ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey: Update on VR and Ship Interiors

Greetings Commanders!

We hope you enjoyed our first dev diary release and stream. It was our pleasure to bring you the latest news on Odyssey and needless to say we can't wait to share more info around further locations, missions, combat and more in further episodes over the coming months.

We are aware that there are a lot of questions across the community and while we will be bringing a more detailed FAQ for these very soon we felt it was right to update you on a couple of the most discussed topics in the Elite Community at this time, specifically around VR in Odyssey, and ship interiors.

VR and Elite Dangerous Odyssey

We understand that our VR players are keen to know more about how the transition and gameplay will work in Odyssey in VR. With that in mind, we would like to share our current plan for how that will work.
In Odyssey, players will be able to fly down to planets, fly through atmospheres and drive along planet surfaces in their SRVs - all while remaining in VR.

When disembarking your ship or SRV, players will be presented with a projected flat game screen in their VR headset in order to continue on foot. Players will of course be able to remove headsets if they so choose, but this will not be a requirement to continue your adventure.

There will be no requirement to boot between Horizons and Odyssey in order to continue your journey.
We understand that VR is a big part of Elite Dangerous and is a feature that holds a dedicated and passionate community. However, we do strongly believe that VR should only be enabled for on foot gameplay when we have an experience that truly matches the same quality bar that we set for cockpits. That said, we do hope that this implementation will allow our VR players the best possible transition between their VR experience and exploration on foot.

Ship Interiors

Another topic we know players keen for more information on is around ship interiors, and we wanted to clarify our current position on this.

While Odyssey will see players explore a wide range of on and off world locations including station interiors, ship interiors will not be included at launch.

We understand that the bond between Commander and starship is incredibly strong and know this will disappointing news for some. However, we believe it is right to invest our development time in locations and features which offer the most meaningful experience and gameplay for all players. Rest assured that Odyssey will offer a great variety of long requested locations to explore, both on land and in space, which we'll be sharing more details around very soon.

As always, we value and appreciate your passion and feedback and cannot wait to share more with you.

-Arf

That is fantastic news - thank you very much

Thanks for making this VR solution - I know many VR players who weren’t bothered about the on-foot sections felt that missing out on in-atmo cockpit experience was a major disappointment, so I’m glad it’s now going to be included.

I hope that there may be a further solution down the line for the leggy parts - but I’m intrigued by the in-helmet flatscreen option; it might be a bit like being Lt Gorman in Aliens, but with only one marine to direct and hopefully being a bit more effective at the task at hand :)

Pleased to say that after the crushing disappointment of Odyssey reveal day+1:

Hype Drive Re-engaging!

(and it’s also the day that the first trailer for Dune drops, double-whammy hype!)

Thanks for making this VR solution - I know many VR players who weren’t bothered about the on-foot sections felt that missing out on in-atmo cockpit experience was a major disappointment, so I’m glad it’s now going to be included.

I hope that there may be a further solution down the line for the leggy parts - but I’m intrigued by the in-helmet flatscreen option; it might be a bit like being Lt Gorman in Aliens, but with only one marine to direct and hopefully being a bit more effective at the task at hand :)

Pleased to say that after the crushing disappointment of Odyssey reveal day+1:

Hype Drive Re-engaging!

(and it’s also the day that the first trailer for Dune drops, double-whammy hype!)
Try something via Vorpx or Virtual Desktop - like playing, I dunno, hell, ED on a Cinema screen. Not "awful" by any means. :)

ship interiors will not be included at launch.

I'd like, if that is more honest: It isn't part of Odyssey. Point.
Otherwise people will have hopes, that it may come later.

Nevertheless it's utterly poor to exclude it as FDEV knows since 2014 that people would like to know what's sealed behind the cockpit/bridge doors. At least private rooms to spent ARX for.

I don't know what actual gameplay ship interiors could provide, aside from walking and looking at the rooms inside, so I'm not disappointed that it will not be part of Odyssey. Do it only when you have meaningful gameplay mechanics to support it with. Station interiors and social spaces are much more interesting to me, so I can't wait to see them in action! It would be awesome to meet some of my friends "in person", and maybe even give a hug to some fellow CMDRs. :) Thank you for the update, next Summer can't come soon enough!

That is actually good news. I was thinking i would have to boot up between being on foot once leaving ship/srv. Glad i wont even have to remove headset, so that is great news in my book. Its not VR, but it is. As for ship interiors, i think i can wait for that since we will be getting station interiors which would be better i would imagine.
Thanks FD! :)

Did I miss it or does this announcement not mention the "when" for VR? I know it says interiors not at launch, but VR support itself?

Top Bottom