ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey Update 2021

I'm wondering if, as a console player, I will see the planetary tech and lighting improvements once Odyssey is released on pc and will I see players/npc's walking around settlements from my SRV, even though I can't join them.
I don't think you can see other platform players without crossplay, so I don't think so? The planetary changes etc will presumably be rolled out to the console versions when it releases on console.

Now I've discovered how great it is, whats the deal with headtracking going to be in Odyssey? - it works in ship, it works in an SRV, will standing up mean we are stuck in a neck brace or we will be free to look around seperately to movement direction?

Now I've discovered how great it is, whats the deal with headtracking going to be in Odyssey? - it works in ship, it works in an SRV, will standing up mean we are stuck in a neck brace or we will be free to look around seperately to movement direction?
Headtracking only works because they coded mouse headlook (or axis headlook) so it depends if they allow headlook for first person. If so, it will work. I suspect they wont include it.

I've tried it in ARMA and I hated it, personally.

I'm wondering if, as a console player, I will see the planetary tech and lighting improvements once Odyssey is released on pc and will I see players/npc's walking around settlements from my SRV, even though I can't join them.
Unfortunately, the console release is planned after the PC. So you will discover this a little later.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Well, what I guess I mean is, even though there isn't cross play, we all still fly in the same galaxy, so when the engine updates for Odyssey on pc won't I get to see new planetary tech even though I can't get out and walk, or land on tenuous atmospheric planets?

Well, what I guess I mean is, even though there isn't cross play, we all still fly in the same galaxy, so when the engine updates for Odyssey on pc won't I get to see new planetary tech even though I can't get out and walk, or land on tenuous atmospheric planets?
I do not think so.

The new graphics technology must be technically implemented on the consoles.

I also doubt that you will be able to see the new planets with atmosphere.

But patience, it will come.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Different servers though I imagine. I cant see that if a delay is required for consoles, it only applies to the code for first person not being finished, it surely must apply to the code for first person and the planets at the same time.

I can't remember, but there were two different components I noted myself when reading through.
I had a quick look - the only other 'negative' (rather than put-off) I could see was:
Q: Can we hide from other player’s radar?
We are still in the process of reviewing how PVP and the HUD will work so we can’t confirm an answer on that just yet.
As I'm sitting on an alpha pre-order I'm actively interested in reading how the expansion's progress is going! (Which is why I asked ;))

Well, the Vanity Cam isn't complete... Which others?
(As I do not recall any other feature mentioned as incomplete in the AMA to date)

He was talking about Odyssey features. I'd assume most of them aren't completed yet, but to give you an example: The atmospheric flight model.

If you're talking about live game features, I'd say Powerplay. That still misses stuff that's in the manual.

He was talking about Odyssey features. I'd assume most of them aren't completed yet, but to give you an example: The atmospheric flight model.

If you're talking about live game features, I'd say Powerplay. That still misses stuff that's in the manual.
I'd assume the majority are feature complete (apart form the console versions - but whatever) if it is currently being played by staff.. (think about it)
As for the atmospheric flight model, where was it mentioned as incomplete? (which was the topic)

Powerplay has been promised being 'looked at' again... no doubt it will make its way to the back of the queue in short order, again, as it appears to have always done :)

I'd assume the majority are feature complete (apart form the console versions - but whatever) if it is currently being played by staff.. (think about it)
As for the atmospheric flight model, where was it mentioned as incomplete? (which was the topic)

Powerplay has been promised being 'looked at' again... no doubt it will make its way to the back of the queue in short order, again, as it appears to have always done :)

E.g. from an article from last August (we don't get a lot of updates regarding the development progress - progress is always good and on time until they announce a delay):

Other questions about gameplay details went unanswered. That’s because, principal designer Gareth Hughes said, many of those details have yet to be finalized. That includes how the game’s flight model will be changing to deal with traveling through atmospheres for the first time.

“I know it sounds like a bit of a cop out, but it really isn’t,” Hughes said. “We’ve had to get so many of the the kind of fundamentals in place before we can look at almost this layer of sophistication and presentational elements on top. And we’re just finding [...] the development focus to start really looking at those now.”

E.g. from an article from last August (we don't get a lot of updates regarding the development progress - progress is always good and on time until they announce a delay):
So it was mentioned last August?
I wonder if they have bothered doing any further development since then?
The DLC will never get released because it is Frontier doing it, I suppose?

I appreciate that some of our forum members have no faith in anything Frontier related, such is the breadth of the 'community' that they will continue to play something they despise, apparently.

ETA: I wonder if Odyssey fails to recoup a significant return on its development costs if Frontier will finally give up on the game? It would certainly please some, I'm sure!

Last edited:

Its ironic that Powerplay, the most complicated part of the game, is not in the Pilots Manual at all, but its characters are.

So it was mentioned last August?
I wonder if they have bothered doing any further development since then?
The DLC will never get released because it is Frontier doing it, I suppose?
[...]

Why the hostility? You asked for an example, I provided one.

I don't have access to the source code and Frontier haven't exactly been drowning us in details about Odyssey. Or did you actually not want an answer at all?

Why the hostility? You asked for an example, I provided one.

I don't have access to the source code and Frontier haven't exactly been drowning us in details about Odyssey. Or did you actually not want an answer at all?
I read this forum too much perhaps, so see the same patterns over and again.
I would imagine that 6 months ago there were a few parts of the expansion yet to be finalised. The CM's claimed to be already playing it, which himts it may be much further along than the forum members believe.

Sorry if my response appeared hostile, the benefit of written rather than spoken words.

Given that they have yet to figure out what happens when you die while on foot and a pretty bloody major part of people shooting each other is dying, it would seem they don't really have a clue right now and the I'm very dubious about the release date. Also we really haven't actually seem any real gameplay, the in engine footage is all scripted, all signs point to them not even being close to being finished with development.

Top Bottom