ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey Update 2021

Sorry. I missed the start date of the beta testing. Can you give me a hint?
There is no beta test, only an Alpha test.

You can still participate in the Alpha.

The release of ED Odyssey for PC only at first, is for May 19TH, so you have a few days left to participate in the Alpha.

😷

Last edited:
There is no beta test, only an Alpha test.

You can still participate in the Alpha.

The release of ED Odyssey for PC only at first, is for May 19TH, so you have a few days left to participate in the Alpha.

😷
I've seen many different projects over the years, but this is the first time I've seen a release after an alpha. Or May 19 will not be a release but a beta?

This does not invalidate the beta. There will always be fixes.
True but Frontier have only promised the nearly finished Alpha and the release on PC of the full game on the 19th just in time for their financial year end commitment. There is no mention of or space for a Beta in their schedule.

I've seen many different projects over the years, but this is the first time I've seen a release after an alpha. Or May 19 will not be a release but a beta?
I thought that was a bit odd too, it's like there's a bit of a covert contract going on here where the May 19th release is expected to still be in some sort of testing phase.

It will be a release, but there are probably going to be fixes and updates afterwards.
'Probably' That has to be the biggest understatement I've read today. The alpha is nowhere near being ready for a release date being still riddled with bugs that have been there since the first download.
The issue tracker is full of reports that have been signed off as 'fixed' when they are still in the alpha and the 'fix' has not been tested. People are still suffering CTD that have been occuring since release and are ,at best, only acknowledged as 'confirmed' with no feedback as to the cause.
I have enjoyed testing the alpha, right up to Phase 4 when it seemed to hit a whole series of problems that still have not been solved. With an optimistic release date one can only assume that the next six months (optimisticaly) will be constant bug fix updates that should have been solved before a final release. I would hate to think it is profit motivated but can think of no other reason why it is being rushed out (considering other games spend far longer in Alpha/beta stage and still have problems).

EDIT

Well into the 'official' (Beta) release and, sad to say, majority of my fears are fact. Problems in Alpha are still in there along with quite a few more. Pretty sure this is the last pre-order the Frontier will receive from me. Six months seems very optimistic.

Last edited:
I will add to this thread rather than start a new one.
I am a beta backer and I had DLd Odyssey Alpha. Today I reinstalled to a new drive and the option for the alpha is no longer in the menu! Has access been discontinued or do I have a local problem to take up with support?
Thanks for any replies.

I will add to this thread rather than start a new one.
I am a beta backer and I had DLd Odyssey Alpha. Today I reinstalled to a new drive and the option for the alpha is no longer in the menu! Has access been discontinued or do I have a local problem to take up with support?
Thanks for any replies.

Alpha is no longer available for play. Final Odissey release is due in 2 days from now, on the 19th

Why not take the time to polish up the game by pushing back pc release on par with consoles ? The first few weeks are going to be mess anyway due to all the bugs.
You don't want another petition.
Haha, that's gonna go over real well... Given that people paid extra just to play the buggy alpha, do you really think people wanna wait for bugs to be identified and squashed by the dev team alone?

Will there be an update of the manual (the downloadable pdf one) because the manual version 2.40 is starting to be completely outdated by all the additions and changes made in the game, and Odyssey will not be the smallest of these changes

I played the alpha all the way and for me it worked quite alright. Sure there are bugs and things that need fixing, but I´m confident they´ll work it out. But even if not all bugs get fixed in time for the release, it will be very much enjoyable as it is. Last time I played before Alpha shut down, I could not find anything critical that made it unplayable. Odyssey will be a nice addition the existing game, and although there are a few things left to be desired, like the ability to walk around in the ships, I think they will be resolved in the future if they´ll listen to us players at all (and I think they will).

Top Bottom