ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey: Update on VR and Ship Interiors

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
If I was a business and FDev was a supplier, I would ask them to come back with something other than 'Boiler Plate' for VR. I only ask for a commitment to do the work and a target date but apparently I'm asking for too much.
It would depend on whether the business in question was paying for a bespoke made-to-order product from the supplier or whether they were simply acquiring some run-of-the-mill production parts. If the former then the business could stipulate whatever requirements they may have - and be charged accordingly. The supplier could always refuse to tender for the work....

I find it hard to believe that most players would prefer OTHER interiors over ship interiors, are they really that out of touch with the playerbase?
Who here would accept a 6 month delay to the expansion if they added ship interiors? I would.
Nope.

Here's a crazy idea for you to think about too. What if the update was released on time, as planned, and then six months later there was a ship interiors update? You know, with them not having said 'ship interiors will never be a thing.'

Nope.

Here's a crazy idea for you to think about too. What if the update was released on time, as planned, and then six months later there was a ship interiors update? You know, with them not having said 'ship interiors will never be a thing.'
+1 on this, its been said a few times now and its the most logical of solutions

FDEV putting the cart before the horse as always.

Surely if we are going to be getting out of our ships for the first ever time, it would have been that much more magnificent, and made that much more sense if we had to, you know, get out of our chair and walk through said ship first? Space legs feels sad, empty, and pointless without this, I just cannot understand the mentality of FDEV at all.

Totally deaf to your own paying customers for 6 years straight now. Good job guys.

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying that for us, I would rather ship interiors done later to give them the time and love they deserve rather than crammed in on launch just to tick a box. Good call!
LOL yeah, even though Braben said the game was made from the ground up with ship interiors already done for this feature being added later. Even if not, they haven't had time yet to make ANY progress towards making this happen? It's been 6 years! The most requested feature for SIX YEARS.

Surely if we are going to be getting out of our ships for the first ever time, it would have been that much more magnificent, and made that much more sense if we had to, you know, get out of our chair and walk through said ship first? Space legs feels sad, empty, and pointless without this, I just cannot understand the mentality of FDEV at all.

Totally deaf to your own paying customers for 6 years straight now. Good job guys.
Which invites complaints about:
1 I have to release my seat restraint
2 Get down from the seat
3 Walk across the ship to fetch my special surface walking suit
4 Walk down the ramp

Why can't all this tedium be done instantly ? 🤷‍♂️

LOL yeah, even though Braben said the game was made from the ground up with ship interiors already done
No, not "done" considered, taken into account while designing things.

So, they have sketches, designs, ideas - but no, they never said they'd made anything, just that it was always being considered, for the future point they do it. (Which isn't now) (Which sucks, but yeah)

This is great news for us VR users, thank you Frontier!!!! But one question, will the flat projected screen still be in 3D (Like 3d Vision I guess) so objects have depth or will it be literally flat 2D and no depth?

At this point they've been 'considering' it for 6 years as some have said. There is an old axiom for folks who drag their feet in such a manner

Poop or get off the pot!

LOL yeah, even though Braben said the game was made from the ground up with ship interiors already done for this feature being added later. Even if not, they haven't had time yet to make ANY progress towards making this happen? It's been 6 years! The most requested feature for SIX YEARS.
If only (compelling) gameplay would depend solely on 3D assets...

While Odyssey will see players explore a wide range of on and off world locations including station interiors, ship interiors will not be included at launch.

We understand that the bond between Commander and starship is incredibly strong and know this is disappointing news for some.
I am definitely one of those who would be disappointed...that said, I understand you also have a very finite amount of resources (specifically including time and energy, even assuming money could be ignored), meaning priorities and it'd be best to focus on the biggest updates. On the other hand, just make sure you get around to it sometime in the future. OK?

Last edited:
2 Get down from the seat
4 Walk down the ramp

if we all thought like that, today GTA would be just a driving game.

2 Get down from the seat
4 Walk down the ramp

And yet,I would like that thought of that instantaneity to apply to the tritium charge of fleet carriers.
Why the hell do I have to take 30 trips to load the fuel tank when I can contract services with their ships and modules instantly? There is nothing to excuse that stupidity

Funny that, I'm a paying customer and I couldn't really care less about ship interiors.

You do realise that different people have different opinions, right?

Top Bottom