feedback, support and involvement is a vital part of this process and we are looking forward to a shared Alpha experience, which will be touching down very soon.

o7 Commanders

In light of recent other high profile games being released before they are ready, I applaud your choice to delay the console release until its ready.

One thing I am confused about and has not been explained, most likely on purpose is why the console releases need 6 extra months of work? What could possible be so very different?

Also will there be any type of compensation as a result of the time difference? As you know commanders are credited with being "The first to Discover" and other achievements, now PC players have effectively 6 months head start on any new content?

I very much doubt you'll answer this, but here hoping :)

In light of recent other high profile games being released before they are ready, I applaud your choice to delay the console release until its ready.

One thing I am confused about and has not been explained, most likely on purpose is why the console releases need 6 extra months of work? What could possible be so very different?

Also will there be any type of compensation as a result of the time difference? As you know commanders are credited with being "The first to Discover" and other achievements, now PC players have effectively 6 months head start on any new content?

I very much doubt you'll answer this, but here hoping :)
I wonder if the fallout from "recent other high profile games being released" has caused the approving committees of consoles to demand a longer time for approval.

I wonder if the fallout from "recent other high profile games being released" has caused the approving committees of consoles to demand a longer time for approval.
could be! Matbe a "if its a PC port, it must be stable on pc for 3 months before we even consider it", which would put it completely out of Fdevs hands...

Top Bottom