ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey: Update on VR and Ship Interiors

No, not "done" considered, taken into account while designing things.

So, they have sketches, designs, ideas - but no, they never said they'd made anything, just that it was always being considered, for the future point they do it. (Which isn't now) (Which sucks, but yeah)
So what do you think this is?

So what do you think this is?

Well it certainly isn't designed ship interiors built to be able to walk around.

That's an anaconda right?

Well, that also happens to be the one ship they made a damage model for - which needed some "inside bits" to be able to see them through the peeled off panels. So yeah, they've likely got a few bits of the interior generically modeled in a low detail level to work for the damage model stuff on the anaconda (and probably some other ships).

That's not in any way near the stuff they'd need to make for you to be able to walk around inside the ship.

Funny that, I'm a paying customer and I couldn't really care less about ship interiors.

You do realise that different people have different opinions, right?
I'll take the pepsi challenge on this right now, if you were to poll every player of ED I would be 100% confident an overwhelming amount of people would say ship interiors are quintessentially what they actually imagined when we started talking about space legs 6 years ago, and that they are extremely annoyed/disappointed this isn't the case now. It's almost irrefutable that this has been the most requested feature for ED since its inception and it really makes no sense to have any other form of space legs without this. Fade to planet/station surface is not the space legs anyone envisioned.

This really is such a huge misstep by FDEV. It would have been a monumental, pivotal moment standing out of that seat after 6 years in your beloved ship and making your way to the surface. Just that image alone would have attracted a lot of new players from the other big space games. And to say 'mer mer merrr this would take ages to get outside' is silly, I can't get a lift straight down to the airlock, or near to it, from the bridge? Why not? This should have simply been part of the design process.

I admit I misquoted Braben earlier, but he did say the game had been made from the ground up with ship interiors/space legs in mind, and the fact nothing has been done to make this happen in 6 years is very poor.

Last edited:
I'll take the pepsi challenge on this right now, if you were to poll every player of ED I would be 100% confident an overwhelming amount of people would say ship interiors are quintessentially what they actually imagined when we started talking about space legs 6 years ago, and that they are extremely annoyed/disappointed this isn't the case now. It's almost irrefutable that this has been the most requested feature for ED since its inception and it really makes no sense to have any other form of space legs without this. Fade to planet/station surface is not the space legs anyone envisioned.
With respect, you've written a load of stuff there that exists in your head. I'm sure you do genuinely believe it and you may even be right but you have absolutely no way of knowing what a majority of people want. None whatsoever. Even if everybody on this forum and reddit said 'yeah that's what we want' that's well under 1% of the player base.

In addition, I'm not advocating against ship interiors at all. As I said, I couldn't care less about them, which means exactly that. There's no way in hell that I'd want an update to be delayed because of them though, not least because there's no reason to delay the update. The only difference between delaying the update for however long it would take to include them and not delaying the update for however long it would take to include them, is that we could be playing the rest of the new content whilst that's being developed.

I will say this though. If the game was to make me walk all the way through say my Anaconda, or Corvette in order to get out, I'd want a skip button because that is going to be 'fun and immersive' for maybe as many as three times. After that, it's going to be as annoying as watching an unskippable cutsecene, on the basis that walking somewhere is not gameplay.

Ships interiors are already made, why can't we just hop out of the chair? I don't care if you can only do it while enabling some kind of auto-pilot mode with basic combat and exploring manouvers.

I wouldn't care if you cannot control the ship while you're walking inside of it.

But we should be able at least to see our legs in the cockpit ONLY, at least that, if they don't want to add ship interiors. just block the door and open it when you can dev it out. But at least give us the cockpit :D

i would happily buy the game. but I haven't got Vr, is more suited for VR and CoD players than space xplorers. D:

(I guess I will buy it anyways, I mean, why wouldn't I? :D )

Last edited:
With respect, you've written a load of stuff there that exists in your head. I'm sure you do genuinely believe it and you may even be right but you have absolutely no way of knowing what a majority of people want. None whatsoever. Even if everybody on this forum and reddit said 'yeah that's what we want' that's well under 1% of the player base.

In addition, I'm not advocating against ship interiors at all. As I said, I couldn't care less about them, which means exactly that. There's no way in hell that I'd want an update to be delayed because of them though, not least because there's no reason to delay the update. The only difference between delaying the update for however long it would take to include them and not delaying the update for however long it would take to include them, is that we could be playing the rest of the new content whilst that's being developed.

I will say this though. If the game was to make me walk all the way through say my Anaconda, or Corvette in order to get out, I'd want a skip button because that is going to be 'fun and immersive' for maybe as many as three times. After that, it's going to be as annoying as watching an unskippable cutsecene, on the basis that walking somewhere is not gameplay.
Of course I don't believe I know what every player wants and nor could I, but I have been playing since Beta, on all 3 platforms. I've been in multiple squadrons, forums, groups and in game I have spoken to many players. Over that time I have heard players from all ages/nationalities/backgrounds say how space legs/ship interiors would be incredible. So whilst I have spoken to a very small percentage of total players, I feel I've seen a wide cross section of the playerbase. Over the last 6 years I cannot even begin to count the amount of times I have heard people talk about getting out the seat and exploring their ship. Add to that the reactions to this update I've seen on discord, forums, YouTube and I feel confident a huge majority would agree with me.

And as I said previously there's no reason for you to need to take a huge walk to the airlock, that should be a simple part of the ships design. For example the lift on the bridge of the Conda or Vette leading right to the outside of the airlock on the lowest deck.

To your point about delaying the update? I absolutely would be OK with that, and from a business standpoint it would make absolute sense. It would certainly bring in players from the competition as these features would bring ED into line with some of the largest points of contention we have with SC/NMS etc. Instead this runs the risk of being a bit of a wet fart of a release rather than a fanfare, with a mixed reception and lacking that beautiful and powerful image of us walking out of our ships and into the universe. It just furthers FDEV's already bad reputation and confirms to the competition that ED devs will never do as its players want or achieve the heights their games will.

That said I totally respect your view and anyone else's as well, I'm just disappointed in FDEV.... as always.

Last edited:
I admit I misquoted Braben earlier, but he did say the game had been made from the ground up with ship interiors/space legs in mind, and the fact nothing has been done to make this happen in 6 years is very poor.
I'm pretty sure you're right about what a lot of players would expect to have come with "space legs"

I know before they announced Odyssey, with the cinematic trailer using development footage which didn't contain a commander getting out of his chair within the ship - I really did expect that to be a thing on day one of any space legs expansion they made.

As soon as I saw the trailer though, I was pretty much 99.99% sure there wasn't going to be. It would be such a crazy idea not to show that moment in the trailer if it was going to be in there.

But, yes, I agree, it's disappointing, and I was pretty amazed when I saw that trailer, surprised, and also confused.

Ships interiors are already made, why can't we just hop out of the chair?
This. We should at least be able to walk around our already modelled and rendered cockpits/bridges. Even if it's only while landed/docked.

Figured it'd work something like this: You have an "arsenal" of some type within your cockpit. Here, you can select what suit and weapons you bring out onto whatever planet you've landed on. The bigger the ship, the larger your arsenal inventory is. When that's all said and done, you head to the bulkhead/door/turbolift at the back of the cockpit, and select the option to either hop into your srv, or exit on foot.

There. Gameplay. See, it's not that hard. AFAIK. It's something, at the very least.

In Odyssey, players will be able to fly down to planets, fly through atmospheres and drive along planet surfaces in their SRVs - all while remaining in VR.
Yay! This is great news. Thank you FDev. This gets a thumbs-up. (y)

When disembarking your ship or SRV, players will be presented with a projected flat game screen in their VR headset in order to continue on foot.
What?! This gets a thumbs-down. (n)

I can't help but feel like more dev time will be spent making this "flat game screen" possible than it would to just leave the full 3d VR experience turned on for feet.

To put it all another way.

1. VR for ship/srv will remain. (good, it's not a regression)
2. A new VR mode "2d projection screen" will be implemented. (ok...)
3. New content (feet) will be locked to the 2d projection screen mode. (what?!)

Indeed I suspect it would have taken less dev time to just leave the already implemented VR available for feet!
The new mode is a nice option for those that want it, but it should be exactly that, an OPTION. You can even make that option the default, but let me turn it off. Sorry, but I'm not buying the "nausea" excuses.

As it is right now, you are asking me to buy an unfinished game expansion (at least it's not a regression anymore)... I'm not convinced yet... show come commitment and share intended plan/timeline for adding "full" VR support. Open VR beta even for those that have not bought Odyssey. This is a foundational game-engine issue.

I realize FDev is hesitant with VR feet... There are a lot of ideas/expectations outlined in this thread: VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey
Let us help you get it right, because "right" is different for different people so "options" will be needed.

For me: same as pancake but in VR+headlook. I just want to play in 3d.

That's... slightly disturbing to me.

So, earth likes, will use the new tech? Gas giants? Water Worlds?

That implies things about the new tech that doesn't make sense to me.

Unless, they mean that the new tech does "stuff" at long distances, and for the earth likes and gas giants, they'll use that stuff, because it obviously can't be using any close up stuff as you never get close.

I dunno, that's really confusing.
By "all planets in the game", I would assume he's referring to all accessible planets.

Not the inaccessible ones that are simply textured spheres with some bump-mapping. He's likely neglecting to think of those as "planets" in that sense, given that the context is about surfaces, which don't really exist on those worlds.

In other words, he's saying that the upgrades will apply to airless "Horizons" worlds as well and not just the new planets coming with Odyssey.

Last edited:
By "all planets in the game", I would assume he's referring to all accessible planets.

Not the inaccessible ones that are simply solid textured spheres with some bump-mapping. He's likely neglecting to think of those as "planets" in that sense, given that the context is about surfaces, which don't really exist on those worlds.

In other words, he's saying that the upgrades will apply to airless "Horizons" worlds as well and not just the new planets coming with Odyssey.
That's what I thought. Thing is, I watched it, and it didn't seem like that's what he was saying. I think at one point he literally said "Not only the ones you can land on" so... dunno.

This is perfectly reasonable, if somewhat disappointing. I’d love to see a better VR implementation in the future (even if it’s just the full VR POV with traditional controller support). Guess I’d better set some cash aside for this now...

Yay! This is great news. Thank you FDev. This gets a thumbs-up. (y)

What?! This gets a thumbs-down. (n)

I can't help but feel like more dev time will be spent making this "flat game screen" possible than it would to just leave the full 3d VR experience turned on for feet.

To put it all another way.

1. VR for ship/srv will remain. (good, it's not a regression)
2. A new VR mode "2d projection screen" will be implemented. (ok...)
3. New content (feet) will be locked to the 2d projection screen mode. (what?!)

Indeed I suspect it would have taken less dev time to just leave the already implemented VR available for feet!
The new mode is a nice option for those that want it, but it should be exactly that, an OPTION. You can even make that option the default, but let me turn it off. Sorry, but I'm not buying the "nausea" excuses.

As it is right now, you are asking me to buy an unfinished game expansion (at least it's not a regression anymore)... I'm not convinced yet... show come commitment and share intended plan/timeline for adding "full" VR support. Open VR beta even for those that have not bought Odyssey. This is a foundational game-engine issue.

I realize FDev is hesitant with VR feet... There are a lot of ideas/expectations outlined in this thread: VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey
Let us help you get it right, because "right" is different for different people so "options" will be needed.

For me: same as pancake but in VR+headlook. I just want to play in 3d.
they could add on-board systems to do stuff or order the ship computer to maneuver in some way or do something, add the possibilty to do some stuff instead of just piloting the ship

• Draw free power from module plant and reroute to a module, for gain in % something
  • Order the ship to orbit bodies, or attack X kind of ship in the radar, or trade some kind of simple cargo between systems, maybe explore and check on systems. While it would be weird to add auto-pilot (hello, hired crews? I paid 1 billion already to a crew of mine, why can't he just drive the ship or do some really simple jump?), player input SHOULD be a requisite to avoid afk-pilots tsunamis, even if there is a crew npc controlling the ship, or just a new-ship computer. They could add modules suited for combat, trade, exploration, who knows, engage in some chat in some new window who connects all live commanders in the server in open -and solo, maybe?-, and filters everyone by some wird tags, and allows the possibility of opening small topics and stuff. It would made the world feel like there is more connected, now that GalNet is around. Discord is good, but really... 3rd party app?
And there you have it, you go around your ship if you get bored, and play some snake in the screen behind your pilot seat, after it you check systems, and order your crew to attack some pirate in the radar, interdict and engage, who knows.

People call that minigame, but I don't see it as a minigame. Some people would even prefer to PvE just commanding from behind the pilot seat.

everything is blocked in this game, it's like you can't go past lvl 3 and you don't unlock all skills and features yet ._o

They cannot even fix the ugly ugly turret camera mode, and you can't use turrets if you're not in crew. They need to add more module space, or the possibility to split or new module splitters, there would be so many new options in the game with what already is in the game.

I mean, I played a LOT of games along my entire life, and no game has an uglier 3rd camera like Elite:Dangerous in its turret mode. I hope they fix it :(

They are small things, that can make tons of changes in the gameplay of the game. Those QoL improvements would stop the boring bottleneck that these issues had become.

Last edited:
This is the thing: I'd do too, and that despite being a lifetime pass holder.

Once again, just like with Multicrew we're running the risk of ending up with a minimum viable implementation of a feature, and then being stuck with it like we are with multicrew. And for once, instancing isn't the technical roadblock here, it's really a question of scope and ambition. My fear is that there might not even be the ambition to get to the point where walking around is really more than an FPS version of driving around in a base in an SRV.

I hope I'm wrong.
Unfortunately I believe you're correct in your assumption.

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe that most players would prefer OTHER interiors over ship interiors, are they really that out of touch with the player base?
Who here would accept a 6 month delay to the expansion if they added ship interiors? I would.
A six month delay seems too little for full ship interiors, might be possible for basic ship interiors like cockpits. I think most folks outside this platform would be okay with a delay of it was officially announced. Still the game has already been delayed once, not sure they can afford to delay it again.

Hello!

Asked earlier and asking again now in a separate message so it doesn't get missed.

Will the flat projection into HMD's offer head tracking, or will it static and like watching a screen in the HMD?
Pretty sure it will be like watching a static monitor in your headset. It's likely to be a very big screen though.

Ships interiors are already made, why can't we just hop out of the chair? I don't care if you can only do it while enabling some kind of auto-pilot mode with basic combat and exploring manouvers.

I wouldn't care if you cannot control the ship while you're walking inside of it.

But we should be able at least to see our legs in the cockpit ONLY, at least that, if they don't want to add ship interiors. just block the door and open it when you can dev it out. But at least give us the cockpit :D

i would happily buy the game. but I haven't got Vr, is more suited for VR and CoD players than space xplorers. D:

(I guess I will buy it anyways, I mean, why wouldn't I? :D )
We used to be able to. Not long after I got my original Vive, I got out of the chair and wondered around some of my ships to see that there were other rooms. In almost every case, doors were closed but I could see hints of them by causing clipping effects depending on where I lay/sat/stood/walked after whilst resetting the HMD position.

I only remember because I once noticed an open hatch on the floor slightly behind me and to the side, against a bulkhead. I went to have a look and headbutted my radiator.

Then FD went through a phase of some updates it would work for me and some it wouldn't and now - never, I get disorientation whereby if I lean forward/sideways to look past a frame or beam and the whole damned cockpit leans with me. No idea why they nerfed this.

Pretty sure it will be like watching a static monitor in your headset. It's likely to be a very big screen though.
Idea: WMR supports windows embedding natively without any TP software. Open a window next to your '2D' screen and get co-op mate to twitch his view so you can see it next to yours, then do the same for him. The advantage of '2D' mode screens is that they're not superimposed on any part of the game screen ( assumption - depending on how FD render it ). Of course we could try this in regular VR but it does mean obscuring the game view. Might not be a problem for 2D 'on foot' view depending on how big ED make the telly. Might be some advantages for 2D in a headset - totally guessing though.

Top Bottom