ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey Update 2021

We looked at sold number and player base at different moments in time 😘
Does this tie up with this or are you looking at Steam and Epic?
1610565687588.png

and then -
1610565802089.png

Can't find X box :(
Pug

While I agree that COVID has had an impact, personally in my job as a developer, I agree with the home office comments. I love working from home and I've feel more productive due to less distractions. I don't miss the commute at all - within 10 minutes of me ending the work day, I'm eating dinner! I don't miss certain other issues about working in the office either. If I need to communicate, I use Teams and there are various online whiteboards out there to help share ideas and feedback.

If anything, when this COVID stuff is over, I'll be looking to work from home on a regular basis.
That's great for you - I too work from home and have many benefits from that, I also know many of my colleagues trying to work with kids around and in unsuitable environments. Some zoom meetings are a cacophony of barking dogs and background noise which is less than ideal.
Also some people just thrive on personal communication and feel very isolated.

That's great for you - I too work from home and have many benefits from that, I also know many of my colleagues trying to work with kids around and in unsuitable environments. Some zoom meetings are a cacophony of barking dogs and background noise which is less than ideal.
Also some people just thrive on personal communication and feel very isolated.
In a Zoom meeting yesterday (Petrochem) and 4 grads in the meeting all sitting around a 4ft kitchen table in the same accommodation, poor buggers.

My wife has the dining room and I have a man cave.
Different Strokes for......
Pug

Greetings Commanders,

We wanted to share an update with you regarding the ongoing development of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey.

2020 was a difficult year for many, but in spite of those challenges we are pleased with our progress towards what is a truly ambitious new era for the game. We’ve been delighted with the excitement and positive response to our development diaries, interviews, streams and trailers and want to thank all of you for your continued support.

The ongoing impact of the pandemic however, including the renewed lockdowns in 2021, continues to put added pressure on our teams and ultimately our development timeline. We have therefore had to make the difficult decision to make some adjustments and changes to our existing development roadmap.

Our PC plans have only been affected by a small amount, however our plans for the console release will unfortunately see a larger development shift. Please do know that these difficult decisions have been made with a focus on making Odyssey as incredible as it can possibly be for all our Commanders regardless of their platform, while also respecting realistic project deadlines for our teams during this difficult global situation.

We would like to sincerely apologise to all of our community. We know you have been waiting patiently and how disappointing and frustrating this must be. With that in mind, we would like to share with you our latest roadmap so that you are fully aware of our plans.

Alpha – early spring 2021
We are continuing with plans to bring Alpha access to our PC players and get boots on the ground. This will now be a little later than originally planned, in early spring.

Much like our original Elite Dangerous release, we will be taking a phased approach to our Alpha, bringing new features and systems online throughout the period. This will allow us to focus and best consider our community feedback while also providing vital user testing on key areas of the game. We will be sharing further information including details of feature drops and Alpha plans as we get closer to release.

Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Deluxe Alpha and Lifetime Expansion Pass holders will get access to this release.

PC release – late spring 2021
Following the completion of our Alpha phase we are targeting a full launch on PC in late spring.

As with every era in Elite Dangerous’ history, we will be closely engaging with our community and continuing to react to feedback refining Odyssey through to the console launch.

Elite Dangerous: Odyssey pre orders will be able to access the game with this release.

Console release – autumn 2021

After continued feedback, iterations and balancing, we are targeting our release on PlayStation®4 and Xbox One in the autumn of this year.

We understand that for many, this additional delay will be frustrating. Once again, we would like to apologise wholeheartedly to our community, especially our console Commanders. However, as mentioned previously, we feel it is vital to ensure that the content being released on consoles meets the highest standards and this will require this additional extension to our roadmap.

Throughout this time we will continue to bring more news, videos and content for the development in progress. We would like to thank you all for the ongoing support and we are very excited to bring in this new era to the game with you. Your feedback, support and involvement is a vital part of this process and we are looking forward to a shared Alpha experience, which will be touching down very soon.

o7 Commanders
Thanks Arf, tough update for you and the team to give, no one likes to give bad news to an already hyped crowd.
I'm in the PC alpha but also an avid PS4 commander so I get some good and bad news, but I completely understand.
Stay safe and look after each other. Odyssey will be ready when its ready.

We looked up sales and player numbers in 2018 19 and 20 and yes it’s about 1/2 the player base

If so, you have ignored the years this game has sold most before 2018, before / after launch and Horizon expansions.

Also, at the start FD store were only place to buy ED, so even Steam charts might have only a fraction of those who were at alpha/ beta/ launch.

Take your time. There's a lot to see and do. I'm Triple Elite, but am busy trying to figure out how to solo a Cyclops, have another trip planned to Colonia (to rank up with Engineers), and want to witness the Thargoid maproom in Virtual Reality, among other activites.

Why not take the time to polish up the game by pushing back pc release on par with consoles ? The first few weeks are going to be mess anyway due to all the bugs.
You don't want another petition.
As far as I've seen, except for a few exceptions, the best bug fixing only happens after players start feeding back from actual play. So, as long as everyone knows its Alpha won't this ultimately make for a better full release?

As far as I've seen, except for a few exceptions, the best bug fixing only happens after players start feeding back from actual play. So, as long as everyone knows its Alpha won't this ultimately make for a better full release?

Yep, as long as alpha / beta period will be long enough to get rid off most worst bugs.

Also I bet PC version launching first, with some bugs more than likely, will make console launch much more bug-free in the end.

We looked up sales and player numbers in 2018 19 and 20 and yes it’s about 1/2 the player base

ok so these are for active monthly players I assume
that's actually surprised the hell out of me, I would have bet the house on PC vastly outnumbering consoles

ok so these are for active monthly players I assume
that's actually surprised the hell out of me, I would have bet the house on PC vastly outnumbering consoles
Pc players have been playing for far longer and some may feel disenamored by the recurring gameplay cycle.

For myself I hope Odyssey is a shake up and Not more of the same.
I believe it will be. Fingers X'd
Pug

I'm a console player and although I'm not happy with the delay between platform releases it is what it is. It was never being released on console at the same time as PC that's why there were no pre orders for console they knew then something like this was happening. Having said that I'd rather wait for a working version rather than a complete bug fest

How do you know for certain?
What one it was two separate sites.
Pug
I only quoted the first image, the one from mmo-population.com

The image you posted shows they estimate Elite Dangerous has 14m total players, yet FDev themselves say 12m total (4m paid copies and 8m free Epic copies).

6 months ago, the same website incorrectly said Elite had 12m total players when the total was around 4m: http://web.archive.org/web/20201001132557/https://mmo-population.com/r/elitedangerous

It gets similar stats very wrong for other games, for example claiming Star Citizen has 12m total and 716k daily players when CIG publicly say 3m total (1.2m paid) and 30k daily players.

Incorrect website is incorrect.

Top Bottom