ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey: Update on VR and Ship Interiors

I can only hope that ship interiors are coming sooner rather than later. Why? Simply because of scale in context. Being able to conceptually understand the scale of your ship inside and out is a fairly major addition to immersion in my opinion. You've bought 100 Tonnes of cargo? Instant contextual scale when you can enter your cargo bay. Your ship turns like a pregnant whale? Walk around it, it's huge and has mass and inertia. The other thing it adds is something that in my opinion being omitted wrecked Star Wars eps 1-3, that being a transition journey. Moving from your cockpit to the surface of a planet makes it more real and less of a game.

Fundamentally it's these thing that I think ED misses. It's the little transitions, the little touches that make it more personally real. Walking around planets and stations gives you a "body" in the universe beyond the ship, hopefully giving that body scale and context will help move it from feeling gamey and into being populated.

I also hope that NPCs will be afforded persons as well which will ultimately translate into NPC population which for me is one of the greatest things keeping me away from the game. It's just so damn empty even when a system has billions of people apparently populating it.

I'll keep watching and waiting to see how this plays out.

Very pleased to have a clearer statement on how Odyssey will interact with VR. While a projected flat screen is clearly far from ideal, I believe many VR commanders can work with this while hoping for a more extensive VR implementation in the future (for me personally, roomscale and/or motion controllers would certainly not be a requirement as transitioning from seated to roomscale while wearing the headset would bring its own can of worms).

This leaves less up to imagination and fears than earlier statements, thank you.

We understand that VR is a big part of Elite Dangerous and is a feature that holds a dedicated and passionate community. However, we do strongly believe that VR should only be enabled for on foot gameplay when we have an experience that truly matches the same quality bar that we set for cockpits. That said, we do hope that this implementation will allow our VR players the best possible transition between their VR experience and exploration on foot.

What's the problem with this then? We fly in VR, we drive in VR but we can't walk. What is the problem with walking in VR? Help me understand because I just don't ATM.

Greetings Commanders!

We hope you enjoyed our first dev diary release and stream. It was our pleasure to bring you the latest news on Odyssey and needless to say we can't wait to share more info around further locations, missions, combat and more in further episodes over the coming months.

We are aware that there are a lot of questions across the community and while we will be bringing a more detailed FAQ for these very soon we felt it was right to update you on a couple of the most discussed topics in the Elite Community at this time, specifically around VR in Odyssey, and ship interiors.

VR and Elite Dangerous Odyssey

We understand that our VR players are keen to know more about how the transition and gameplay will work in Odyssey in VR. With that in mind, we would like to share our current plan for how that will work.
In Odyssey, players will be able to fly down to planets, fly through atmospheres and drive along planet surfaces in their SRVs - all while remaining in VR.

When disembarking your ship or SRV, players will be presented with a projected flat game screen in their VR headset in order to continue on foot. Players will of course be able to remove headsets if they so choose, but this will not be a requirement to continue your adventure.

There will be no requirement to boot between Horizons and Odyssey in order to continue your journey.
We understand that VR is a big part of Elite Dangerous and is a feature that holds a dedicated and passionate community. However, we do strongly believe that VR should only be enabled for on foot gameplay when we have an experience that truly matches the same quality bar that we set for cockpits. That said, we do hope that this implementation will allow our VR players the best possible transition between their VR experience and exploration on foot.

Ship Interiors

Another topic we know players keen for more information on is around ship interiors, and we wanted to clarify our current position on this.

While Odyssey will see players explore a wide range of on and off world locations including station interiors, ship interiors will not be included at launch.

We understand that the bond between Commander and starship is incredibly strong and know this will disappointing news for some. However, we believe it is right to invest our development time in locations and features which offer the most meaningful experience and gameplay for all players. Rest assured that Odyssey will offer a great variety of long requested locations to explore, both on land and in space, which we'll be sharing more details around very soon.

As always, we value and appreciate your passion and feedback and cannot wait to share more with you.

-Arf

On VR - exactly the solution I expected you to go with all along, regardless of the arguably premature, although not altogether surprising, whining from some VR users (and the assertions of no VR, no buy). Good approach all the same, until such time as you can make the on foot VR worthwhile.

On ship interiors - I see no need for them until you're ready to include adequate gameplay loops to go with it. Again, exactly the course of action I expected all along.

Thanks for the update. It is good for those who had these concerns to have some unambiguous clarity on what can be expected at launch. Looking forward to the next Dev Diary (SOON?).

Hello,

Thank you for the update, I have further questions regarding the switch from VR to desktop and back. Your answers would be greatly appreciated.

1. Will we be able to also easily switch between game settings when switching display devices? For example some graphic settings, audio from VR headset to headphones, the image output itself etc. I would image this being handled by user presets, which could be switched at will from the game menu. Instead of fiddling with the individual settings one by one.

2. Since Elite supports head tracking like TrackIR in desktop mode as well, will the Odyssey portion of the game also support it? Can we look around without moving the whole body even on foot?

Great update, I don't really care about ship interiors, good that you are focusing on locations.

Thanks for the update.

Locations are entirely procgen. There's nothing extra to focus on. It's a cop out. 🤷‍♀️

Sorry, but once again, Frontier are taking the lazy "minimum viable product" approach, and then saying everything that should be there won't be "at launch".

History has shown that "not at launch" is FDev speak for "not ever". Nothing in this update changes that unfortunately. :(

Because they want to make sure you get the best possible experience perhaps, exactly as they have stated? Or would you prefer a sub-par on foot experience so people have even more to gripe about?
exactly that were the reasons why the stopped working on instancing, powerplay, multicrew, squadron management, ... /s

Actually, thanks so much for this! This is a massive relief for fans of Elite in VR. I bought a headset recently and figured I'd just skip Odyssey because VR is f***ing awesome.

This means I'll undoubtedly buy Odyssey. Even though it's not an ideal solution, it's good enough to deal with for sure.

Hopefully this gets worked on and improved further - I am totally ok with any locomotion option, but I understand that having VR controls is a significant step from how VR works in the rest of Elite.

Excellent news!

Not to go all Oliver Twist on you, but is there any chance of getting a one-button toggle binding between our preferred flatscreen and preferred VR graphics settings?

Much as I love VR, while I'm not getting an actual VR benefit from the headset I'd rather the blasted thing was off than on, and I'd like the transition to be just a matter of pushing a button and removing/replacing the headset.

On ship interiors - I see no need for them until you're ready to include adequate gameplay loops to go with it. Again, exactly the course of action I expected all along.
I agree, though TBH, in VR, you can already walk around the bridge of the bigger ships or down the corridor behind the seats in a Fer-de-Lance. I would be nice to go round the corners in a Type 9 cockpit or through the doors in the Cobra, or climb down to the lower seat in an Asp, but I can live without it.

I've already had a nosy around the cockpits/bridges of several ships in VR, checked out the coffee machines and read the display screens, so until there is gameplay relevant to them, there's not much else to do.

Top Bottom