ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey: Update on VR and Ship Interiors

This is not good news, I think a team like the one at Frontier is well trained to be able to offer us that content in full VR, I hope that at least that cinema mode is in 3D

Has that been confirmed? Last I read Horizons was staying "as is" - though that was before the VR announcement (i.e. VR was still in, so maybe old planet tech would too).

Although in the twitch last night they speficially stated that the new terrain tech will apply to all existing planets, ie even ones we cant land on, which his intriguing in itself and that it is good news for everybody assuming that refers to not just Odyssey purchasers:

Source: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/737107973?t=0h41m38s

@00:41:35 timestamp

Last edited:
Can you give an FD source for that?
Edit: To be clear, I am only talking about Horizons.

Although in the twitch last night they speficially stated that the new terrain tech will apply to all existing planets, ie even ones we cant land on, which his intriguing in itself and that it is good news for everybody assuming that refers to not just Odyssey purchasers:

Source: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/737107973?t=0h41m38s

Last edited:

Source: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/737107973

Sure, but the statement was made waaaay before the stream last night, so I was wondering where that had come from. There's still an assumption it'll hit Horizons at present. A nice thing all round; certainly not poo-poo'ing it. Just curious.

Source: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/737107973

Currently planetary bodies, moons etc are generated two different ways, landable bodies are generated using a spherical mesh, height bitmaps and lod textures, non-landable are generated using a spherical mesh and a flat 2d bitmap overlay, so no actual surface, this announcement sounds like they are changing the entire way bodies are generated and doing away with the 2d flat bitmap for non-landables, this is good news of course not just for looking good now but for future development expanding landings onto bodies with denser atmospheres. Of course Gas Giants are a special case since they don't have a solid surface, I wonder if they are changing anything for GG's. Might be something to ask in future sessions.

There's still an assumption it'll hit Horizons at present. A nice thing all round; certainly not poo-poo'ing it. Just curious.
Hmm, they said 'every single planet' - so are you worrying that Horizons planets will get the new tech in EDO / Base game , but not if you have Horizons? That seems ... unlikely. Than again we thought reduced VR support was unlikely, so I see where you're coming from :)

(I'm also not convinced by the 'every single planet' claim, I wouldn't be surprised if that got clarified to 'every single planet you can land on in any version of ED' at some stage - though I'll be happy to be wrong.

Edit: Actually Arf was very specific it is not just landable planets, I'm (hopefully) wrong on this one!
)

Last edited:
Sure, but the statement was made waaaay before the stream last night, so I was wondering where that had come from. There's still an assumption it'll hit Horizons at present. A nice thing all round; certainly not poo-poo'ing it. Just curious.

They said it at 41:30 into the stream last night.

Every single planet in the game will use the new tech.

We can all chill. ;)

We can all chill. ;)

No, sorry, that wasn't my question, but that's great news regardless. The statement was made about the new tech being used in ED/Horizons. I.E if you don't buy, then the code refresh would still give the base game a coat of paint. And yes, it was originally around the loss of VR, so it's no longer a big deal either way. :)

Yeah my previous statement arose from the Odyssey "exploration" dev diary PC Gamer interview https://www.pcgamer.com/frontier-talks-about-elites-new-on-foot-exploration-update-odyssey/ but doesnt mention who would get to see it, which I missed:

You can visit old planets too, and we have refreshed the visuals on them

Attachments

• galnet.png
    galnet.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 29,917
Last edited:
Yeah my previous statement arose from the Odyssey "exploration" dev diary PC Gamer interview https://www.pcgamer.com/frontier-talks-about-elites-new-on-foot-exploration-update-odyssey/ but just states:

Call me naive but I always thought they'd refresh ALL worlds in Odyssey; but saying "..old planets too" doesn't mean it applies to prior games. It should, but it doesn't mean it will. There may be many that could care less about legs, don't want it, etc. but would love the new vistas. Should they be excempt? I think it'd be weird in case that new tech means two people see different things in the same place. At least when Horizons came along, everything looked the same, you just couldn't go land. Yet, we don't know for sure if those base game users will get the pretty or not :) (I think they will, at least in part).

We can all chill. ;)

That's... slightly disturbing to me.

So, earth likes, will use the new tech? Gas giants? Water Worlds?

That implies things about the new tech that doesn't make sense to me.

Unless, they mean that the new tech does "stuff" at long distances, and for the earth likes and gas giants, they'll use that stuff, because it obviously can't be using any close up stuff as you never get close.

I dunno, that's really confusing.

That's... slightly disturbing to me.

So, earth likes, will use the new tech? Gas giants? Water Worlds?

That implies things about the new tech that doesn't make sense to me.

Unless, they mean that the new tech does "stuff" at long distances, and for the earth likes and gas giants, they'll use that stuff, because it obviously can't be using any close up stuff as you never get close.

I dunno, that's really confusing.
It's exactly the same thing that's happened whenever the planet tech has been upgraded, it's used throughout the game.

It's exactly the same thing that's happened whenever the planet tech has been upgraded, it's used throughout the game.

Well... the current planets seem to be using two different "techs"

One for none landables - which is texture and bump/normal etc mapping - as it's just a sphere, and one with the landables which has a lot of other stuff going on

I think if it was a rare event it could be fun. If every so often your FSD wouldn’t repair without landing and having to find some item on a planet and performing a manual repair. Something like that and like you suggested.
There you go again with the imagination. These people who say "there's no point in implementing X because it would be boring after the second time....."

Don't put guns in the game because it would be pointless without ammunition!

They are game designers, they know about this stuff.

Call me naive but I always thought they'd refresh ALL worlds in Odyssey; but saying "..old planets too" doesn't mean it applies to prior games. It should, but it doesn't mean it will. There may be many that could care less about legs, don't want it, etc. but would love the new vistas. Should they be excempt? I think it'd be weird in case that new tech means two people see different things in the same place. At least when Horizons came along, everything looked the same, you just couldn't go land. Yet, we don't know for sure if those base game users will get the pretty or not :) (I think they will, at least in part).

The Twitch stream last night I guess was the most explicit statement yet stating "for everybody". The other older clues are the product placement, in the Odyssey marketing blurb its all about accessing a new type of landable planet, those with thin atmospheres and the visual possibliities the new terrain combined with an atmosphere. Thats the product segregation and what they are being loud about to drive the sales. The retro-fitting the tech to all planets is being quietly mentioned here and there as a side effect ie this isnt going to drive sales of our DLC cause every will get to experience it.

Top Bottom