ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey Update 2021

Odyssey is by far the most anticipated game/DLC I have in the pipeline, and add an Xbox player I'm good with this. I'll play it day 1 whenever it's released and just keep on playing the current version until then.

You might even get lucky - the new planet tech is separate and distinct from Odyssey. Theres a chance console players get to enjoy the new tech at the same time as PC players.

What happens if we were to hitch a ride to a planet and get left there - are we stuck waiting for someone to pick us up, able to call for a taxi or can we 'summon' our ships 2000LY to our location?
It would depend what if any facilities were within walkable distance I suppose, if there is a settlement then a taxi might be an option if it has a shipyard then summoning the ship would probably work.
Of course if there was no settlement the odds are we would find out what happens if you die while on foot.

Alpha is early spring now, interesting. More interesting to me is the phased consoles release, I'm glad that the entire release isn't being delayed because of consoles, which I'm sure will be to the anger of some. It's hard not to look at the console 'delay' without thinking of Cyberpunk and it's own problematic release on consoles, so I think in the end everyone will benefit from the extra development time. Phased approach to features in the alpha is... interesting to say the least, and a little surprising, because I honestly thought we'd be playing the alpha in February.

Thanks for the update.
Just keep your roadmap or however you call that and shift right by 1 year ... then you should be good maybe ... and stop announcing stuff you cannot achieve. It shows how incapable you are in planing and executing.

Console is obsoletel. Noone needs those, especially not in the same universe. And def it must not affect or delay ANY PC releases. The console ppl may play their autoaim 4 button games or play mario kart with Biden.

All im in is that Alpha is a lil late, beta comes after alpha and usually final versions come after beta.... Please tell me that final version comes BEFORE summer.

I started playing No Man's Sky again while waiting for Odyssey on ps4. I think Elite needs Odyssey. I think we need it soon. My friends are taking a break from Elite Dangerous until Odyssey releases. My Brother stopped playing completely (Waiting to see if it will be worth his time when Oddysey finally does come), and 5 other friends quit playing til then.

Sounds like I'm pleading for friends but the point that I want to make is,, Why the hold up releasing Oddysey on console? Would it be possible to release Odyssey by the mid part of 2nd Quarter on console? I know you are working from Home and I don't want an incomplete game but I was sure this was in development since 2018.

And will the restrictions of the UK Government placed recently on England effect the fall release of Oddysey? I'll end it here but I ask that you please don't write me rude replies Or post links to music etc. see, Someone on the Xbox forum mentioned mental illness, now is when to tell I have suffered from mental health problems for over 2 decades (Still ongoing). I ❤ you both users and Frontier!✌

Last edited:
Console is obsoletel. Noone needs those, especially not in the same universe. And def it must not affect or delay ANY PC releases. The console ppl may play their autoaim 4 button games or play mario kart with Biden.

All im in is that Alpha is a lil late, beta comes after alpha and usually final versions come after beta.... Please tell me that final version comes BEFORE summer.
I hear there is a pc Alpha & planned release both in the spring. The fiscal year for Frontier ends May 31 so its gravy for you pc gamers. Bill Gates should show some console love too. Lol 👀

And will the restrictions of the UK Government placed recently on England effect the fall release of Oddysey? I'll end it here but I ask that you please don't write me rude replies Or post links to music etc. see, Someone on the Xbox forum mentioned mental illness, now is when to tell I have suffered from mental health problems for over 2 decades (Still ongoing). I ❤ you both users and Frontier!✌
Well, this ridiculous excuse saying that the restrictions currently in england would delay the release of a software project are maybe good enough to fool people who have no clue of software development or the nature of running an development studio, but this is really naughty. I am working e.g. at a UK supercomputing company, we do software development of our own operating system and customized simulations for the military, the health and the gaming industry and brought the lockdown or the brexit on our knees? Did it delay our releases, our simulations and did it stop our developers to be effective?! The answer is NO! We are living in 2021 in the F-ing 21st century. Our dev teams are working ALL remote, we are heavy using clouds for our dev/QA processes and nothing, i repeat NOTHING, from outside can delay our process. As long there is power and food and water for our devs there is no infrastructure problem.

So when Frontier really says the UK restrictions would delay the release, i really expect more insight and transparency. Otherwise i have to think that they try to fool me, because its not quiet realistic to think that a company like Frontier is unable to switch to remote, if not alredy done before.

So Frontier, try again to convince us that UK restriction are the cause of the delay. Or better, be transparent and truthful and tell us the truth, not this PR s**t.

Kinda hilarious that someone who says they work in s/w doesn't understand that different types of software system have different needs & constraints. While I've never worked in game dev I can believe it has different demands than other types of software. Hey, ho - whodathunk a poster on here would lack in introspection ;)

Kinda hilarious that someone who says they work in s/w doesn't understand that different types of software system have different needs & constraints. While I've never worked in game dev I can believe it has different demands than other types of software. Hey, ho - whodathunk a poster on here would lack in introspection ;)
Yebbut, u no dat de byg oppppratin zistemz iz mucch ardr 2 rite dan a gaym, dontchu?

It reminds me of the comparison that my friend's Moped just cannot keep up with my GPZ900, c'mon motorcycle manufacturers, get your act together, I mean, this can't be right, can it?
They must be leading us all up the garden path if they are not the same in every way, surely?

I started playing No Man's Sky again while waiting for Odyssey on ps4. I think Elite needs Odyssey. I think we need it soon. My friends are taking a break from Elite Dangerous until Odyssey releases. My Brother stopped playing completely (Waiting to see if it will be worth his time when Oddysey finally does come), and 5 other friends quit playing til then.

Sounds like I'm pleading for friends but the point that I want to make is,, Why the hold up releasing Oddysey on console? Would it be possible to release Odyssey by the mid part of 2nd Quarter on console? I know you are working from Home and I don't want an incomplete game but I was sure this was in development since 2018.

Remember Cyberpunk 2077?

What happens if we were to hitch a ride to a planet and get left there - are we stuck waiting for someone to pick us up, able to call for a taxi or can we 'summon' our ships 2000LY to our location?

Stuck for Fuel out in the black - Fuel Rats
Stuck for minerals / mined goods out in the black - Rock Rats
Stuck needing your ship repaired in the black - Hull Seals
Marooned on a planet with no way to get to civilisation - Are we seeing the potential for the Uber Rats?

Top Bottom